Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been carrying a 642 on my ankle in a desantis ankle rig for a few days. It is mostly comfortable but tends to sag down my ankle throughout the day. Once it slides down it starts to rub a bit. I have ordered the calf strap and hope that helps. When it is in place it is quite comfortable and works great with my daily life.

For those of you ankle holster wearing types - what are some secrets you have learned?

·
Registered
10,612 Posts
Wear pants that are longer than what you normally wear. Especially important if you get in an out of tall vehicles like 4X4 pickups.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wear the Desantis Apache rig for 10 hours at a time with my P238.

The trick is to have a boot that rides just above your ankle such as:https://www.carolinashoe.com/3010

Also be sure the leading edge of the Velcro is not pointed down.
Good tips. Does the holster ride above the boot And sit on the upper edge?

·
Registered
6,356 Posts

·
Registered
10,612 Posts
I only wear mine while wearing duty boots. Never has been uncomfortable. The additional weight is not noticeable most of the time (G26), but I've never had to run with mine on. I am sure that would be quite a bit more difficult.

Also, my G26 has an extended magazine release, so I check the magazine periodically to ensure that it is still locked down. I have considered switching back to the regular release, but I have a difficult time releasing the magazine with a shorter release.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Wore a DeSantis ankle holster for a couple of years and then went to pocket carry. I wear jeans every day and the pocket carry is most comfortable in Florida with the heat.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I wear the Desantis Apache rig for 10 hours at a time with my P238.

The trick is to have a boot that rides just above your ankle such as:https://www.carolinashoe.com/3010

Also be sure the leading edge of the Velcro is not pointed down.
If I didn't wear boots, I don't think I could ankle carry. Right now I carry a P938 in a Desantis Apache, and it essentially rests on the top of my boot. But it's always been comfortable, never an issue.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
The calf strap will solve your problem.

Reactions: Libertywheel

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
One thing I will add about ankle carry. Plan on cleaning/ lubing your handgun MUCH more frequently! It will pick up alot more dirt/grit/moisture than traditional waist carry methods! Good luck!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. That way gravity works in your favor.
I have not tried a calf strap but think it would tend to also work its way down. I am on my feet all day though.
Time to get some new boots if the calf strap doesn't work. I have been wearing Georgia boot Romeo's (low top). I too am on my feet all day.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The calf strap will solve your problem.
MJK - you were spot on. Got the calf strap in mail. Wore it all day today with out any slippage. Makes the gun almost disappear.

The calf strap makes the holster work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts