Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BLACK ARCH ANNOUNCES THE PROTOS-M HOLSTER

Logan, UT — June 28, 2016 — Black Arch, a manufacturer of hybrid holsters, announced today the release of its latest product, the Protos-M. Designed to be completely modular, this holster is intended to meet the needs of those who carry daily, train hard, and compete to win.

The Protos-M is able to adapt to any mode of carry (IWB, OWB, and AIWB) by using one of three interchangeable backers. This means that you can carry your gun in different positions and levels of concealment with a single holster. The Protos-M uses their patent-pending ¾ Hybrid system, which means that you will experience the exact same draw no matter which backer you use (note: each backer is custom designed and only compatible with a single model of gun).

More than just a modular holster, the Protos-M is engineered for all-day carry and built to last. Precision-molded kydex, hand-finished leather, and stainless steel components all come together in this new design to create the highest quality holster possible. Completely redesigned backers provide a smaller footprint and make these holsters incredibly concealable and comfortable.

The Protos-M will retail for $94.95 with one backer included and is currently available for pre-order online at blackarchholsters.com. Individual backers will be available for $34.95. The complete Protos-M system box set will retail for $209.95, including one shell, three backers, extra hardware, and accessories. Pre-orders will begin shipping Friday, July 8th. All Black Arch holsters include free shipping and a lead time of only 2-4 business days.

Check it out at BlackArchHolsters.com

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Any chance of getting some photos of these styles while being worn? I'm especially interested in the OWB backing, and how close it holds the firearm to the body.

I've seen a few posts elsewhere that are wondering the same thing.

1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question. That's actually one of the things we agonized over and worked really hard to remedy. Here's the best picture I had on hand, just from our range trip last week. I'll try to snap a picture that better illustrates how close it holds to the body a little bit later today.

Protos-M

-Brian

1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As much as I'd love for you to buy a new holster, if you're having problems with retention, or anything else, we're more than happy to repair or replace your holster. Retention issues are definitely covered under our lifetime warranty.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
As much as I'd love for you to buy a new holster, if you're having problems with retention, or anything else, we're more than happy to repair or replace your holster. Retention issues are definitely covered under our lifetime warranty.

-Brian
I sent an email through your website about it Sunday morning but haven't heard anything back yet.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Good question. That's actually one of the things we agonized over and worked really hard to remedy. Here's the best picture I had on hand, just from our range trip last week. I'll try to snap a picture that better illustrates how close it holds to the body a little bit later today.
Thanks, Brian. I look forward to something more "head on", so we can see the closeness. And I like that you have a pretty high standard (as you noted in the other thread). I'm an OWB guy, but I'm hugely interested in this for the variety of options.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Dangit!!

"In order to give each version of the holster the smallest possible footprint, the backers are custom designed and cut for each individual handgun model."

I had a buddy all lined up to get one, in the hopes that he could buy separate shells to supplement his rotation. He still may, but now he's gotta think about it.

I still plan on it - just need some time to gather $210 spare change (I'm headed to my couch cushions right now!). :)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Couldn't you just order the holster and the two backs and just move the hardware from one to the other? Would be $165 if that's possible

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Couldn't you just order the holster and the two backs and just move the hardware from one to the other? Would be $165 if that's possible
Yes, but the $210 is for THREE backs, not two.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
The backs are $35 for each extra. The holster comes with one you choose for $95 then add the other two for $35 each. That gets you all 3 backs for $165

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The backs are $35 for each extra. The holster comes with one you choose for $95 then add the other two for $35 each. That gets you all 3 backs for $165
I gotcha. Interesting. It does seem that there are more than simply backs and a shell - there's some extra hardware. Makes me wonder how necessary it all is.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I just re read the page and that $210 package comes with all 3 backers but it also comes with every clip they offer for the iwb dual clip holster (loops, spring clips, jclips etc...) it also comes with spare hardware as well as a screwdriver.

Here is what the site says the kit comes with.

The Protos-M Box Set includes:

One 3/4 Hybrid Kydex Shell
One Single-Clip IWB Backer
One Dual-Clip IWB Backer
One OWB Backer
Steel powder coated clips
Steel J-clips
Tan Lock Loops
Black Lock Loops
Spare Hardware
Screwdriver

My question is if I purchase the iwb dual clip holster now then in the future decide to get the single clip backer does that new backer come with the new single clip that is required?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am in the market for a new holster and I really like these but the price is now really pushing up there bit on the high side. Your competing with Alien Gear who has had modular type system for some time and they are half the price. You both have great products but it's hard to want to spend that much extra when you can't see a huge difference. I like it because you guys are in Utah but it still hurts to pay that much.

You need that OWB in a cross draw config. Keep going and add a shoulder rig that makes use of it as well. How about a custom IWB base the has almost no cant compared to the original. ( I know its adjustable to some extent but for me it is not usually enough to be as comfortably placed as I'd like).

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Very cool, love to see my friends in the Kydex industry pushing forward innovative and unique designs.

Great ideas, very creative.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I am in the market for a new holster and I really like these but the price is now really pushing up there bit on the high side. Your competing with Alien Gear who has had modular type system for some time and they are half the price. You both have great products but it's hard to want to spend that much extra when you can't see a huge difference. I like it because you guys are in Utah but it still hurts to pay that much.

You need that OWB in a cross draw config. Keep going and add a shoulder rig that makes use of it as well. How about a custom IWB base the has almost no cant compared to the original. ( I know its adjustable to some extent but for me it is not usually enough to be as comfortably placed as I'd like).
Have you had one of their holsters? I have had both and there is no comparison between blackarch (formerly SHTF gear) and aliengear.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I think the difference is that BAH makes the backings to be model-specific, in order to keep the profile low. That's both good and bad, depending on how one looks at it.

1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

We certainly considered our competition when we developed this holster and settled on the price point. That said, they are fundamentally different products. That becomes apparent with a side by side comparison. We will do a few comparisons of the holsters showing how they stack up against other items on the market in the next few weeks.

-Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts