Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a job interview today in Philadelphia (The birthplace of freedom and democracy?), about the 4th form in the packet that I had to fill out was their weapons policy (zero tolerance even with permit).

It did not however say anything about private vehicles but forbid carry in the workplace.

The way I see it is:
1) It said nothing of the property, it stated workplace.
2) My vehicle can't be searched without a warrant.
3) What they don't know (in my car) won't hurt them.

Your Opinions?

Note-I don't have the job yet but maybe. Though I don't care for their policy, if one needs a job.........?
It is a 2 hour commute each way, lots of ops for road rage in gridlock conditions and I've experienced that before, a guy was actually hitting an old pu truck I had w/ a baseball bat while driving down the road.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Well if it doesn't list parking lot or your car then your good to go ...

Our contract list personal or company car specifically .. course i went in on my off day today and you bet ya i had a 38 on.. not one clock should be good my boss i have now is very pro gun the contract is from corporate

·
Super Moderator
24,206 Posts
IMHO (non-attorney, TG), it says "workplace" and if it does not specifically state "parking lots and adjoining property", I would construe that as you see fit. Recognize they will not define workplace this narrowly, and would likely include the parking area. This could result in termination. You might review the employment statutes and regs, as well as case law to see if there is any guidance in Penn.

I think you've analyzed the risks correctly, though, contingent on further review of the laws and regs.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I would like to interpret taking ''workplace'' in the most literal and specific sense - without grey. Meaning off premises OK even in parking lot.

It would seem tho prudent to dig a bit deeper - maybe in such a way you don't simply cause a non-useful rewording!!! Subtle detective work!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If it says no weapons on the premisis, that does not include the parking lot. Only within the treshold. Even if it included the parking lot I'd still carry and leave it in my car. Better jobless than six feet under.

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
Don't ask, don't tell is my theory. If I were to keep my CCW in the truck while at work ( and it was against policy), I wouldn't mention it to anyone.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I agree with Rocky....if the question is asked for clarification's sake, then corporate counsel will only "tighten-up" their anti-gun policy to include company parking lots and/or adjacent property.

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
about your car

most jobs i've held in PA (i live in scranton) have the same rule. however, "workplace", in most cases, includes the parking lot. just make sure no one knows about it. most jobs i've held (aside from warehouse jobs) won't even allow a knife onto the premises, let alone pep. spray or firearms. don't feell too bad. in scranton, i can be arrested and/or fined for carrying something like a swiss army knife or a leatherman. carrying of bladed tools is strictly prohibited in lackawanna county.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Some times "WE" forget to keep our mouth shut. Is the JOB better than your life??? Sometimes it is better to get the job and do what you need to do to keep your self alive.

frankmakol

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Since you asked for opinions, here's mine:

I'd interpret that as the building. Leave the gun in the car, especially with the 2 hour commute. I'm sure you are smart enough not to mention it, so how would they find out? Just let someone else drive to lunch.

As long as it's not criminal, what's the worst that would happen? Get fired? Like the saying goes... "You were looking for a job when you came here..." After all, if it turns out to be your dream job and you somehow learn they mean the parking lot, too, you could always quit carrying it to work. :blink:

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have the same situation, a 2 hour commute and a work policy that says no firearms in the workplace. I cannot drive that long in traffic with all of the road ragers around and not feel that I can safely defend myself. Get the DAC Sport Safe and mount it in your trunk. Luckily my back seat folds forward and is locking allowing me to as I'm getting my briefcase out to put my carry gun in the safe. If you don't have a folding rear seat get yourself a center of mass locking gun holder and put the gun in there first then carry it to your trunk and put it in the DAC Safe. Remember that leaving a loaded weapon in your car is dangerous too if someone breaks in, thus the reason for the safe. At least even if they break in they cant get the gun. It works really good. And just as with CCW anywhere don't tell anyone you have a gun. Not even your closest coworker. I have attached some links to see these items:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DAC-SportSafe-G...ryZ52501QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7232376205&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX

·
Registered
58 Posts
If it syas "workplace" then I would think that you are fine to have your pistol in your car. But if it says "premises" then that would include the parking lot and all of the area that the company owns. So technically you could not keep it in the car. But then again what they don't know wont hurt them as long as you don't advertise that you are carrying.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have a question relating to the topic. In PA state laws are supreme and local laws can not be more restrictive. How is it a company can then be more restrictive than the state. Example, I have a friend who's work policy states no weapons, but there is absolutely nothing stopping customers from having weapons in his place of business.

As for the original question I'd say keep it in your car and keep your mouth shut about it.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
500Mag said:
I have a question relating to the topic. In PA state laws are supreme and local laws can not be more restrictive. How is it a company can then be more restrictive than the state. Example, I have a friend who's work policy states no weapons, but there is absolutely nothing stopping customers from having weapons in his place of business.

As for the original question I'd say keep it in your car and keep your mouth shut about it.
Becuse he works there and customers dont same as my place of work i cant carry but if i go in as a customer off the clock i can

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think the question of the company being more restrictive than the state comes down to this:

It's not "illegal" for you to carry at work but it is illegal to carry someplace that the state forbids. Your work can ask you to leave or fire you but you wouldn't be thrown in jail for it.

Companies don't make laws - just policies.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Sounds like the military solution: If it's not specifically and expressly with extreme detail...forbidden then it's allowed. OR the short version: Always easier to beg forgiveness for something you already did than to beg permission for something you wanna do....

·
Registered
988 Posts
Typically, with the many companies I have worked for in the past, both in NH and in MA, "workplace" encompassed all of the property said buisness operated on or owned. The parking lot or any parking area not specifically located on a public road was subject to "workplace" jargon.

If your handgun was seen in your car out in the parking area, I would assume that some spineless wimp could take you to the unemployment line over it. Depending on how important the job is to you, the "don't ask, don't tell" policy may be right up your alley.

Just be prepared to stand up for your rights and morals over the money if push comes to shove.

·
Super Moderator
25,571 Posts
jahwarrior72 said:
in scranton, i can be arrested and/or fined for carrying something like a swiss army knife or a leatherman. carrying of bladed tools is strictly prohibited in lackawanna county.
That's unreal. Not even New York City has gone that far (yet). Do they really enforce that? Have you actually seen the wording of that law? I know a lot of places have a blade length limit, which can get stupid, but I don'r recall ever hearing of a couny wide ban.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Two things that I thought I would add. First, the company does not need a warrant to search your car. If they felt like paying the costs of repair and maybe a civil suit (although I don't know how that would work out being that you could be and probably are parked on their property), they can search every single inch of your car.

You are probably wondering hey, how can they violate my 4th amendment rights? The answer is because you 4th amendment rights only protect you against the government and its agents. In other words, if anyone searched your home, car, garage, garbadge can, etc. and they don't work for the government, your 4th amendment rights have not been violated. The 4th Amendment only gives you protection from government, not private entities like your employer. If you work for the government of course then the 4th Amendment does apply.

Second thing I thought I would add is that companies own private property. For the most part, just like you at home, companies can make their own rules about things like behavior, dress, chewing gum, surfing the net, and guns that they want. Obvious exceptions are harrassment and the like. That is how companies can make rules and policies more stringent than what state law allows. Violating those policies could take you from honored and welcomed guest to trespasser, depending on the attitude of the employer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts