1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Again someone feels he's being a good citizen and goes to far. Now he has lost his gun and the right to carry a gun. Would love to know the amount of training this individual has had.

Reactions: kmanick

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
.....here we go again...CCL Badge and Sash...please.

Reactions: Sister

·
Registered
943 Posts
Again someone feels he's being a good citizen and goes to far. Now he has lost the right to own and carry a gun. Would love to know the amount of training this individual has had.
His CC license was revoked on a misdemeanor charge. He didn't lose his right to own firearms, just the ability to carry one on his person. At least legally.

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
But Instructor Zero does this in a video, and he like.... trains the best of the best and stuff!

That was back in the days of the wild,wild West.

We now live in the weird, weird West, so everyone needs to realize that and make the appropriate adjustments in how you respond.
AND the weird, weird north east!

Reactions: Kennfd and Hodad

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Dang, it always worked on..."Bonanza". :blink:
When you're out in the mountains of New Mexico and official lawmen might be riding horses 200 miles "thataway", you have to do what you have to do. Although the stories of the "Wild" West are much less wild when actively researched (almost nobody was allowed to pack heat while in most towns for one). This guy is a moron, and the smug look on his face tells me he's not that concerned over what could have happened. Like a bullet ricocheting off the ground and into an unarmed and innocent individual. I think the two mental health employees could have done a few things differently as well in transporting and handling the unstable person. But this guy was nowhere near within his right to draw that weapon, let alone fire a round.

No halfway sane CCW instructor is going to tell you "If you see anything going on, you can use lethal force." You use lethal force if another weapon is involved and you have real reason to believe that in the next few seconds somebody is getting a life-threatening injury or is about to die. And usually, that means it's about to happen to you or the person you are with (family, friend). You don't get a permit that says you get to play Superman and save every person you meet from a stolen purse or a black eye.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
His CC license was revoked on a misdemeanor charge. He didn't lose his right to own firearms, just the ability to carry one on his person. At least legally.
Yeah, I found it interesting then that the judge did this:

“I’m going to order that his gun be confiscated and turned over to the police department for proper disposal,” Craig said when handing down a sentence.
I guess this was a form of a monetary penalty. I have a problem with the judge mandating the penalty be made with a specific piece of property. I have no doubt that this judge did that out of political motivation because it was a crime with a "gun" involved. I've never heard of a judge mandating that a person's vehicle be destroyed because of a DUI.

I think the guy was a yahoo and had no business carrying. But, the story is obviously written by an anti-2A person. He did everything to put this person and (by association) all carriers in a bad light.

The one thing that stuck out to me was that one of the victims testified that when they were trying to subdue the man that he was yelling “Help me. They’re trying to kill me. Somebody help me.” I wonder what would have happened if a cop had been there. I recall the incident about a year ago with another black man with a special needs client and the police shot him while he was laying on his back with his arms strait in the air. The excuse being that the officer though the special needs guy was going to shoot the man with his his toy car and he was aiming at the special needs guy and missed. Yet, after the miss, the officer did not continue to engage the target to neutralize what he perceived to be a threat.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Ill advised conduct, I do believe. Jury found him guilty of a misdemeanor.

Not sure if the article was a news story or an editorial. The latter, I presume.

Curious - what power did the Judge have to confiscate the weapon? While I am for penalties under the law, I do not support capricious actions by the Court. I'm not familiar with the laws of that jurisdiction, so I wonder if the Judge can simply have the firearm seized and destroyed.

·
Registered
20,078 Posts
Once again, education on the law would prevent a lot of this stuff...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yet another example of what will happen if you pull it and use it.....you get second guessed, by officials, who will judge you to the letter of the law....being an morbidly over-weight wanna-be not withstanding.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
OMG, what a moron! The judge did exactly the right thing imho. Too bad he couldn't do MORE>

Reactions: Banditto

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
IMO, you should only intervene if there is not a 'choice'. If there is a choice, an option, be a good witness, call it in.

In matters of personal extreme danger, or loved one, there is no 'choice'. In fact when you insert, it's now up to you to prove (in some states) that it was a felony in progress. Some states do have laws which make it the state's job to prove it was 'not'. But best to chose the other option. We all have phones now.

You might actually get charged with assault if the people you shot, struck, pulled apart, decide to press charges.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Hummmmmmm.

Well, the biggest issue was firing a warning shot. The rest could be arguable, because it was 2 on 1 and the guy was yelling for help ... inserted they were trying to kill him....... so I think you had to be there to determine how physical and what kind of fight /struggle it really was to even try to guess. Doesn't sound like one that was with any intent to harm, beat up, etc.... which should have been a big clue not to insert a gun into it at all. To me , it suggests he over-reacted.... but I didn't see the altercation / fight.

I would more then likely agreed with the Jury's verdicts.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I dunno I feel kind of bad for the guy. He was trying to be of help I think.. yes the guy fired a warning shot, and once you do that you have crossed the line,.. However in his defense, the man was screaming for help saying that the 2 black attendants were "killing" him... He did call the police, and I believe he was trying to save a life in his mind..

Think about this for a second- he lost his permit, but if it were an actual "murder attempt" or assault he stopped , would he still have lost it ,taking the exact same action? A good question.
Maybe we would be praising a quick thinking hero, instead of ridiculing a yahoo. OR, you might have a judge that still would have revoked his permit for discharging a weapon, regardless... The guy probably should have taken more time to assess what what he was looking at before discharging his weapon.... bob

1 - 20 of 47 Posts