Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, he sure was, and it was my son. He went to deliver a pizza, and arrived at the wrong address. Several intoxicated men told him "he had 3 seconds to get out of there." He ran to his car and they chased and surrounded him, and then attempted to pull him out of his car. This is when he retrieved his weapon from the glovebox, and told them he just wanted to leave.They backed off, and he returned to his place of employment, when minutes later, these clowns arrived banging on the door demanding my son come out. Of course he didn't, so they decided to "ram" his car. They took off and flipped their truck miles down the road. Emergency response let them go and no one has been charged. After all of this, our son went on to complete his shift. When we arrived, he was in the store mopping and washing dishes, only to be handed walking papers two days later. This has got to stop! Delivery drivers are being shot and killed across our country on a daily basis, yet, they are prohibited from having a means to protect themselves. Thankfully, we live in Florida and have

Statute 790.251

Protection of the right to keep and bear arms in motor vehicles for self-defense and other lawful purposes; prohibited acts; duty of public and private employers; immunity from liability; enforcement

This is a lengthy statute, but specifically states in Section e:

(e) No public or private employer may terminate the employment of or otherwise discriminate against an employee, or expel a customer or invitee for exercising his or her constitutional right to keep and bear arms or for exercising the right of self-defense as long as a firearm is never exhibited on company property for any reason other than lawful defensive purposes.

Well, we're going to see a constitutional rights attorney tomorrow. Hope all goes well, and will post updates if anyone is interested. Hopefully a positive outcome will help others who find themselves in similar situations.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Did he call 911 when this happened or as he was driving away?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
87 Posts
There was a pizza delivery guy that was murdered here in Colorado just last week..... He was a married father of three that was working an extra job to provide for his family.... If he were carrying concealed the outcome could have been different.....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Absolutley right in florida you can not be terminated/discriminated against. I would let the manager know and get a lawyer if necessary. Its appaling they would do this to a young man trying to defend himself against a gang of assailants, what are they scared they wouldnt get to sell a pizza to these credents again.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Memphis. I hope you and your son get a good lawyer. Obviously either the manager of the pizza place either didn't know the law or didn't care. Either way, he violated your son's rights.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I wonder if they'll try to say his car is company property while being used to deliver pizzas? Either way, this is absolutely ridiculous. I wish you all luck in fighting this.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I wonder if they'll try to say his car is company property while being used to deliver pizzas? Either way, this is absolutely ridiculous. I wish you all luck in fighting this.
If they do then I suppose they wouldnt mind at all fixing it for him on their dime or their insurances dime

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I would definitly press charges against them if I were you. Assault, false imprisonment, and property damage. Try to get some press on it and maybe he can make some money doing interviews, or at least get some publicity to try to convince delivery companies to change their policy.

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
...I like section (e)...we need this in TX!!!
Yep, he sure was, and it was my son. He went to deliver a pizza, and arrived at the wrong address. Several intoxicated men told him "he had 3 seconds to get out of there." He ran to his car and they chased and surrounded him, and then attempted to pull him out of his car. This is when he retrieved his weapon from the glovebox, and told them he just wanted to leave.They backed off, and he returned to his place of employment, when minutes later, these clowns arrived banging on the door demanding my son come out. Of course he didn't, so they decided to "ram" his car. They took off and flipped their truck miles down the road. Emergency response let them go and no one has been charged. After all of this, our son went on to complete his shift. When we arrived, he was in the store mopping and washing dishes, only to be handed walking papers two days later. This has got to stop! Delivery drivers are being shot and killed across our country on a daily basis, yet, they are prohibited from having a means to protect themselves. Thankfully, we live in Florida and have

Statute 790.251

Protection of the right to keep and bear arms in motor vehicles for self-defense and other lawful purposes; prohibited acts; duty of public and private employers; immunity from liability; enforcement

This is a lengthy statute, but specifically states in Section e:

(e) No public or private employer may terminate the employment of or otherwise discriminate against an employee, or expel a customer or invitee for exercising his or her constitutional right to keep and bear arms or for exercising the right of self-defense as long as a firearm is never exhibited on company property for any reason other than lawful defensive purposes.

Well, we're going to see a constitutional rights attorney tomorrow. Hope all goes well, and will post updates if anyone is interested. Hopefully a positive outcome will help others who find themselves in similar situations.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Im glad your kids ok, sue the company then have your kid open up a pizza joint where all the drivers and employees wear a full combat load, AR15/w240rds, side arm, three man fire te-um delivery teams. No more murdered delivery drivers.

Reactions: Spec

·
Registered
659 Posts
Fire teams are 4-man ;)
Not anymore due to sequestration. Not enough money for 4. :gah:

On the serious side, glad your boy is OK physically. I'd go after the pizza joint and try to get a pile of cash, but I sure wouldn't go back there to work. And like Ghost1958 said, I'd make them fix the car, especially if it happened back at the pizza joint on THEIR property.

Ace

·
Registered
46,054 Posts
"...or expel a customer or invitee for exercising his or her constitutional right to keep and bear arms or for exercising the right of self-defense as long as a firearm is never exhibited on company property for any reason other than lawful defensive purposes."

According to that statute, a store owner/manager cannot ask you to leave for CC'ing even if you gun is noticed. Interesting. I wonder if there's any case law on that aspect.

Do keep us informed as to the outcome of the employment issue.

·
Registered
46,054 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Glad your son is ok. He did the right thing in my opinion and should be commended for keeping calm and using the least amount of force necessary. I hope all works out well. If I were him, I would seek a civil suit against the persons as they committed numerous crimes in their moment of stupidity, and I would also seek a a civil suit against the employer as you are doing. I am not one to usually condone lawsuits, but this is some serious BS and everyone needs to be held accountable.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.