Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am posting this as a heads up to those that have AR's in different calibers. A moment of distraction is all it takes.

Another exploded AR-15

People. It is imperative that you pay attention to your guns and your ammunition.
This is the 5th exploded AR due to chambering .300 Blackout ammo in a 5.56 that I personally know of.

5. Five. Number 5. Five total.

Five so far...meaning that I am almost positive that it wont be the last one I see. A Doctor. A Lawyer. A Nuclear Engineer. A Cop. A guy that owns a concrete finishing business. It can happen to anyone.

Take a guess as to what happened here. If you guessed that .300 Blackout ammo was once again fired in a 5.56 AR-15, your guess would be correct.

Yes...it is possible to fire a .30 caliber projectile through a .223 barrel. The parent case of the .300 Blackout is in fact a .223 case.
Its the main reason that the .300 Blackout is so popular. All you have to do is change out the upper. Its uses the same magazines. The same bolt. It's easy and quick to change out and its nice and convenient. It takes maybe a minute to change one out.

The buffer spring is strong enough to push the bullet all the way into the case and since its a .223 case that is simply cut off at the neck and sized up to .30 caliber, there is nothing to stop it from chambering. When you pull the trigger on such a round, all that pressure has to go somewhere. The .30 caliber bullet gets swagged into the barrel. The pressure looks for the path of least resistance which is usually the receiver.

The receiver being made of aluminum is not built to take that kind of pressure and it essentially turns into a hand grenade, with your hand on the trigger and your face inches away

Here is a picture of the upper receiver of an .223 AR-15. The lower was destroyed. The buffer tube threads were stripped, the handle was cracked, about the only thing usable was the FCG and the stock. The owner suffered a numb hand for awhile. He was lucky.

Pay attention. The life you save may be your own.

Not to mention that your high dollar rifle is no more. Gonzo. Kaput.

Not a good way to end the day.

exploded Blackout.jpg

If you are wondering how a .30 case can chamber in a 5.56/223 chamber, take a look at this.

300 Blackout headspace on 223.jpg

Be careful. One distracted moment can tear your stuff up.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
Great PSA. Yikes, that cutaway chamber picture is scary.

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
My AR's are 5.56.
For anything larger, I want a bolt gun anyway.

But that's a great heads up for people who do swap out.

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
Reminds me of the 12/20 kabooms with shotguns, myself I double check my ammo and only have the caliber appropriate to the firearm I am using on the firing line.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
My .223 gets P mags. My 300 BLK gets black GI mags only. My 300 subs will not run in P mags anyway. So that helps out a little on my end. That and having 2 different, dedicated guns. That would make for a bad day.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the heads-up. I had no idea a blackout would chamber in a 556. It would definitely be a horrible day at the range if it happened for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
It can be easy enough to get it wrong, though only once here, a .380 loaded into the 9mm. Nothing untoward happened. Thanks for the informative post, OP.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Great post, thanks for the reminder! I want to build a 300 BO and this thread is a great example of what can happen when we don't pay attention or get distracted.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Thanks for the PSA! My AR's are all 5.56 and 9mm I doubt there would be any confusion there. That is one reason that all my AR's will continue to be 5.56 or 9mm!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Excellent post. This represents another reason to be an engaged member of DC!

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Yeah, one reason I am only going 223/556 in my AR.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
That upper looks to be missing a bit of material.

Reactions: Rock and Glock
1 - 20 of 29 Posts