Defensive Carry banner

81 - 100 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Fox reports the officer has resigned, and the Chief said he would have fired him if he hadn't. They also said that he officer was called out for a "welfare check," and that the officer shot her from outside and through a window. It looks like a bad shoot to me at this point.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Cop resigned today. Chief said he was prepared to fire him, but he resigned before that happened.

I’m afraid Fort Worth is about to see lots of turmoil. She wasn’t resisting or running or caught breaking the law. There’s no excuse for what this guy did.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Damn sad.

I'll be more sorry if all the blame lands on the officer and isn't shared by the department. Easy to make a young guy the scapegoat, but this feels deeper than that to me. Right now it seems like the chief is ducking what looks like a bigger issue, but, of course, the story hasn't been fully told yet.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Fort Worth PD has been in turmoil for a while.
They are getting sued by the former police chief for wrongful termination.
The Chief now is an interim one.
Like I said, these big city governments have their police always twisting in the wind.
They never know if anyone has their back.
Darn hard way to do a hard job.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Like the other case, I would think manslaughter would be more appropriate.

·
Registered
33,875 Posts
Arrest was inevitable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How does anyone justify this shooting, at all? I mean, I know we have LEO apologists, bootlickers, haters, and all shades in between, but damn. He shot her before he was done yelling at her.

How do we concealed carriers get held to a higher standard than these people? I won't even peek in my own windows without telling my wife it's me. Why didn't he use the front door? So many questions, and I know being a cop is hard, but wow.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I agree with you in spirit. However, Murder vs. Manslaughter can be defined differently from state to state. In Texas, murder is defined as:
(b) A person commits an offense if he:
(1) intentionally or knowingly causes the death of an individual;
(2) intends to cause serious bodily injury and commits an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual; or
(3) commits or attempts to commit a felony, other than manslaughter, and in the course of and in furtherance of the commission or attempt, or in immediate flight from the commission or attempt, he commits or attempts to commit an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual.
Whereas Manslaughter is
A person commits an offense if he recklessly causes the death of an individual.
(a) A person commits an offense if he causes the death of an individual by criminal negligence.
Based on what has been reported thus far, the he intentionally fired upon the woman from an alleged threat which is an act that is "clearly dangerous to human life" and resulted in her death. I don't think he can claim it was "reckless" or "negligent" if he is also stating that he pulled the trigger intentionally. I have no doubt he didn't go up to the house with the intent of shooting anyone, let alone an innocent woman. Perhaps, he accidentally pulled the trigger because he was "surprised" by the person on the other side of the window. If that was the case, he should have said so instead of using the "I (unreasonably) feared for my life" tactic.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I agree with you in spirit. However, Murder vs. Manslaughter can be defined differently from state to state. In Texas, murder is defined as:

Whereas Manslaughter is

Based on what has been reported thus far, the he intentionally fired upon the woman from an alleged threat which is an act that is "clearly dangerous to human life" and resulted in her death. I don't think he can claim it was "reckless" or "negligent" if he is also stating that he pulled the trigger intentionally. I have no doubt he didn't go up to the house with the intent of shooting anyone, let alone an innocent woman. Perhaps, he accidentally pulled the trigger because he was "surprised" by the person on the other side of the window. If that was the case, he should have said so instead of using the "I (unreasonably) feared for my life" tactic.

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think he 'intended' to kill her. Her death was the result of his actions, yes. His actions might be construed as negligent (that's beyond my ability to know). So manslaughter would seem the more appropriate charge here. However, I don't know all the facts and am just speculating out loud. Probably a bad idea on my part. :redface:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Then what did he intend to do when he shot her center of mass? I don't know who taught your concealed carry classes, but in mine, we were taught that any time you shoot, be prepared to destroy the target. The same reason why we tell people that cops don't shoot at arms and legs, cops don't shoot to incapacitate, since that's not what firearms do.

I don't know, maybe the military was wrong as well, and you don't shoot to kill, it's not one shot one kill, it's shoot to scare? One shot, one cripple?

·
Registered
7,838 Posts

Whereas Manslaughter is

This is true. It seems to me like there is a giant gap between the two charges. I remember that the weird wording was a topic of discussion with the other case as well.
Then what did he intend to do when he shot her center of mass? I don't know who taught your concealed carry classes, but in mine, we were taught that any time you shoot, be prepared to destroy the target. The same reason why we tell people that cops don't shoot at arms and legs, cops don't shoot to incapacitate, since that's not what firearms do.

I don't know, maybe the military was wrong as well, and you don't shoot to kill, it's not one shot one kill, it's shoot to scare? One shot, one cripple?
You shoot to stop the threat. Not to kill, not to destroy the target or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'm no lawyer, but I don't think he 'intended' to kill her. Her death was the result of his actions, yes. His actions might be construed as negligent (that's beyond my ability to know). So manslaughter would seem the more appropriate charge here. However, I don't know all the facts and am just speculating out loud. Probably a bad idea on my part. :redface:
I posted the law regarding murder for Texas. There were three conditions under which a person can be charged with murder. Only #1 requires intent to kill. #2 requires intent to cause serious bodily injury. Shooting a firearm is intent to cause serious bodily harm. I don't think he intended to shoot at the homeowner to scare her or to only give her a bruise. Manslaughter requires criminal negligence, which is when a person "should have been aware of the risk" that resulted from their actions. E.g. killing someone while speeding or driving drunk would probably fall into this category.

This is what is on the books in Texas. "Manslaughter" sounds right because other states define those differently. Of course, no one thinks he approached that house with the intent of murdering the woman. But it will be tough to state he did it negligently without contradicting his earlier statements (based on what was reported). And, if he does try to change his story and state that he accidentally fired his weapon, I think it will cause a bigger problem as it will "prove" to those that are so inclined, that officers will lie about perceiving a threat to get off.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I've watched the video a couple of more times and I'm beginning to suspect he had an ND. Hyped up on adrenaline, he has less than a year and a half on the job, I think he very well may have not intended to discharge his weapon but that's still just a guess. I don't know anything yet about the proximity of the victim's weapon, I'm assuming she didn't have it in her hand.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I've watched the video a couple of more times and I'm beginning to suspect he had an ND. Hyped up on adrenaline, he has less than a year and a half on the job, I think he very well may have not intended to discharge his weapon but that's still just a guess. I don't know anything yet about the proximity of the victim's weapon, I'm assuming she didn't have it in her hand.
They finally released a picture of her gun. It was apparently nearby, so she MIGHT have been holding it. It’s not going to matter much, but at least the cop/perp saw something. It’ll be even worse for him if it’s proven she only was holding an iPhone.

This lady was no dummy, either. She had a real education, and a real degree from a real school. She was smart enough to refrain from doing something stupid, which is also bad news for the cop/perp. The word tragedy is often overused, but not here.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nothing like sitting up late playing video games with your nephew and getting killed by a trigger happy cop. Departments need to spend more time on draw and shoot. I hope he goes to prison.

·
Banned
250 Posts
Where are you getting your details from?

In the short video I watched the screen/glass storm doors were closed even if the inner wood doors were open. Saying the door was open is not exactly the case.

- if I am misinformed, PLEASE post up the link to the video you saw
- I might be looking at a different video

·
Banned
250 Posts
There is a big difference between "bad cops" and inept cops.
Yes, there will always be bad cops as in any other profession but when you allow people to wear a badge that 50 years ago would not made the grade you have problems.
I grew up in a cop family in the late 50's to the 80"s and those men wearing the badge were some of the finest, bravest, compassionate men I ever met.
Most if not all of them had just come back from the war. Not romanticizing the past, just the facts of my personal interaction with them.
Most made a lifetime commitments to the force. Most all had retired after 20-30 years on the force.

- totally agree with your sentiment
- professionals is what they TRULY were back then
- still pros today, but it seemed like a much higher percentage back then

·
Banned
250 Posts
- oldest lawyer game in the book
- accidentally on purpose overcharge the cop with murder
- automatic aquatal since he legally committed manslaughter
- it will be legally difficult to prove he INTENDED to kill her UNLESS he confesses this to detectives or later takes the witness stand and confesses to this like Guyger foolishly did

- I am glad he did the NOBLE thing and quit... removing the risk from the streets

- the sad part about this case is the woman was a good person. AP nerd, pre-med, fun auntie playing video games w/ her nephew. Faultless. Everything society says a good person should be..

- that's what's sad here..

- i think in this case everyone is putting emotions aside, not picking 'sides' and trying to seriously get this sloppiness to stop.

- RAISE THE BAR on police training like it was back-in-the-day...
- maybe even force rookies to use a 6-shot service revolver like the old days so they learn condifence, markmanship, and trigger discipline...

- would this cop have still shot early IF he only had 6 chambers of 38+P or 357mag?
- them 6 shots cops had back in the day meant something -- they were for serious situations ONLY.

- modern-day 8 shot 357 revolvers exist... bring em back (SW TRR8, etc)

just a thought........

:)

·
Banned
250 Posts
They finally released a picture of her gun. It was apparently nearby, so she MIGHT have been holding it.

- every man in here would have told his wife/gf the same thing
- if you hear BS at 2:30am outside, grab the gun and be ready for forced entry...
- though in the cop's defense of course Id tell my wife to close the doors and keep them locked!

81 - 100 of 158 Posts