Defensive Carry banner

Another 'more than one of the same carry gun' thread

1101 Views 37 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  Eric357
This is not the same "how many of you have more than one?" thread. This is my mystery that may not have an answer, but here goes

I have three P238's. They are different models, but the same gun, and all manufactured within a couple of years. They are: The original Scorpion, with the ambi safety; The Rainbow; and the SAS. My magical local gunsmith worked on the safeties of all 3 (which were way too stiff) and they are now "just right" when it comes to off during the draw, and on when reholstering. Other than that, and the plastic "shim" layers I put under the grips (same on all 3), they are as they came from the factory. They all came with the 'SIG nite lites.'

They are all great little guns and soft shooters BUT each time I shoot the SAS it seems to work better in every way than the other two: softer recoil, more accurate, etc. and so forth. With the rounded edges (which make it especially nice for in and out of the holster), it just feels better in every way.

I wear shooting gloves so the grip texture is not a factor for me.

Could it be possible that the looks have influenced my perception of the performance?

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Pattern

Now the question:

If you have more than one of the same gun, does one of them work noticeably better for you?

Curious grannies want to know. 馃懙
See less See more
  • Love
Reactions: 5
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is not the same "how many of you have more than one?" thread. This is my mystery that may not have an answer, but here goes

I have three P238's. They are different models, but the same gun, and all manufactured within a couple of years. They are: The original Scorpion, with the ambi safety; The Rainbow; and the SAS. My magical local gunsmith worked on the safeties of all 3 (which were way too stiff) and they are now "just right" when it comes to off during the draw, and on when reholstering. Other than that, and the plastic "shim" layers I put under the grips (same on all 3), they are as they came from the factory. They all came with the 'SIG nite lites.'

They are all great little guns and soft shooters BUT each time I shoot the SAS it seems to work better in every way than the other two: softer recoil, more accurate, etc. and so forth. With the rounded edges (which make it especially nice for in and out of the holster), it just feels better in every way.

Could it be possible that the looks have influenced my perception of the performance?
Maybe.

Now the question:

If you have more than one of the same gun, does one of them work noticeably better for you?

Two Taurus 856s, one 2 inch barrel, one 3 in "Defender". The 2" is too new, it's too early to tell.

I've had mutltiple Makarovs. Triggers did vary, one to another. (I should "re-home" the one remaining one. I'm unlikely to ever shoot it much.)

Two XDS-s. A 9mm and a .45. I think the .45 has a nicer trigger, at this point. (I did some smoothing work, to deal with a not going into battery problem.)
Reactions: 2
Hard to believe SIG stopped making the P238s. Mine always gets compliments when others fire it. Maybe it was to sell the P365 in 380 acp?
Reactions: 1
Hard to believe SIG stopped making the P238s. Mine always gets compliments when others fire it. Maybe it was to sell the P365 in 380 acp?
I think: They mistakenly thought that the PLASTIC larger capacity gun would be so popular that no one would want the little 1911 STYLE all metal guns. THEY WERE DEAD WRONG! I 'sold' a heck of a lot of P238's over a few years just by letting people shoot one mag through one of mine. In fact that is how I got my first one - one mag and I HAD TO HAVE ONE - It was not optional. Yep, I'm shouting.
Reactions: 3
Nope.

I have two P365's. Can't tell the difference between them.

Also have a 442 and a 642. Can't tell them apart except by looking at them.
Now I know why I can鈥檛 find an SAS p238! Granny is hogging them all! LOL

Well, after a new RA medicine shots, and PT, seems like the hands and fingers are doing better and able to move back up to 9mm. 380s are still in the background though. So back to the G26 Gen 5. I have three, yea three, identically set up. One for EDC, one for dryfire and presentation, and one for weekly range use. I switch out monthly, on the 2nd. I can get by with just two, but then I have to unpack my range bag to get one, which I hate to mess it up or I have to unload my EDC which I don鈥檛 like to do. So it鈥檚 worth the money to have a third for OCD and safety reasons.
Now I know why I can鈥檛 find an SAS p239! (P238) Granny is hogging them all! LOL
馃槉 馃懙馃槉....FIFY......
Actually, I lucked out and found that P238 SAS model NIB sometime after SG had discontinued that model. They are pretty much un-obtainable, even at inflated prices on gunbroker. There are a couple on line gun stores n PA that have had stock in the past when no one else did and I was lucky to find this one at its "regular" price.
  • Love
Not really, Granny.
Bakers dozen+ 1911s & multiple S.A.A.'s, trigger pulls on some would be the only real difference.
Reactions: 4
I have a Sig P365 and P365XL. They are basically the same gun with interchangeable parts. I swap the slides and grip modules as the need arrises. I installed the curved trigger in the P365XL FCU so it matches the curved trigger in the P365 FCU.

View attachment 411759

Now the question:

the SAS is going to be the smoothest out of the box and will get better quicker than the other 2, it's not your imagination, all SAS models go through Sigs in house custom shop and get that extra attention, now with a whole lot of shooting the other to should smooth on up and catch up with the SAS in about 10 years 馃憤 馃榾
  • Helpful
the SAS is going to be the smoothest out of the box and will get better quicker than the other 2, it's not your imagination, all SAS models go through Sigs in house custom shop and get that extra attention, now with a whole lot of shooting the other to should smooth on up and catch up with the SAS in about 10 years 馃憤 馃榾
I so hope that my "heirs and assigns" keep those guns and shoot them a whole lot so they CAN become as smooth as the SAS! 馃懙 鉂
Great P238's you have there, I have 3 - P938's and have found they all shoot a little different.
  • Love
Great P238's you have there, I have 3 - P938's and have found they all shoot a little different.
Sometimes I forget that guns, kids (singles and/or twins) and puppy dogs each have their own personalities! 馃懙 馃ゴ
I have three S&W model 66 revolvers, two with 2.5 inch barrel and one with 3.0 inch barrel. I have carried one occasionally, but normally carry a semiauto of some type. I got the 3 revolvers over time as I saw them for sale, and did so because I like them, consider them classics, and they are good shooters. I can't say that one is more accurate than the others, as they all seem about the same in that regard.
See less See more
  • Love
  • Love
I have a pair of P365-380s and a pair of LCP MAXs, and both pairs shoot about the same as far as I can tell.

I've gotta tell you though @ShooterGranny, if those P238s were mine, I'd swap the grips between the SAS and the Rainbow. Years ago, I swapped the grips between my P938 SAS and my P938-22, and those rosewood grips just looked so sweet with the stainless slide on the SAS.
I have a couple "duplicates. More J frames than I need, and a pair of 45 commanders. Two of the J frames that I often carry have had trigger work done and the sights painted, so they work a hair betteer.
I have a pair of P365-380s and a pair of LCP MAXs, and both pairs shoot about the same as far as I can tell.

I've gotta tell you though @ShooterGranny, if those P238s were mine, I'd swap the grips between the SAS and the Rainbow. Years ago, I swapped the grips between my P938 SAS and my P938-22, and those rosewood grips just looked so sweet with the stainless slide on the SAS.
Considering that I'm using blue locktite and "extra long screws" (SIG brand) to hold the grips on with my layers of plastic underneath, I'm leaving things right where they are! And anyway, when I'm shooting them I don't see the grips........ 馃お

For barbeque, if ever I should need a barbeque gun, I have my Browning Black Label Pro 1911-380 which is a beaut, and a little larger gun, which would show up better in its beautiful custom made holster. I am blessed with some nice "stuff."
Reactions: 4
I have three S&W model 66 revolvers, two with 2.5 inch barrel and one with 3.0 inch barrel. I have carried one occasionally, but normally carry a semiauto of some type. I got the 3 revolvers over time as I saw them for sale, and did so because I like them, consider them classics, and they are good shooters. I can't say that one is more accurate than the others, as they all seem about the same in that regard.
View attachment 412623
Absolutely gorgeous set.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts