Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of looking for a used motorcycle. Now I got to thinking while watching some bikers going down the freeway tonight on my way home from work. Do those of you that carry while riding prefer holsters that have some sort of retention device or not? When I say retention I am thinking like thumb breaks and that sort of thing.
Mike

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Mine rides in and inside pocket with a snap strap on it. Good for retention. In winter when I wear my other jacket I'll use my regular carry rig. OWB no strap. I ride a cruiser, so I'm not all crouched over though.

-Scott-

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I stick to normal EDC - OWB. I have usually got my vest on and sometimes over that, the leather jacket. I know a fall on the gun would not be pleasant but - it's what I stick with.

I have no retention strap.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I ride and carry daily. I use a Milt Sparks Versa Max II under either a vest or jacket depending on the temperature.
Never had a problem with it, but I ride an Electraglide. I would expect that it would not work on a sportbike without printing.
Good luck. :smile:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Another rider here. IWB w/a Kahr P9 or pocket carry a J frame .38. The way I figure it, if I dump it's going to hurt no matter what!

God Bless
Gideon

PS forgot to mention, I ride a cruiser also with Mustang Seat w/Backrest so I have to wear my IWB about 3:15. Much further back and it's pressed against the backrest. My First Gear jacket has perfect pockets w/zippers that I use for the .38 so retention is perfect there....

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I am gathering that all of you feel that retention of the holsters is sufficient. I am using K&D holsters so the pistols are very secure. I was just curious how everyone felt on the issue.
Mike

·
Registered
726 Posts
Mike 1:
I also have a K&D IWB for my HK USP. I use this with a vest when I ride. Never had any trouble. When I'm going to work, I use a fanny pack because I have to remove the gun before entering the premises. I can do this with a fanny pack without exposing the weapon. Never had a problem with this rig either. Both work fine for me.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Food for thought:

I saw a guy on the highway a while back who was carrying in the SOB position with a IWB-like holster...

His shirt had some un-tucked, so bewteen his jacket and his shirt flapping in the wind, he was advertising to everyone that he had a Hi-Power Compact...

I tried to catch up to him and planned on a subtle "your gun is showing" gesture, but it wasn't safe int he traffic.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I keep a taurus 85 ultralite in a De Santis nemesis pocket holster in my pocket while riding. Riding in the winter will be a different story.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I ride an H-D Ultra, so not too much bending forward. I ride with the same carry rig I normally use, not much different from sitting in a chair. LOL, guess that's an advantage to riding a 'Geezer-Glide' !!! :wink:

All my OWB pancake style holsters have the thumbreak, that's just personal preference. I just happen to prefer the thumbreak strap between the cocked hammer and the pistol as another safety option with my 1911.

Depending on your riding style (leathers or not) here is an option that a few of my riding buddies use:

http://coronadoleather.com/

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I carry normally, IWB. Doesn't matter what I ride or drive: motorcycle, trail bike, bicycle, Blazer, car, whatever. IWB all the time. If my jacket comes up and exposes my gun whooptie freaking doo. Open carry is legal in MI and if someone has a problem with me carrying firearm that is their deal. I am doing nothing illegal and they need to get over it. Especially the yuppie liberal IL tourists that come up here.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I don’t need a retention strap, but my scooter only goes 45mph:redface:

What I really want is a left-handed throtel:image035:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the tips guys. Still searching for a good deal on a bike. I am sure one will come along.
Mike

·
Registered
269 Posts
Please forgive the slightly off-topic post, but what kind of bike are you looking for?
I am selling a Big Dog Pitbull for $16,000. Contact me if you are interested and want details.

photo

Good luck. :smile:

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I'm probably the only one that owns a sportbike here and I also don't have any problems w/o a retention strap on my iwb carry. I've even carried Mexican this way with no issues. It may not be super comfortable, but I'm happy to know it's there.

EDIT: I carry a Px4 which is a full size pistol, so that might make a difference to some of you that carry smaller weapons.

·
Registered
814 Posts
SammyIamToday said:
I'm probably the only one that owns a sportbike here and I also don't have any problems w/o a retention strap on my iwb carry.
Nope. I have a couple of sportbikes and carry as well. If just out and about for a quiet ride(read helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots, OWB strong side kidney w/o retention strap in my Beltster.) If going on a "spirited ride" (full leathers-one piece), I carry in a leftie shoulder holster inside my leathers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I carry in a motorcycle tank bag.

The bag is right in front of me, and I can access the Kahr MK9 as fast or faster than if I was wearing it under my protective gear.

I've hit the ground twice while riding (several years back). Even my reading glasses, kept in a shirt pocket underneath my jacket, left a scrape and bruise on my chest. I don't even want to think of what a large, metal object on my side would have done.

Ron

1 - 20 of 23 Posts