Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I signed up back in March, but I guess I never bothered to introduce myself.
I'm still a "wheel gun" man, partly because I work for the State of North Carolina in an armed position and they arm us with revolvers.
Don't get me wrong, I love the thump of a .45, but I like to carry at home what (or similar to what) I carry at work. The old "Do it the same all the time, and you won't forget where you are." syndrome.
My forum name gives away what I do in my spare time, along with orienteering, geocaching, and benchmark location. All four have me out in the "boonies" a lot, and I live in a rural community where open carry doesn't raise eyebrows. Still, there are times when "what and if" are my business. :wink:
As my profile notes, I'm a retired Military Reservist (Army National Guard) I enlisted in the VA Guard long enough ago to have been armed with the Garand and M-1 Carbine. Used the M-14 in Basic and for the first four years of my Regular Army duty time, then we went to the M-16. The reserves had M-16's by the time I went back after Viet Nam.
The State arms its Correctional Officers with S&W Model 65's (.357 magnum), Ruger Mini-14's, and Remington 870's. Of all the "long guns" I've handled, the "real" M-14 has to be my favorite.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Welcome from right below you, GA. I have a Smith & Wesson Model 65. I didn't know that agencies still issued these. Mine is a sheriff's department trade in, but it is in good shape.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Welcome to CC :smilez: and thx for the great intro.

I teethed on wheelguns and they are still something of a passion but carry has gone the semi route.
"Do it the same all the time, and you won't forget where you are."
Quite agree on that one - the main reason I encourage folks to not chop and change carry pieces.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doc Holliday said:
Welcome from right below you, GA. I have a Smith & Wesson Model 65. I didn't know that agencies still issued these. Mine is a sheriff's department trade in, but it is in good shape.
As you may know, S&W has discontinued the 65. The last batch NCDOC bought has a problem with throwing the barrel downrange after 200-300 rounds, :gah: so they're talking about transitioning us to something in the 9mm family (probably by Smith & Wesson, in order to make up for the last contract)
Ratz! What am I gonna do with all these pretty wheelguns? :biggrin2:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
oldrailfan said:
As you may know, S&W has discontinued the 65. The last batch NCDOC bought has a problem with throwing the barrel downrange after 200-300 rounds, :gah: so they're talking about transitioning us to something in the 9mm family (probably by Smith & Wesson, in order to make up for the last contract)
Ratz! What am I gonna do with all these pretty wheelguns? :biggrin2:
Any more specific details on the model 65 problems. I really have no idea how many rounds that have been fired in mine with it being second hand and all.........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doc Holliday said:
Any more specific details on the model 65 problems. I really have no idea how many rounds that have been fired in mine with it being second hand and all.........
I haven't been there when it happened, and they've suspended sidearm quals until the problem is resolved, but I understand that it's only the last ones made that have the problem; all are stamped "Model 65-6" inside the cylinder carrier. The older ones are apparently OK. If yours doesn't have the hammer lock, it's probably not in the problem group. Makes me wonder about my "686-6" though. I'll prob'ly drop back the .38+P's to be on the safe side...

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Welcome from Washington state. Good intro.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Welcome from Arizona - :smilez:

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Welcome from Idaho

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I qualified at Advanced ROTC summer camp at Ft. Bragg with the M-14 and agree that it is the best long gun I have fired as well. The M-1 was a great gun and the M-14 when the work was finished on it was a logical improvement on the M-1. When I went on active duty we called the M-16 (I'm dating myself here) a "Mattel Shootin' Shell."

Glad to have you.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
That makes me feel better because my Smithy is a 65-3.
Thanks for the info.:wave:

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
Belated welcome and thanks for taking the time to type out the into.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Welcome from Dallas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dr_cmg said:
...When I went on active duty we called the M-16 (I'm dating myself here) a "Mattel Shootin' Shell.".
Allegedly, a few of the M-16's (not A1's) were built my Mattel Corp. I never saw one, but I did have several, at different assignments, that were fabricated by the Hydramatic Division of General Motors.
As a side note, the mortar platoon in my National Guard Battalion had two 107mm (4.2 in) mortars that were built by Whirlpool Corp. in the early '50s. From what I understand, the "four-deuces" are gone, replaced by a "super 80." Anyone?

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
oldrailfan said:
Allegedly, a few of the M-16's (not A1's) were built my Mattel Corp. I never saw one, but I did have several, at different assignments, that were fabricated by the Hydramatic Division of General Motors.
As a side note, the mortar platoon in my National Guard Battalion had two 107mm (4.2 in) mortars that were built by Whirlpool Corp. in the early '50s. From what I understand, the "four-deuces" are gone, replaced by a "super 80." Anyone?
It is funny who made some of the equipment used my the military. I was an armor officer and one of the armored personnel carriers we had, either the 113 or the 114, was made by FMC. I first thought that was Ford Motor Company, but after a little checking I found out it stood for Food Machinery Corporation.
:haha:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.