Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from a new member in Dallas. I'm an old guy who is new to CCW. Three or four years ago my wife began bugging me to teach her to shoot. This coming after forty years of living with a lady that had a deathly fear of guns. After listening for a year to her I asked a friend if he would teach her to shoot. The friend is an NRA cerified instructor.

The first session was a couple .22 revolvers so she could learn SA and DA. The next week was .22 semiautomatic. The following Saturday was the gun show at Market Hall in Dallas. She was looking for her first handgun. She decided on the Buckmark Camper but wasn't ready to buy. On the way home we stopped at the store and purchased our first handgun. She is the proud onwer of a Browning Buckmark Camper.

I took the CC class last December and she took it in January. We both have our license but she hasn't decided on what she wants to carry or how. I have an East German Makarov 9x18. She's considering a Makarov 380, Bersa Thunder 380, or Kahr P9. She's waiting to try the Bersa and the Kahr at a local range.

Bumper, thanks for the web site. It's been most informative. I really appreciate all the hard work you're doing here.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Welcome from GA.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
John - welcome :smilez:

Never to late to act on the uptake of CCW - glad you and wife made the decision. Our world becomes less and less safe - good move.

The Mak is viable - I have one but many folks find it a shade too heavy for carry, plus the heel mag release. The Bersa .380 could suit your wife well - I transitioned my wife to that and bought one for my step daughter when she turned 21.

Anyways - trying out stuff is perhaps the only real way to know what works.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Welcome to the ranks, glad to have you with us. I know you will enjoy this site, lots of good info here!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Welcome from another Texan

Welcome to both of you. I'm about 120 miles northwest of DFW. I'm assuming your wife lurks here as well, considering her high interest in guns and concealed carry. I'm not an avid poster, but I hang out here as much as the frequent chatterers. This is by far the friendliest place on the planet. Also congrats on 40 years together.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Welcome from another John. Glad to have you here.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Welcome from Arizona - :smilez:

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Congrats and welcome from Idaho

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Welcome from Alabama. My wife carries a Bersa .380 as well. At the moment my carry weapon is a Russian Makarov in 9mm Makarov. I agree with P95Carry it is a little too heavy for the power it brings to the table. It is accurate though. I purchased a Sig P239 in 9mm on Thursday and now have to wait for it to arrive. After some range time I plan for it to be my daily carry piece.

Jump in anytime.

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
Welcome to the forum, hope both you and your wife enjoy it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
George and Chris, thanks for the suggestion on the Bersa 380. We're headed to the range so she can try one today.

I'm very grateful to have found this site. The civility of the posts far surpasses any other site I've seen. And a 'Hello to all. Thanks for the welcome.'

·
Registered
236 Posts
Welcome from Virginia. :wave:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.