Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I seem to be having a few of them lately.

A while back (July?) I told Tangle I would run a few of my .223 reloads through my Rem. 788 and post what numbers showed up with my chrony. Of course life got in the way and I finally got out today to the range. It was a late night decision, like at 12:30 AM when Perry Mason went off, and I didn't really do a lot of prep, mainly throwing ammo and stuff in my range bag and pulling the 788 out of the safe, where it has rested and not been shot in over a year.

So I arrive at the range, pay my fee, and get checked in and set up at my firing station. The 100-yard range has been reduced to 50 yards with all the rain. Lots of downrange flooding. No biggie, I'm only checking velocities.

I load up with some Speer 52-grain HPs on top of IMR-4198 and pull the trigger.

Click.

Images of powderless cases danced in my head. I pull the round and check the primer--light strike. Three more tries, all the same results. Einstein is right, I'm insane, or at least hard to convince.

I take a moment to analysis the problem. The case head space is a bit "snug," but I knew that going in. Shouldn't be an issue. I pull the trigger a few times on an empty chamber and noted instead of a sharp snap I get a sluggish click.

Hoping to remedy the situation, I pulled the bolt and checked with the RO, who had a small center punch I could use to break down the bolt. Yep, gunky, congealed oil. I sprayed the inside of the bolt and firing pin in hopes of dissolving and breaking up the gunk, wiped it all down and reinstalled the bolt in the rifle. Still a sluggish click.

I switched to a few round of properly sized rounds with 55-grain FMJBTs and 19.5 grains of 4198 and managed to get one to fire. Enough was enough, and I called it a day rather than get all frustrated. No one, not even me, likes a frustrated curmudgeon.

Back at the homestead, I broke the bolt down again, flushed it with Hoppes #9, scrubbed the inside of the firing pin chamber thoroughly, sprayed a quarter can of Brakeclean on the firing pin assembly and tried it all again.

Snap!

Probably should have cleaned it before I went. The velocity of the one shot was 2841 fps, by the way. A bit lower than I expected, but can't judge the load on one shot only.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
I remember some of the bench rest guys always kept a little can of WD-40 around. That stuff will break down some of the worst gunk. That may not have been what it was there for, but a number of them told me about it.

Of course, periodic inspection works best. And as @KILTED COWBOY said...some so-called lubes cause more problems than I like.

·
Registered
33,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let the record show --- I didn't use Froglube on this rifle. So you're transferring your apples onto oranges.

I hadn't broken down the bolt in over 25 years. I think dry air would have congealed in that time. And I've never had a problem with FL on any gun I've used FL on, so get over that gripe and move on. It was "gun" oil that gobbed up. So there.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Let the record show --- I didn't use Froglube on this rifle. So you're transferring your apples onto oranges.

I hadn't broken down the bolt in over 25 years. I think dry air would have congealed in that time. And I've never had a problem with FL on any gun I've used FL on, so get over that gripe and move on. It was "gun" oil that gobbed up. So there.
You sure did.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts

:kabong:

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts

In the famous words of Sgt Hulka. "Lighten up Francis". LOL

·
Registered
33,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
33,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I remember some of the bench rest guys always kept a little can of WD-40 around. That stuff will break down some of the worst gunk. That may not have been what it was there for, but a number of them told me about it.

Of course, periodic inspection works best. And as @KILTED COWBOY said...some so-called lubes cause more problems than I like.
Right. While WD-40 is not a preferred lube, it does have it's place in some situations. WD-40 is great for breaking up crud in the action and it will provide some lube for a short amount of time. If that's all you got, then it better than nothing and it will allow a firearm to function. I was in the same situation as OldVet, went out to shoot and rifle wouldn't cycle for crap. Sprayed WD-40 in the action, got it freed up and shot for several hours after. When I got home, a complete tear down and a deep clean and lube was performed. I always keep WD-40 in my range bag, truck, tool box, in the house, in the shop or wherever, cause it has so many uses.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Right. While WD-40 is not a preferred lube, it does have it's place in some situations. WD-40 is great for breaking up crud in the action and it will provide some lube for a short amount of time. If that's all you got, then it better than nothing and it will allow a firearm to function. I was in the same situation as OldVet, went out to shoot and rifle wouldn't cycle for crap. Sprayed WD-40 in the action, got it freed up and shot for several hours after. When I got home, a complete tear down and a deep clean and lube was performed. I always keep WD-40 in my range bag, truck, tool box, in the house, in the shop or wherever, cause it has so many uses.
IIRC, WD stands for water displacement. It's (often) great for breaking up corroded stuff, but better products are available for general lubrication.

I've never used the frog stuff, but I've had pretty good luck w Hoppe's products and a few other CLPs.

·
Registered
33,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yet another reason to not clean your guns...lube causes all sorts of problems.:image035:
I'm still trying to figure out how it got into the bolt like that because other than a wipe down with an oily patch and a wipe clean, that's all it gets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts