1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
264 Posts
Instead, [Ayotte] backed an alternative measure written by Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) that ignored gun shows and internet sales entirely, instead focusing on encouraging states to submit mental health information to the background check database.
:icon_rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Another RINO, eh?

Will they ever stop with the anti-gun stuff? I guess not...:hand1:
Nov 2014 can get here soon enough.:smile:

·
Banned
163 Posts
Hypothetically, what is wrong with background checks for all gun sales?

Why would we want any gunsales to possibly sell a gun to a convicted felon or someone wanted for murder?

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Creation of database; increased cost of transactions to the point dealers would be charging prohibitive amounts (already do that with internet transactions); and overwhelm the current, underfunded NICS system just so felons/fugitives can continue to get guns anyway through theft, black market, and straw purchases. Not to mention the increased use of bombs by lone terrorists - imagine if a couple of those pressure cooker bombs went off in Aurora.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Hypothetically, what is wrong with background checks for all gun sales?

Why would we want any gunsales to possibly sell a gun to a convicted felon or someone wanted for murder?
Some view it using the 'slippery slope' viewpoint, once UBCs are established, that opens the door to tightening the rules progressively, costs etc. Some express legitimate concerns, others take it really far into tinfoil hat land like national registries to prepare for confiscations, the UN treaty etc. This tends to be among the crowd who believe other things such as all these states passing laws forbidding enforcement of federal laws actually have any legal weight.

Realistically, UBCs could be a really pain in the rear, especially for frequent private buyers/sellers at gun shows.

·
Banned
1,029 Posts
It seems she was opposed to background cks,but,wanting to maybe update NICS,and improve what we have now.That's what they need to do.They need to do their job,and stop with all this bull.They going to end up,having more laws.They can't enforce the one's they have now.No sense in even bringing up,that little thing we have,called the constitution,smh.

·
Banned
163 Posts
Some view it using the 'slippery slope' viewpoint, once UBCs are established, that opens the door to tightening the rules progressively, costs etc. Some express legitimate concerns, others take it really far into tinfoil hat land like national registries to prepare for confiscations, the UN treaty etc. This tends to be among the crowd who believe other things such as all these states passing laws forbidding enforcement of federal laws actually have any legal weight.

Realistically, UBCs could be a really pain in the rear, especially for frequent private buyers/sellers at gun shows.
I know for a fact, that background checks takes less than 5 minutes.

Seems like more of a nuisance and inconvenience than anything else.

I fully support nuisances and inconveniences that keep law-abiding citizens from selling guns to felons and folks wanted for murder, rape, child-abuse, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reactions: phreddy and Sister

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I just wrote the good Senator ; basically saying if she was going to vote for or against any bill, at least know the facts vs the propaganda talking points, and vote that way for the right reasons.
I then explained that dealers at gunshows still require a 4473 and background / NICs check, there is no such thing as "unlicensed dealers" selling guns at gun shows. That is purely a made-up term by the Bloombergs, etc.

Also, that on any internet sales the gun can only be shipped to a Federal Firearm Licensed dealer (paperwork sent by the FFL to sender & verified by the sender) and when it's shipped and received by the FFL dealer.. they are required then to have the buyer do a 4473 form and do a NICS / background check on them before they ever can get the gun. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know the laws , or is lieing.

This is only about private sales, which it also requires the person to have a reasonable belief that the person is legal to own the gun, and keeping me from being able to give or sell my grandfather's rifle to my brother without stupid paperwork and background checks..... which is another way of just trying to create a National Registration of guns. I suggested she could easily verify anything I was saying .... by simply talking to any FFL dealer.

I wrote one of our Senators on this over a year ago, and they told me that I was WRONG .... and we went back and forth and then one of his staff called me ... as he wanted "more information" .... and finally.... they did enough checking to find out that I was giving them accurate information. But it took some time to "get it" ... that they had been lied too.... by someone.

The "misinformation" being put out there to the public on this , is just friggin amazing. And rather thand verify if it's true or not, they just believe the garbage they are being told.

Write them, write them, and then ... write them.... keep them informed and challenge the "misinformation" campaign going on with our Senators and House Representatives. Don't just sit back and complain. Let them "KNOW" .... and contact them.

·
Banned
163 Posts
I support expanding BCs to include internet sales, newspaper /ad sales, and all gunshow sales.

Family transfers/sales should be exempt.

I support all states updating NICS with all current mental health info on folks who have been deemed mentally defunct by a judge.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Two is too small a sample to make a statistical inference much less an absolute claim stated as a fact.

I've had some take hours and others take days.

You are welcome to your opinions but please take better care of the facts.

Opinions are opinions.

Statements posted in a declaratory manner should be supportable, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
7,792 Posts
I support expanding BCs to include internet sales, newspaper /ad sales, and all gunshow sales.

I support all states updating NICS with all current mental health info on folks who have been deemed mentally defunct by a judge.
I don't know what "deemed mentally defunct by a judge" means. What is the standard? What evidence can be presented? What about doctor & patient confidentiality? If a wife leaves her husband and the man is deeply depressed, and during depths of his despondency he seeks professional counseling and tells his shrink he thinks he's suicidal, does that meet your standard? What if after a year a therapy the guy has emotionally recovered? How is this data "wiped" from the NICS database?

These solutions are simple on paper. Implementation is the problem, and the risk of abuse outweighs the minimal protections such laws would provide, in my opinion.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts

Please read the laws or talk to any FFL dealer.... what you just said ..... doesn't happen and doesn't EXIST. The laws now ... require anyone buying a gun from a dealer at a gunshow (who has to be an FFL dealer) has to do a 4473 form and the dealer will do a NICS / background check on them.... and if they pass it, then they get the gun..... if not and are denied, they don't. PERIOD. That's the LAW NOW.

Same goes with Internet sales. NO ONE can order a gun on the internet and it be sent to them ... PERIOD !!! It's ILLEGAL NOW !!!! The gun has to be sent ONLY to a VERIFIED FFL dealer..... who then requires the buyer to do a 4473 form and will do a NICS / Background check on them ..... and again, if they are passed.... they can get the gun... .and if denied (due to something in their background) they DO NOT GET THE GUN.. PERIOD.

So.... all you are doing is to repeat what the LAW IS NOW !!!

So, what are you for changing ? The ONLY change is taking away doing private sales between individuals and creating a National Gun Owner Registry.

Where do you think criminals get guns ??? There is not an LEO around that can't tell you...... they are boughten off the streets from people in the black market.... and the guns are gotten from stealing them from gun shops, owners, or across certain borders. Some.... have gotten onto the streets by stealing them out of Police Dept property rooms.

Oh... so you have a Conceal carry license, which means you had to prove you were a law-abiding citizen with no criminal background to disqualify you from owning a gun, and .... it's current.... and I shouldn't be able to sell you a gun ? You can show with the CC license, you have already passed all of the checks. What's going to be different then if you pay an FFL to redo what's already been done by the State ?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts