Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
If that was me and I had seen a round wasn't chambered, I would have probably tried a disarm, hopefully taking the thugs finger along with the gun as I ripped it out of his hand. But then again, why risk it if it's not my money?

·
Premium Member
36,723 Posts
If that was me and I had seen a round wasn't chambered, I would have probably tried a disarm, hopefully taking the thugs finger along with the gun as I ripped it out of his hand. But then again, why risk it if it's not my money?
It's not about the money.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
The darn gun isn't isn't in battery rofl. How stupid can someone be? I wouldn't have fought over the gun. There's no point in that. I would have turned and ran out of the back door.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Just goes to show you....if you are gonna rob a joint with an empty mag...don't try to rack the slide first......:gah:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Like how the cashier calmly takes off his gloves and digs out the cash. No hurry, no real surprise, just another day in paradise.

Robber gave more than one chance to take his gun away. Especially when he was using it as a pointer.
Extended arm, flexed wrist, perfect time to break his trigger finger while disarming the would be thug.
The fact that it had an obvious malfunction just makes the disarm safer for the cashier.

Reactions: bigdrowe and OD*

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Would you have tried it?

Probably not if i didn't know if he had a round chambered. That is a VERY risky move to try with a LOADED gun pointed at you. You better have practiced a gazillion times and been fairly sure he would have shot you had you tried nothing.

Wev'e practiced this disarm as well as Massad's version in my tactical shooting class. Word to the wise, DON'T practice this if your training gun has a trigger guard... just sayin'!

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Just goes to show you....if you are gonna rob a joint with an empty mag...don't try to rack the slide first......:gah:
Mag wasn't empty, the round failed to chamber and can be clearly seen on tape.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Or this option.

1:03
2:06
2:12
7:45

When the perp puts the gun lower pointing the muzzle at the money, off line slightly, grab the gun and face plant him on the counter, or drag his happy arse over the counter.

I don't want to shoot anyone again while I have other options. Now, lets play "the plane, the plane" fantasy that could very well be executed by an enterprising clerk with some skills.

Disarm the turd, unload it, hand it back to him stating "you weren't ready, here, you get a do over"
Disarm the turd, draw your own gun, order him to surrender ID, tell him to get lost, he's banned for life

This robbery, even if the gun were in battery, is far too easy to end without gun play. No need for strength, just some good hand speed and a pair to go for it and pull it off. At 65, I've got plenty of hand speed to take it from him before he realizes he's lost it. I know I make it sound easy, that's because

IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have to think about making a play for it, maybe it's not the best choice for you personally. However, it's still so easily accomplished, the guy is begging someone to take it from him. I'd simply be obliging him.

·
Premium Member
36,723 Posts
Here's how I see this, from the comfort of my back yard---

This one, instead of taking him to the ground, he gets dragged over the counter with a broken wrist.

The robber was definitely robust enough to merit the broken wrist.

Reactions: OldChap and AzQkr

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Would you have tried it?

1:07, I have to not make any moves that makes him shoot me. Then he raises his hands and this moves. :confused:

1:24, he man, whatever you need, just let me know?

1:50, he unbalance off line. No need to do so and telegraphs the move coming.

3:35, he unbalances again

This is NOT the guy I want training me or mine disarms.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Gun disarming works great on video, so do knife disarms. In real life, not so easy.

Reactions: msgt/ret and AzQkr

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
The robber was definitely robust enough to merit the broken wrist.
Yes, in the clip with Matt, he's trying NOT to let me break his wrist over and resisting as much as he can, and he knew it was coming. If he'd not gone to ground, his wrist would need repair. The turd in the video is a novice, some who post here are not.

·
Premium Member
36,723 Posts
Gun disarming works great on video, so do knife disarms. In real life, not so easy.
I would much rather do a gun disarm. If the gunman doesn't know what he is doing, it is easy. If he does know what he is doing, it's probably better to just pay the man.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I gave you a like, but you're incorrect. I've disarmed two on the streets with nary any effort at all. One when the gun was about to be pointed at a dep sheriff I was standing beside while he served a warrant on the guy, and not me, at the front door. As he brought the gun to bare on the dep, I snatched it out of his hand. A little chrome plated POS .25.

I've worked against heavily resisting students who couldn't get the lead into me before I took the gun in a struggle. In fact, both street encounters were far more easily accomplished due to the fact they, unlike students, didn't have the first clue they were about to lose the gun.

A lot of people are under the same impression you are in your post, that's simply not true when one has the speed and brass to work the perp. In this scenario he was begging to have the gun taken. In this one, the leo knew it was coming and couldn't pull the trigger as I'd bound the cylinder in the grab several times, so I told him I'd just get off line and move the gun before it went off.

This isn't something you try if you don't KNOW you can snatch guns from people. But some of the training was more realistic at counter terr school than one will see in any commercial course offering. In the editor, from the time I move my hand to start till the time I touch the gun while off line of the muzzle is .16 seconds. Action beats reaction EVERY time, unless one is geriatric. Geriatric need not attempt these lest they get shot.

The mentors weren't developing novices in staying alive.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts