Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an abused 12ga 870 Express Magnum. 20" smooth bore w/rifle sights. I don't think it had ever been cleaned. Rust in the mag tube, slide rails, bolt and firing pin. About a five inch build up in the bore. The wood finish was worn but the checkering was still crisp. I think the only thing that saved the exterior was the Parkerizing.
Stripped it down completely, scrubbed and de-rusted everything, cleaned and lubed the trigger group, worked the wood with bronze wool and "old English" followed by a coat of old school Johnson's paste wax.
Got rid of the Tasco scope and mount. Midway came through with a set of anti-walk pins from Mesa Tactical.
I think it came out pretty well considering the condition it was in.
IMG_20201110_203800359.jpg
Part_1 (9).jpeg

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
very nice job. I’m a shotgun goy and very partial to 870s.
one thing I was stumped on was the mention of anti walk out pins. I’m guessing that they replace the two receiver pins?
I have never had a problem with them working out. Was that a problem with your gun?

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
very nice job. I’m a shotgun goy and very partial to 870s.
one thing I was stumped on was the mention of anti walk out pins. I’m guessing that they replace the two receiver pins?
I have never had a problem with them working out. Was that a problem with your gun?
The originals had been replace with the screws to mount a side saddle scope mount. If you look at the first picture, you can see how messed up they are. The originals were on backorder so I ordered the anti-walk pin kit.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
MAN, that THING IS NICE, now! VERY GOOD restoration! Seems to me you picked up a passel of buckshot to feed that thing a little while back too.

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MAN, that THING IS NICE, now! VERY GOOD restoration! Seems to me you picked up a passel of buckshot to feed that thing a little while back too.
I should have taken a pic before I started on it.
Yea, I still have a lot of 12ga 00. In addition to the low recoil buck and slugs I found in a cabinet last week.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Nice job. Who would let a weapon get into that condition?

Reactions: OldChap and airslot

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Way to go Sir.

Reactions: airslot

·
Super Moderator
18,555 Posts
And it'll work like a champ too. Good show Airslot!

A 20 gauge Magnum Remington 870 lives here and is a mostly unsung, yet regularly used part of the hunting battery. Was found at a county firearms auction of confiscated guns conducted by the Sheriff's department. It wasn't so rusted as yours, just a bit scuffed and very dirty. Bought for way less than cheap, it was offered near the end of a long auction. No one else bid on it. I ventured an opening bid only viewing it from 40 yards away, without knowing a thing about its condition. Cleaned up to be a first rate shotgun. Was full choke so I had it cut for choke tubes and it sees service dove hunting and exhibits surprising capabilities at ducks over decoys, though I prefer my beloved 2 3/4-inch 12 gauge guns for that purpose.

This is the only photograph I have of it in the dove fields a few years ago.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
A nice old 870 is worth a bit of elbow grease to restore it. Good job.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Little bit of loving and you have a nicer street sweeper than what you could get brand new from the LGS. They don’t make them like that anymore.

·
Registered
13,009 Posts
Very nice. But how does it shoot? I'm a sucker for old wood and steel.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Very nice work airslot; that piece came out beautifully!

Reactions: airslot
1 - 20 of 25 Posts