Defensive Carry banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Rescued an old Remington 31 (predecessor of the 870 series) from a pawn shop about 20 years ago. Bore was heavily fouled, and after removing that I found rust in the bore as well as the magazine tube. Took a 1/2" dowel rod, cut a slot about 2" into one end, slipped in a double-layer strip of 400-grit wet-or-dry, chucked it into a drill and slicked up the bore and mag tube. Replaced the magazine spring, badly rusted. Exterior surfaces cleaned up nicely with 0000-grade steel wool, very little pitting and a nice blue finish. Good cleaning and light lube.

Turned out to be a great shooter. 30" full choke barrel delivered some of the tightest patterns I've ever seen, took prizes in every turkey shoot I attended for a few years.

Loaned the gun to a 13 year old boy at a turkey shoot, he won three straight rounds with it, then took the "pie shoot" contest at the end of the competition. Kid was walking about a foot off the ground, outshooting all the old timers (some of whom were using custom trap shotguns). He practically begged me to sell him that old Remington, but with his parents' permission I gave it to him.

I like a good gun, but I love seeing young folks having a great day.

·
Registered
38,097 Posts
Rescued an old Remington 31 (predecessor of the 870 series) from a pawn shop about 20 years ago. Bore was heavily fouled, and after removing that I found rust in the bore as well as the magazine tube. Took a 1/2" dowel rod, cut a slot about 2" into one end, slipped in a double-layer strip of 400-grit wet-or-dry, chucked it into a drill and slicked up the bore and mag tube. Replaced the magazine spring, badly rusted. Exterior surfaces cleaned up nicely with 0000-grade steel wool, very little pitting and a nice blue finish. Good cleaning and light lube.
Sounds like it was salvaged from one of those "boating accidents."

21 - 25 of 25 Posts