Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a S&W 442 with no internal lock that says 442-1
on inside of frame...Does anyone know when they first offered this gun?
I know it is still in production but wanted a general idea on how long it may have set in the case
before i bought it?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
How do you carry those two? Is one for one hand versus the other? I was just curious since the grips are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I got the Hogue Tamers just to try them. I ended up liking them enough to just keep them on. The Pachmayr Compacts I’ve had on J Frames for years. The Pachmayr gun is usually in my off hand pocket and the other is in or on the waist. I never could decide what grip I liked best. I think maybe the Pachmayr’s.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got the Hogue Tamers just to try them. I ended up liking them enough to just keep them on. The Pachmayr Compacts I’ve had on J Frames for years. The Pachmayr gun is usually in my off hand pocket and the other is in or on the waist. I never could decide what grip I liked best. I think maybe the Pachmayr’s.
I've got Hogue grips on my 360 Airweight and really like the way they help with the felt recoil and seem more natural in my hand than the stock grips. Wish S&W would put Pachmahr or Hogue on the little guns and I think the reviews on the little guns would help with sales because a lot of people don't buy them because of the reports of snappy and painful recoil.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
963 Posts
I figured it was for different hands.

I carry 3 guns. A S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot in the pocket.

Glock 19, Gen 5 IWB. Sig Sauer P365 appendix. However, I may be moving towards IWB on the left, and OWB on the right while keeping my S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot in the pocket.

·
Super Moderator
18,241 Posts
One of the last new guns I ever bought to try because they were the current sensation on the market was a Smith & Wesson Model 642-1 that I have here. I bought it in summer of 1998. You wouldn't believe how "hot" these were in the market at that time. Everyone was raving about them. I felt like I had to get in the act and try one.

I deliberately went for the Model 642 rather than the Model 442 that I really wanted so as to try a stainless version. I didn't care as much for the look of stainless steel. Still don't. I've always thought the Model 442 was the better looking of the two models. This is the last Smith & Wesson revolver I ever purchased brand new for design changes that I could not abide soon loomed on the horizon. Mainly the introduction of the "lock."

The Model 642 here now wears a Tyler T-Grip as well as the "retro-looking" walnut stocks that are from the late 1960s or 1970s. The stocks with the T-Grip make for a nice handling "runt" revolver for me. Actually, Mrs. BMc has adopted this revolver as her daily carry. It doesn't look quite so fine now as it did way back when this photograph was taken.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I carry 3 guns. A S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot in the pocket.

Glock 19, Gen 5 IWB. Sig Sauer P365 appendix. However, I may be moving towards IWB on the left, and OWB on the right while keeping my S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot in the pocket.
I don't know the full details of the new proposed gun law in VA, but all I've seen is a limit on the capacity of a magazine. I assume your P365 would qualify with a 10 round magazine even with 1 more in the chamber since a 10 round magazine is the limit. Maybe it's only 10 total.

But is there anything currently in the proposal to ban carrying additional guns at the same time which would take the total ammo numbers higher than 10 in guns without magazines. Iow, 2 or 3 revolvers.
(just looking for loopholes)

·
Registered
963 Posts
I don't know the full details of the new proposed gun law in VA, but all I've seen is a limit on the capacity of a magazine. I assume your P365 would qualify with a 10 round magazine even with 1 more in the chamber since a 10 round magazine is the limit. Maybe it's only 10 total.

But is there anything currently in the proposal to ban carrying additional guns at the same time which would take the total ammo numbers higher than 10 in guns without magazines. Iow, 2 or 3 revolvers.
(just looking for loopholes)
I don’t think they’re that far, yet.

Just banning assault weapons, suppressors, outdoor ranges, shotguns with pistol grips, red flag laws, background checks. Turning into California I guess. I think I may move away from here. It’s too bad. They don’t have enough doctors here in my area. I also donate a lot of time and money to children’s charities, here. But if that is what they want (to alienate the lawful and productive), it’s their problem.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of the last new guns I ever bought to try because they were the current sensation on the market was a Smith & Wesson Model 642-1 that I have here. I bought it in summer of 1998. You wouldn't believe how "hot" these were in the market at that time. Everyone was raving about them. I felt like I had to get in the act and try one.

I deliberately went for the Model 642 rather than the Model 442 that I really wanted so as to try a stainless version. I didn't care as much for the look of stainless steel. Still don't. I've always thought the Model 442 was the better looking of the two models. This is the last Smith & Wesson revolver I ever purchased brand new for design changes that I could not abide soon loomed on the horizon. Mainly the introduction of the "lock."

The Model 642 here now wears a Tyler T-Grip as well as the "retro-looking" walnut stocks that are from the late 1960s or 1970s. The stocks with the T-Grip make for a nice handling "runt" revolver for me. Actually, Mrs. BMc has adopted this revolver as her daily carry. It doesn't look quite so fine now as it did way back when this photograph was taken.

I bought a pair of grips like those but they have no texture...Gonna send them back...They are too slick without
texture....I should have known better

1 - 14 of 14 Posts