Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone this is my first post ... just saw something today that i thought I would share with the rest of you folks. I went to wallyworld today, mostly jus wastin time before work. anyway when I pulled up I noticed the lady :sheep: in the parking spot right next to me loading her items into what looked to be a brand new car. the interesting part was that when she finished loading she left the trunk and both diver and passenger doors open ... with the car running while she reuturnd her cart to the collection area about 50 yards away. of course having my springfield on my hip I just shut down my truck an made myself look busy untill she returned. just something I thought might interest a few people, please keep in mind I am new to the forums so be gentle.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hey welcome :smilez:

Amazing eh - the :sheep:

I did a thread on my observations in a small grocery store a while ago - fewer than 10% of folks really knew what was going on around them.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Welcome.

I think your observations are right on. She was completely oblivious to anything going on around her. It's people like this that guarantee that next year's budget for the police department needs to be larger than last year's.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Lots of folks leave their cars running and go in the store up here in the winter. 1 guy came out to find his new S10 gone. 3 county chase and a beat up truck was the outcome. Geez, the second it would take to hit the remote lock , could have saved him a lot of grief.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Bud White said:
She'll learn when she comes back to find her car gone one day
AND I hope she didn't have any children in her car. Cars are easy to replace.

Welcome to the forum, good observation. It was good of you to stand silent guard over her. She'll never know I spect. Some sheep may never know how any times they were guarded.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
In that case, wouldn't it be so much fun, and such a good lesson to take the keys out, lock all the doors and hide a few yards away. When she returns, let her freak out for a second. Walk up to her, hand her the keys and say something cute like, "I guess you've learned your lesson?"

My luck she'd see me messing with her car and freak out and everything. Police would come and I'd go to the clink for armed robbery or something stupid. Or worse, she could be packing and shoot me. In some states, commission of a felony is grounds for justifiable homicide. I'm sure Grand Theft Auto is a felony.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
just taking the keys out in colorado is a felony ( criminal tresspass ) tho its dobutfull it would be filed it would be kinda an expensive joke to you if she threw a fit

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea I was gonna go close the doors or somethin like ... maybe just say somethin ta her, but like someone already said my luck she would freak. so I decided to just sit still an watch the mirrors.

·
Registered
289 Posts
While your motives were the best, I am sure, and I applaud you for standing "silent guard" as someone said, but did you actually consider what you would actually do if someone tried to take her car?

bearing in mind that 1)I don't think a stranger's property is justification for deadly force in most states, if not all, and 2) getting into an altercation armed can be seen as escalating a conflict.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you are absolutely right an that is something I thought about given the fact she wasnt really in any hurry to get back to her car. my conclusion was I would just get out of my truck an make sure the BG knew I saw him and I knew what was up ... at the very least I woud be a good witness

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I notice that happening from time to time. Its funny...but its not.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I am SO tired of hearing that. Preventing the commission of a crime is not escalating the confrontation. The "escalation" rule, where it exists, applies to arguments where both sides are essentially at fault.

Criminals don't have a right to commit crimes. If the CRIMINAL caused the confrontation to escalate to the point where you had to use violence, that's his problem. You have every right as a citizen to prevent the commission of any crime you witness, and to arrest the perpetrator... if you want to get involved.

<<2) getting into an altercation armed can be seen as escalating a conflict.>>

·
Registered
810 Posts
Has anyone had this happen? You see one of these sheep moving through his/her world and you do actually say something?
1. There's this glazed look that has to go out of their eyes -
2. They're then nervous if you're talking about the potentially risky situation -
3. If they decide that you're right, then you are at fault for pointing it out to them.
Maybe I'm just odd (I know I'm odd looking), but I have seen this all happen more than once.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
David III said:
Has anyone had this happen? You see one of these sheep moving through his/her world and you do actually say something?
1. There's this glazed look that has to go out of their eyes -
2. They're then nervous if you're talking about the potentially risky situation -
3. If they decide that you're right, then you are at fault for pointing it out to them.
Maybe I'm just odd (I know I'm odd looking), but I have seen this all happen more than once.
From long experience in the ED.... I prefer to let that iron fisted bastid, Experience, teach the foolish. Of course, there is the rule of unintended consequences, but overall it isn't worth the strain of trying to impart judgement to a brick.:duh:

·
Registered
988 Posts
I must say a very big "Thank You" to the stupid people of the world. They put clothes on our backs and food on our table! :banana:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sheep...

How many, or what percentage of the "average" population would flunk a "situational awareness" test?

I talk with my family & friends about it often...If you aren't paying attention, how can you:

a) flee from a potential threat

b) defend yourself from same

c) whitness a crime & actually offer a good statement to peace officers

d) just know what the heck is going on???

We can talk to people we love & care about, and hope they do the same...

Good Afternoon,

Kerry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts