Defensive Carry banner

what direction should i go (multiple choice allowed)

• keep the kimber solo

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • sell and buy a S&W shield 9

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • sell and buy a XDs 45acp

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • (handguns only)have the minimum ammount of calibers make it easier for SHTF , bug out, Armagedon

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • (handguns only)having the variety makes me flexible, can barter and trade, not a really big deal kee

Votes: 6 10.2%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for anybody who has read a previous post i made, sorry about that. i was in information overload mode and i am much calmer and pretend to take things slow this time around

i will try to keep it straight to the point and not go too long with this.

i have a glock 19 (used to have a H&K p30 which i still regret selling to this day)

i have always wanted another pistol that was smaller and practical more so for EDC and easier to conceal. after doing some research i fell in love with the kimber solo. i bought one and it's the CDP model with the laser. i like it a lot even though i haven't shot it yet

however, the gun IS designed for a specific type of ammo. i knew that from the start. but now it is kind of bothering me. to me it is starting to feel like i have a high maintenance item. the magazine release is stiff as hell. some will tell me it will become softer as i use it.

the meat and potatoes of this discussion is: do i sell it?? or keep it??? i know i can get about 1000 bucks back from it. the SHIELD was starting to grow on me. i always wanted to have a smith. even tough i didn't get specifically because the kimber is smaller, i am starting to like it.

a second option is a XDs. probably 45 because i already have a 9mm. what do you guys think???

i also wanted to build my SHTF arsenal of just a few handguns and rifles. so there goes the million dollar question. does have 2 or three different calibers to keep track of a disadvantage???? or is it good??? should i have 3 handguns with 3 different calibers?? or keeping all of them at 9 is "Leanest" and that is the way i should go???

thanks

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
You have the 19 why the need?

Reactions: atctimmy

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
You asked a bunch of questions that only you can answer. Well reasoned arguments can be made on both sides of every discussion item here. If it were me I'd likely dump the Kimber and pick up something that functions like your Glock in the same caliber. Ease of training that way and easier to deal with having sufficient ammo on hand if SHTF is a concern of yours.

Reactions: elphius

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have the 19 why the need?
i am not a very very big guy and the 19 is a good sized gun but it is not as comfortable as the others mentioned. and i don't always wear baggy clothing and untucked shirts, that is why i wanted a smaller, slimmer gun

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You asked a bunch of questions that only you can answer. Well reasoned arguments can be made on both sides of every discussion item here. If it were me I'd likely dump the Kimber and pick up something that functions like your Glock in the same caliber. Ease of training that way and easier to deal with having sufficient ammo on hand if SHTF is a concern of yours.
and that is the reason i started this thread. you took the words out of my mouth. i was starting to think that i should get something that works like the glock. but i love the crimson trace laser tough. love it. and the meprolight sights are great too

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
i am not a very very big guy and the 19 is a good sized gun but it is not as comfortable as the others mentioned. and i don't always wear baggy clothing and untucked shirts, that is why i wanted a smaller, slimmer gun
If you can get 1000 for the kimber, do that and pick up the shield. IMO it is a good fighting pistol....

Reactions: BlueHawk76

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
No reason you cannot put a CT on the Glock. All my Glocks are currently wearing meprolights so that shouldn't stop you either.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I was never a fan of the Solo and I remember the earlier ones had issues, not sure if they ever corrected them all where the gun is 100% reliable. If you can get your money back or close to it I'd look at the Shield or the XDs. The caliber would be your choice, I personally find the 9mm to be very comfortable to shoot as opposed to the 45 in that small of a platform.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where is the "sell and buy a Glock 26" option? :wink:
glock 26 is pretty blocky. but that IS a good idea tough. magazines can be shared and etc. however, i want to give my money preferebly to USA mfg's and have different brands to support them all. thanks for the input

·
Registered
712 Posts
Here's my input on your handgun situation.

1. Sell the Kimber.
2. Carry the G19.
3. If you are truly against carrying the G19, then get the G26. There are many accessories for Glock's including night sights.

One thing I want to ask is, have you even given the Kimber a chance yet? You said you haven't even fired it yet. Have you bought a decent holster for it and carried it? Same thing applies to your G19.

If you have, then by all means sell the Kimber and get the G26. If not, I would give it a chance first.

As far as your SHTF/ammo situation, I like a single caliber. I also like a common platform when it comes to handguns so you can interchange magazines.

Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's my input on your handgun situation.

1. Sell the Kimber.
2. Carry the G19.
3. If you are truly against carrying the G19, then get the G26. There are many accessories for Glock's including night sights.

One thing I want to ask is, have you even given the Kimber a chance yet? You said you haven't even fired it yet. Have you bought a decent holster for it and carried it? Same thing applies to your G19.

If you have, then by all means sell the Kimber and get the G26. If not, I would give it a chance first.

As far as your SHTF/ammo situation, I like a single caliber. I also like a common platform when it comes to handguns so you can interchange magazines.

Good luck!
thanks. i have not given the kimber a chance yet. the reason for it would be that if i fired and started using it. it then becomes a used gun. i know this sounds stupid but since i bought it i haven't been at the range. and then this doubt started to grow on me. so here i am. i haven't carried a glock yet or the kimber because the wait to get a nice custom leather holster is astronomical. i have ordered them from brigade gun leather but i still got a few weeks to wait.

·
Registered
586 Posts
for anybody who has read a previous post i made, sorry about that. i was in information overload mode and i am much calmer and pretend to take things slow this time around

i will try to keep it straight to the point and not go too long with this.

i have a glock 19 (used to have a H&K p30 which i still regret selling to this day)

i have always wanted another pistol that was smaller and practical more so for EDC and easier to conceal. after doing some research i fell in love with the kimber solo. i bought one and it's the CDP model with the laser. i like it a lot even though i haven't shot it yet

however, the gun IS designed for a specific type of ammo. i knew that from the start. but now it is kind of bothering me. to me it is starting to feel like i have a high maintenance item. the magazine release is stiff as hell. some will tell me it will become softer as i use it.

the meat and potatoes of this discussion is: do i sell it?? or keep it??? i know i can get about 1000 bucks back from it. the SHIELD was starting to grow on me. i always wanted to have a smith. even tough i didn't get specifically because the kimber is smaller, i am starting to like it.

a second option is a XDs. probably 45 because i already have a 9mm. what do you guys think???

i also wanted to build my SHTF arsenal of just a few handguns and rifles. so there goes the million dollar question. does have 2 or three different calibers to keep track of a disadvantage???? or is it good??? should i have 3 handguns with 3 different calibers?? or keeping all of them at 9 is "Leanest" and that is the way i should go???

thanks
***? You are asking if you should get rid of an awesome gun you have not fired yet?! Sell all your guns, back away and ask yourself if you have your self together enough to even consider the option. I don't think so.

·
Registered
712 Posts
thanks. i have not given the kimber a chance yet. the reason for it would be that if i fired and started using it. it then becomes a used gun. i know this sounds stupid but since i bought it i haven't been at the range. and then this doubt started to grow on me. so here i am. i haven't carried a glock yet or the kimber because the wait to get a nice custom leather holster is astronomical. i have ordered them from brigade gun leather but i still got a few weeks to wait.
There are great holsters out there that don't require a few month wait. If you have holsters on the way, then you need to at least give both guns a chance before you sell one or both.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Look, you have a 19. I've had a few, and always come back to them.

I am not a Glock fanboy, but I shoot them well. There are no issues.

Don't fall into the trap of 10 guns in different chamberings. A royal pain, trust me.

If you are iffy on the Solo (and I wouldn't blame you), drop it. Get your Shield, 26, or an M&P compact.

·
Registered
206 Posts
There are great holsters out there that don't require a few month wait. If you have holsters on the way, then you need to at least give both guns a chance before you sell one or both.
Yes there are! I am a fan of D.M. Bullard in Azle, TX. He builds amazing custom holsters with very little wait (a week or so).

The Kimber has swagger. I think you'll really like it. I would NOT sell it with out shooting a few hundred rounds at least. The loss in depreciation is less tha the cost of regret.

·
Registered
436 Posts
glock 26 is pretty blocky. but that IS a good idea tough. magazines can be shared and etc. however, i want to give my money preferebly to USA mfg's and have different brands to support them all. thanks for the input
Well, if you want to give money to an American manufacturer SA is off the list. They are just an importer.

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
First off, if you have never shot the Kimber Solo do not carry it until you have taken it to the range and have verified that the gun functions and is reliable enough to serve as a tool that may be used to protect your life.

Second, get training and find a range that rents guns so that you can actually get use to shooting and identify what you like and dislike about certain guns.

Third, regarding your questions about your "SHTF arsenal"...Water, shelter, food, fire, skills, community, guns and ammo...Your plan for SHTF is just that...your plan. And your plan or rather plans and backup plans need to tailored to the scenarios you consider to be most likely. Is your plan to shelter in place or retreat to a BOL on foot or retreat to a BOL by vehicle or remain mobile (in a vehicle or on foot)? If I was planning to survive in a SHTF scenario, I'd know how to put food and drink on the table and I'd have a means to defend my home, a way to transport my defensive gear via vehicles (both motorized and manpowered) and a plan to carry defensive gear while on foot and I'd have several BOLs (at least one in each direction). Regarding ammo caliber... the .22LR is light weight which makes it easily transportable when traveling by foot, .223/5.56 is great if you have an AR chambered in this caliber, 9mm is an effective round for handguns, .300 Win mag is good for hunting large game if you have a scoped rifle chambered in this caliber and .177 BBs are good for hunting small game if you have an air rifle and/or a slingshot the added benefit is that 6000 rounds cost about $15, having some .357 mag along with a handgun and lever rifle chambered in the same is also an interesting idea to consider. Don't forget all your other survival gear.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
i have always wanted another pistol that was smaller and practical more so for EDC and easier to conceal.
after doing some research i fell in love with the kimber solo. however, the gun IS designed for a specific type of ammo. i knew that from the start. but now it is kind of bothering me.
Special ammo is required for the Kimber Solo 9mm? What, 9mm ammo? I haven't heard that only a given brand/type of ammo works on those bad boys. If that's actually true, fine. But I'm assuming you just might not have yet broken-in the gun sufficiently and/or simply not tried a wide variety of ammo in it.

the SHIELD was starting to grow on me. i always wanted to have a smith. even tough i didn't get specifically because the kimber is smaller, i am starting to like it.

i also wanted to build my SHTF arsenal of just a few handguns and rifles.
Which direction you go with a collection is up to you, given your criteria and how important each criterion is to you.

If you've got a strong belief in a given caliber, go with it. There's much to be said about having cross-gun compatibility with ammo, magazines, holsters. Can be very cost-efficient, simpler manual of arms (ie, if going with all Glock pistols).

But as to whether you'd be happier with a Solo, Shield, G19, G26 or any of the dozen other prime alternatives on the market, or even some other discontinued by highly-regarded alternative, only you can determine this.

Myself, I wouldn't feel under-gunned with any of the ones you mentioned. I tend to prefer keeping to a caliber, presuming that caliber meets my defensive criteria in each platform. A Solo or Shield would be nice, IMO; and you've got one of each. If both are running reliably well and meet your criteria, it sounds like you've got a fine pair of guns there. I'd determine if the minor issues I had with each were worth working through, keeping the gun. If not, fine, sell it and go with something else. Only you can know whether that'll be best for you.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Sell the Kimber, buy the Shield, and spend the remainder of the money on ammo. JMHO. Without a crystal ball, there is no for sure way to be totally prepared for every possible future.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts