Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I still don't understand how this happens by anyone with a half a brain. Simply no valid excuse. If I was his supervisor he would be suspended, attend a lengthy retraining session, and working 3rd shift for a long looong time.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if he cleared his weapon and someone handed him a magazine loaded with "BLANKS"?

I just wished we had all the facts.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
What if he cleared his weapon and someone handed him a magazine loaded with "BLANKS"?

Could be...what if? It still is his responsibility, I would only load my own mag and so should anyone doing this, as well as having a partner the entire time observing and double checking. There is just to much at stake to gamble in any way.

·
Registered
887 Posts
They called it an AD but I think I would call it an ND. There definitely was negligence on someone's part. Just glad nobody got hurt.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Gotta like how he spins it.
“We had an accidental discharge that should not have happened,” Rockwood Police Chief Danny Wright told 10News. “Nobody was ever in danger.”
Nobody said he had to change his underwear but otherwise he's fine. :wink:

·
Registered
3,829 Posts

If this were the case, he should then unload that magazine and inspect each round himself to assure they really were blank loads.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The article says" No one was ever in danger. Really? I feel sorry for the cop but he screwed up.

Reactions: Rhinoman

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
The article says" No one was ever in danger. Really? I feel sorry for the cop but he screwed up.
Yes he did and now he is going to have to live with this the rest of his life. Not a good thing.

I would have a real problem pointing one of my sidearms at someone in a training exercise, whether loaded with blanks or unloaded. I suppose the cardinal rules of gun safety having been drilled into my being for so many years have taken their toll. A training gun, sure. But not a real firearm.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
The only ones professional enough to carry guns right?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Not a good way to run a blank drill.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Accidental discharge? No. It was an intentional discharge. They just didn't know the condition of their gun. just another sign that police need select fire weapons....

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
It WAS a great learning experience, though. The cop learned something about firearms safety and the staff know what a firearm sounds like when it's shot inside the building.

My dad was starting work at a shop that made propane tanks. On his first day the foreman took him around and introduced him to the other people and gave him a safety briefing. When they got to the big metal shear the foreman put his hands under the blade and said, "Whatever you do, never put your hand here and push that button." And then he pushed the button. He lost all the fingers on his hand when the blade came down. My dad said it was one of the best learning experiences of his life. He never put his fingers under the blade after that.

I just thought I would shine a positive light on the situation.

Reactions: LuketheDrifter

·
Registered
623 Posts
Why wouldn't they just use a starter pistol if they only needed blanks?
Talk about setting yourself up for a problem, then fulfilling Murphy's law...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Why don't they just have a few modified guns on hand that will ONLY fire blanks? Paint them a bright color, and that way everyone can rest assured that a live round isn't ever gonna come out the muzzle.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Why wouldn't they just use a starter pistol if they only needed blanks?
Talk about setting yourself up for a problem, then fulfilling Murphy's law...
Why don't they just have a few modified guns on hand that will ONLY fire blanks? Paint them a bright color, and that way everyone can rest assured that a live round isn't ever gonna come out the muzzle.
This would only work if they have EVERY officer involved in the exercise remove all guns and ammo prior to entering the trianing area, otherwise they still run the risk of loading the wrong mag into the gun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts