Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah ok,

I'm asking another walther question.

It was recently recommended that I get a walther P22 for my wife and kids to use at the range. It has that funky interchangeable backstrap and looks like its 9mm counterpart.

This isn't something any of us will use for concealed carry but do any of you guys have any experience with this gun?

Mike

:shuriken:

·
Administrator
143,818 Posts
Walther P22

The Walther P22 really took sort of a beating when it first hit the market.
The gun had a lot of function problems with many types of ammunition....Good News!...it was not the pistols that were defective ~ it was the earlier magazines that were the bummers.
Make sure that there is an "A" in the magazine serial #s.
I hope this information helps.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I've rented one from the local range several times and have used it specifically for introducing people to shooting. I've been thinking of getting one for myself, and probably will right after I pick up a few rifles. I've never had a problem with them and haven't suffered a FTF or FTE yet. (I'm pretty sure I've always used the newer magazines.)

A1C Lickey

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Mike - no first hand experience but feedback has not overall, as I recall - been all that good.

But then QK's mentioned mag issues could have been behind some of that.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
QK's right on with this one. Check the Mags for that "A" marking you'll be fine with those

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Been seeing a LOT of P22s come in lately. Same issue, mags that may not work, jams a little, etc. Might want to stick with a MkII Ruger

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think we have 5 of them in my family. We have a blast with them. They can be a bit ammo sensitive. find a brand they like and go with it. We have had good luck with the Remington Gold Bullet bulk packs. Also if you are not buying a new one make sure you have the updated magazines.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Long story short: they are made (frame and slide) of pot-metal. Literally what you get from melting down Coke cans and trash-can lids. Long term, the barrel flange will peen the barrel hood, and you won't be in alignment anymore. Refinishing, by default, must be of the "Krylon-special" variety(baking finishes-Teflon, Duracoat, Gunkote, etc- will result in a bubbled, warped frame/slide). I had a major go-round with S&W over service I felt I should receive on a $400 pistol, and ended up eating half of the initial cost and getting a Ruger. I'm no fan of Ruger's policies, but for the price of the P22 "Target(not!)", you can get a stainless MkII, 22/45, or new MkIII.

I will never again do business with Smith; after much arguing, finally being told, "Well, this isn't a top-of-the-line pistol. It's just yer basic starter....." For 4 bills?!?! KMA!!! :mad:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
....." For 4 bills?!?! KMA!!!
Lmaooooooooo I couldn't agree with that more. But this is the first time I have heard anybody complain about smiths policies.

Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have one-

When I got it, I bought 7-8 different packs of different .22 ammo. Mine likes Remington Target ammo, and CCI stingers. That's all. Anything else will jam with varrying consistency. Some every other shot, some every 30 rounds or so. With the Remington, I can say with confidence that I have not had a jam in over 2,000 shots.

It is a great little plinker. Before my 642, I used to carry it as a pocket gun/ coat gun. I love mine.

I also like that it has the same setup as my P99.

·
Registered
940 Posts
LPguy said:
This isn't something any of us will use for concealed carry but do any of you guys have any experience with this gun?
Ammo picky in the ones I've fired. So's my Sig Mosquito. Use jacketed or copper-washed ammo.

I'm more partial to the Mosquito for kids and women seem to love it. It's one of my primary training tools for folks and even the big bore people love it.

The P22 is almost too small and it's not a target gun. Think of it as a combat pistol trainer/range toy.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I have a P22, bought it to get my Wife into doing some shooting. Jam-o-matic (tried ~5 different brands/types of ammo) and it has the -A mags! S&W says use CCI Green label ammo, right - $8+ for a box for plinking ammo is ridiculous.

A friend also has one and says that Wal-Mart Remington bulk pack works flawlessly in his. It better, as it the last attempt before selling the gun. Continuous malfunction drills are NOT the way to get a rookie started in shooting, and I find it damn aggravating as well.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anybody have any luck replacing the bad mags in the p22? That is the only big problem I've heard about both here and outside the box.

Mike

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Mike,

Contact S&W Tech Supt. If you have the older mags, they will replace them for you. S&W's support has been outstanding.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
We're seeing a number of these P22s come into the store. Their owners are attempting to trade em in. Unfortunatly, most have the early mags with the guns. We don't usually take em in as trades, and try to get their owners to sell them outright on a private sale, so we don't get stuck. The "A" mag guns, well, we take them in, but not at a very high price though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts