Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Antique SKS rifle used by Dallas Killer

Initial reports from Dallas described multiple snipers with AR-15s #weaponsofwar. The ongoing propaganda theme among the tabloids is that the AR-15 has become the weapon of choice for terrorists and mass shooters. It turns out that the terrorist in Dallas question used an antique, the SKS, (according to CBS News) but the facts never keep the press from a good propaganda theme.

The SKS was designed in the 40’s in Russia. It is such a basic rifle that it is legal in California with no modification. With its fixed ten round magazine, the SKS is everything that the gun haters in California say a rifle must be. It is not black, no pistol grip, no flash hider or folding stock. It even shoots a intermediate power cartridge, 7.63 X 39. It is used as a cheap hunting gun across the US. I am sure that at this moment, some law maker in California is writing new legislation to close the mad man with an antique rifle loophole.

The reason the anti-gun forces hate the AR is its popularity, there are between 4 and 8 million of them legally owned in the United States. It is widely owned by civilians and thus available to terrorists, the mentally ill and criminals.

There have been several recent shootings and some not so recent shootings using “Assault Style Weapons”. Tabloid journalism loves writing about “Assault Style Weapons” and the 1996 Assault Weapons Ban. This term truthfully reveals the problem, these guns don’t function like assault weapons, but they have a style similar to military weapons. They look much more dangerous than large caliber hunting rifles which are actually more powerful.

The term “assault rifle” was a propaganda term coined by Hitler himself to describe the Nazi’s then new machine gun which fired a small low recoil round allowing soldiers to control full auto fire. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership in the United States since 1934. The SKS was never full auto, thus never an assault rifle.

In recent terror attacks in France, the murders used the AK-47, a real assault rifle fashioned after Hitler’s original model. Since fire arms ownership is highly restricted in Europe, the terrorists illegally bought machine guns on the world market and smuggled them into France. The AK-47 is the most widely spread weapon in the world, with 100 million Kalashnikov rifles currently in use. According to Oxford University economist Phillip Killicoat, the average global price of the assault rifle was estimated at $534 in 2005.

The state of California has over a dozen overlapping ‘assault weapons’ laws creating a situation where the only people who know the laws are the poor citizens trying to obey them. Calguns.org has made a flow chart to help the law abiding keep track. The San Bernadino murders used AR type rifles purchased in California, the state with the most ridiculous restrictions in the United States. The murders illegally modified their guns in violation of California gun laws, then killed people which also violates California law. The California legislature has drafted a dozen new ineffective laws which will make most rifles in the state illegal. These new laws will be no more effective than the current laws broken by the San Bernadino murders. The Dallas killer could have purchased an SKS in California with a ten day wait.

Before the 1996 Assault Weapons Ban, modern sporting rifles were not as common. The SKS was not effected by this ban and became even more popular. The ban had the perverse effect of raising awareness of these versatile firearms. The constant assault on the rights of common citizens attempting to protect themselves and their families by politicians protected by armed guards has generated great interest in modern sporting rifles. The common use of rifles by law enforcement on American streets has also helped their acceptance.

In another significant mass killing, between April and July 1994, members of the Hutu ethnic majority in Rwanda murdered 800,000 people, mostly of the Tutsi minority, using machetes. If the Tutsi’s had had a few SKS rifles things would have been different. The Hutu were not slowed by legal restrictions of firearms ownership or murder.

I grow weary of the predictable distortions and lies which come after each murder that fits the narrative. Black lives in Chicago are lost in much higher numbers than all mass shootings nation wide, but they don’t rate tabloid ink because they don’t fit the assault rifle narrative. Let’s deal with reality and human behavior. Attempts to restrict technology have never worked. New 3D printing technology is on the verge of making all gun control obsolete because anyone with internet access and a 3D printer can become a gun manufacturer.
[More]

https://thearmsguide.com/8805/sks-used-dallas-killer/

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why am I not shocked the news media and politicians went with a knee-jerk reaction? I said when this story first broke the AR-15 style of weapon is not the best choice for a "sniper" and that a large caliber hunting rifle (a lot less expensive that most ARs) was more accurate at distance and more deadly. Look at the Texas Towers shooter who in 1966 killed 14 people. He used a Remington 700 6mm bolt-action hunting rifle, and a 12-gauge shotgun, a Remington 700 6mm bolt-action hunting rifle, a .35 caliber pump rifle, a .30 caliber carbine M1, a 9mm Luger pistol, a Galesi-Brescia .25-caliber pistol and a Smith & Wesson Modify message

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
The media is going to lose their mind when they realize that the little .223 round shot out of most AR's is so much less powerful than this, and most other normal rifle calibers. Or they will just do the typical liberal thing and treat facts like something that they need a hazmat suit to avoid exposure to.

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
"The reason the anti-gun forces hate the AR is its popularity"

Not entirely accurate, the AR was originally targeted because of it's supposedly "scary looks" and a very small group of demonized "gun nuts" had them. What better way to get your foot in the door of banning?
The "Fudd" hunters could get on board with this as it wasn't any kind of gun they were interested in. The "Anti's" own zealous crusade to ban these weapons scared people in droves to purchase them, people who would have never considered ever owning one. Through all this the AR has become undeniably the most popular selling rifle in America today, much to the disdain of the left. They have become the "Barbie Doll" for men with the virtually unlimited ways to accessorize them. This has transcended the mere push to ban a small class of guns. The left has never been so defied before, now the quest for banning these weapons have become a vendetta, kind of the "Holy Grail" of gun control, the "Rosetta Stone" of which to build more draconian measures upon.

Now you know the rest of the story.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Has this been verified? I'd hate to be giving out the wrong information, and this sounds almost too good a story to be true.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Interesting if this is true considering the shooter was ex military he would choose a low capacity and slow reload type weapon.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
995 Posts
According to my Local Dallas News (FOX) this morning, he used and AR 15.

They (THIS STATION. FOX 4 DFW) are usually not ones to make a mistake or misrepresent facts like that.
I'll be interested to see what weapon he really used.

Just what I need!

I have 2 SKS's and an 1 AR.
One a Bull Pup Paratrooper, the other a long barrel with Norinco Stock and scope.
I prefer the SKS's as my personal defense weapon.

Just cause the Wife loves to shoot the AR.

So, it's basically her long gun.

This mornings Local News (Dallas Fox 4) had on 2 Dallas PD Reps who said the confusion was because the shooter kept changing shooting roof top locations.

They had one guy spotted as a person of interest as a second possible shooter, but he volunteeringly found a Dallas PD Officer and let them know he was not involved. He fully co-operated with the PD's investigation and was cleared. (He actually was attending the BLM Protest sporting his AR slung over his back. Which is perfectly Legal in Texas.)
Not sure if that tidbit of FACTS was reported to the rest of the Country.

Imagine a Black Man being observed during a protest with an AR slung over his shoulder, during an Active Sniper Shooting, and not being automatically shot down just because he had on Camo Clothing and an AR.

He was interviewed last night and said the Officers were cautious when he walked up to them, as expected, but respectfully checked out his info then released him after the shooting was over and he was cleared.
But hey it's Texas!

Most Officers who died were shot while trying to usher and shield the Protesters.
Up until the point that the first shot was fired, the DPD Officers were poseing with the Protesters and laughing and joking
with them. Everyone was having a good time. It was a peaceful protest. Loud, but peaceful.

My Ex Wife was just a few blocks from the shooting, on the 18th floor of her Condo, and watching the protest, (using my binoculars she took in our divorce 30 years ago.) She was watching the protest out of curosity! Said it was going well until the first shot. Info passed on to me by my Kids.

Here's another odd fact: While the DPD was trying to flush out the shooter, flashing lights and Patrol cars everywhere, the EX reported there were people (Couples) walking around pushing baby strollers, as though they were on a sight seeing tour, all while the Officers were crouching behind barriers and vehicles with weapoins drawn.

The DPD are some of the coolest Cops on the Planet. They have made mistakes in the past, but overall are a lot easier to get along with here in North Central Texas.
They didn't deserve this!

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
While watching the coverage of the event, I kept telling my Wife that it sounded more like my AK47, or a .308, than an AR15. If its true re which gun & ammo the shooter used, I guess we can expect to see Obama get his exec order ban pen out again.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Can't be an AR15 because if it was, Obama, Libs, and anti gunners would have have used any and every opportunity to bring that fact up, and to shift the focus to gun control.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Sofrep has their own credibility issues. My google search didnt turn up anything saying it was an AK74, but I did find a few people reporting it as an SKS. I just want to know how many police officers decided they didn't need an AR that day.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
CBS News was the first to report that it was a SKS but.....we know how unreliable early reporting can be..... Suspect in Dallas killings served in Army Reserve - CBS News
The fact that CBS even knows what an SKS is leads me to believe that there could actually be some truth to it. Anyone can say AR15 or AK47, but an SKS? This is the same media organization that tried to tell everyone how many gun owners were in each state by looking up the number of registered NFA items.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
280 Posts
I remember seeing the SKS at gun shows back in the 80's selling for $109. They were old surplus Russian rifles. The Chinese made SKS were selling for about $175 later on. I may have been the only person to never buy one back then.

·
Registered
637 Posts
OP - The SKS is not legal in California. 15 years ago when I lived there the state informed me my SKS had to be turned in or removed from the state. I gave it to an in-law.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts