Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Just wondering if there is any benefit to ordering an OWB pancake type holster with a sweatshield? I am thinking of a Tucker Pancake Holster. Will it get in the way with a 1911s safety?

Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have sweatshields on my OWB's. When I'm wearing just a t-shirt, the gun/holster is directly against my skin. I wouldn't be without the shield. It keeps the safety lever, beaver tail, hammer from digging into my skin. A proper fitting OWB will pull a gun in tight to the side, much like an IWB. Not quite as tight, but close.

·
Registered
394 Posts
A properly fitted "sweat-shield will also help prevent the trapping of your clothing when re-holstering. A good manufacturer may also want to know your method of carry, [ Cocked and locked/hammer down].

·
Registered
146 Posts
A properly fitted "sweat-shield will also help prevent the trapping of your clothing when re-holstering.
That's another good point. I use my carry gear for IDPA, so lots of re-holstering. The sweatshield does keep the shirt from getting pinched in the holster.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A sweat shield is a good option especially on a pancake holster where it's going to sit closer to the skin. It makes for a better re-holster and I'm sure a lot of us no the pain of pinching your skin between the weapon and the holster, a sweat shield helps prevent this.

A good holster maker should be able to make the sweat shield accommodate cocked and locked or hammer down.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
It keep your sweat off the finish on your gun, it also keep sharp and rough edges from scraping your skin. They are worth it.

·
Administrator
144,030 Posts
Stainless and Electroless Nickel plated firearms are very resistant to sweat corrosion. Much also depends on if your carry firearm has sharp edges/corners/& rear sight.

Example ~ A holster for a nicely "melted" Stainless firearm would not need a sweat/shield/guard.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I've found over the years that holsters without sweat shields tend to funnel the sweat right down inside. My vote is for the shield.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have a sweatshield on my thigh carry because it's a bit rough on the skin if it doesn't...but my Blackhawk doesn't need it as it is comfortable enough for me...:smile:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, I will make sure a get the sweatshield option for any 1911 holster I order.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sweatshield is also a helpful with any pistol that has a safety,it helps deter clothing from snagging safety and moving it off!

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I like sweatshields on all my CCW guns,keeps from scratching my skin and I had a blued 1911 that sweat crept in to the pin holes and corroded the hammer pin

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I have them on all my carry rigs for the reasons mentioned above!!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I prefer them because they keep the gun off my shirt.
But all makers do not offer the sweat shield.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Any benefit to having a "sweatshield" on an OWB?
Nope. Not that I can think of. Really don't make much sense does it?

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
I like sweet guards (Side Guards :yup:). They protect you and the gun from you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts