Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many bowhunters do we have here on DC? I have been bowhunting whitetail deer since the late 80's. Currently shooting a Mathews Heli-M at 70#'s with a 29" DL. I usually don't break out the bow until after the July 4th weekend but I got to have something to do now. Think I will break out the bow early this year and get a head start!

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
I've been bowhunting for the last six years, but have never managed to connect despite being in bow range several times. I have been more successful with rifle and shotgun.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Tried bowhunting a bit in the late 80's early 90's with a Jennings compound. Blacktails in Hawaii. No luck.

Moved to traditional archery about 15 yrs ago. Backyard target shooting with vintage recurves.

I've had recurves from Howatt, Tice/Watts, Bear, Herter's and a few others. My current recurve is a 70's vintage Ben Pearson Scot 7000.

A bit much at 50 lbs but once my arm strength comes back it should be a nice hunter.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I have not been out bow hunting for a while , taken plenty of deer this bow and I used it to shoot the local 3-D course .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Hoyt Turbo Hawk here since 2010...Before i made the Jump to Hoyt i did the PSE thing
Bowtech and Pearson until i switched.

I still love my Hoyt and i am glad when i look around see Bow prices today....Wow.
$800+ for a nice bare bow is nuts.

Red and white fletching?....I wonder why those colors?:smile:

hoyt bow hunting 19 005.jpg

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been bowhunting for the last six years, but have never managed to connect despite being in bow range several times. I have been more successful with rifle and shotgun.
It is a tough and challenging sport. I too had several near misses before I ever connected. One of the best things I got into was 3D shooting in the summer. A good friend of mine and I built a permanent stand in his back lot on the edge of some woods. Several of us would get together a couple times a week and bring our 3D targets. One person would climb up in the stand and the others would place the targets at different ranges and different angles. That boosted my confidence more than any practice I have ever done and it was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried bowhunting a bit in the late 80's early 90's with a Jennings compound. Blacktails in Hawaii. No luck.

Moved to traditional archery about 15 yrs ago. Backyard target shooting with vintage recurves.

I've had recurves from Howatt, Tice/Watts, Bear, Herter's and a few others. My current recurve is a 70's vintage Ben Pearson Scot 7000.

A bit much at 50 lbs but once my arm strength comes back it should be a nice hunter.
I have shot a few recurves over the years but have always went back to a compound. That looks like a really nice recurve and I like the rack.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
G26...when you do connect it may ruin your rifle hunting days...i still muzzleload but havent rifle hunted with a centerfire rifle since...Its addicting

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hoyt Turbo Hawk here since 2010...Before i made the Jump to Hoyt i did the PSE thing
Bowtech and Pearson until i switched.

I still love my Hoyt and i am glad when i look around see Bow prices today....Wow.
$800+ for a nice bare bow is nuts.

Red and white fletching?....I wonder why those colors?:smile:

View attachment 324670
Yes, the Turbo Hawk was a nice shooting little bow. I personally think Hoyt builds one of the best bows in the archery business.

I started out with a Bear compound ( can't remember the name) and then moved to a Browning Windriver. I really wanted a High Country as I knew a lot of fellas running those but I could not afford it at the time. Hunted with Browning through college and then met a group of hunters after I graduated that were Hoyt enthusiasts. I have hunted a Hoyt Stryker 2, Hoyt MagnaTec, then a Hoyt V-Tec. I killed a lot of whitetails with the Magna-Tec and V-Tec. Sadly the owner of the local Hoyt shop passed away, so I decided to try a different brand. I then picked up an Elite Z28 and took a few deer with it (the Z28 has to be one of the smoothest drawing bows ever) but then my son started playing football and my hunting time decreased. I wound up picking up the Mathews Heli-M and find it very similar to the Elite. It's a little faster than the Elite but it is also a little harsher.

With the price of new bows these days I will likely never buy another new one. I will just wait and buy that 2-3 year old flagship bow for 300-400 bucks. You can buy a really nice rifle or 1911 for the price of some of the bows from Hoyt, Mathews and Bowtech.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Tundra5.7, 3D practice is outstanding. I have 2 Rineheart buck targets, a javelina target, and a turkey target in our sage and juniper yard. Last year I was within 30 yards of a spike elk but my wife managed to spook it before I could get a shot off.

Reactions: Tundra5.7

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Yes, the Turbo Hawk was a nice shooting little bow. I personally think Hoyt builds one of the best bows in the archery business.

I started out with a Bear compound ( can't remember the name) and then moved to a Browning Windriver. I really wanted a High Country as I knew a lot of fellas running those but I could not afford it at the time. Hunted with Browning through college and then met a group of hunters after I graduated that were Hoyt enthusiasts. I have hunted a Hoyt Stryker 2, Hoyt MagnaTec, then a Hoyt V-Tec. I killed a lot of whitetails with the Magna-Tec and V-Tec. Sadly the owner of the local Hoyt shop passed away, so I decided to try a different brand. I then picked up an Elite Z28 and took a few deer with it (the Z28 has to be one of the smoothest drawing bows ever) but then my son started playing football and my hunting time decreased. I wound up picking up the Mathews Heli-M and find it very similar to the Elite. It's a little faster than the Elite but it is also a little harsher.

With the price of new bows these days I will likely never buy another new one. I will just wait and buy that 2-3 year old flagship bow for 300-400 bucks. You can buy a really nice rifle or 1911 for the price of some of the bows from Hoyt, Mathews and Bowtech.
I had a High country Z force sprinkled in there somewhere.
I did have a Hoyt Trykon XL for awhile...But Fell in love with the Turbohawk and its 4 inches
shorter axle to axle with a nice forgiving brace height.

I still have never found one that will let me justify spending the prices they ask now.

Bows are expensive enough not to mention when you start adding quality accessories.

PSE and Bear have come along way in making new innovative stuff but even they quite pricey now as well

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did have a Hoyt Trykon XL for awhile...But Fell in love with the Turbohawk and its 4 inches

I still have never found one that will let me justify spending the prices they ask now.

Bows are expensive enough not to mention when you start adding quality accessories.

PSE and Bear have come along way in making new innovative stuff but even they quite pricey now as well
I have seen some of the carbon bows from Hoyt priced around 1200-1500....just crazy. If you ever go over on archery talk dot com, you can get some great deals over there on their classifieds. Guys sell those 1-2 year old flagship bows just to move up to the newest. I have bought and sold quite a few accessories as well.

Tundra5.7, 3D practice is outstanding. I have 2 Rineheart buck targets, a javelina target, and a turkey target in our sage and juniper yard. Last year I was within 30 yards of a spike elk but my wife managed to spook it before I could get a shot off.
So many things can go wrong when you are in a wild animals' backyard and they are within 40 yards of you. It is quite an amazing thing to watch!

Long time bowhunter here, still shooting a 2008 Bowtech Guardian. There's nothing like slipping in close, and reaching your anchor point.
I shot a Guardian several years ago and was really tempted as it was one sweet shooting bow. What part of NC do you hunt? I used to hunt Rockingham County and a little bit of Stokes county.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Long time bowhunter here, still shooting a 2008 Bowtech Guardian. There's nothing like slipping in close, and reaching your anchor point.
Couple weeks ago, waiting 30 min after dropping a tender doe.

I always enjoyed the Urban Archery season! I did not enjoy the late season quite as much but the early season was certainly a good scouting tool.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
G26...when you do connect it may ruin your rifle hunting days...i still muzzleload but havent rifle hunted with a centerfire rifle since...Its addicting
I've had a number of people tell me that. Since I started hunting so late in life, I originally started bowhunting as a way to add more time hunting. And given my lack of field experience I have needed all the time I can get. I would love to take something with my bow, and hopefully I will before I get too old to be able to totter up the hill.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I shot a Guardian several years ago and was really tempted as it was a really sweet shooting bow. What part of NC do you hunt? I used to hunt Rockingham County and a little bit of Stokes county.
Most everything from Chatham to Lee, to Alleghany to Swain. This year I'll be focusing more on the western side of the state.

Esse quam videri

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I always enjoyed the Urban Archery season! I did not enjoy the late season quite as much but the early season was certainly a good scouting tool.
Late season isn't great, but we were low on venison and with the slim pickings at grocery stores it seemed worth stocking the freezer a bit. Temps were in the 30s as I hauled her from the woods to my yard, so that helped.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I've had a number of people tell me that. Since I started hunting so late in life, I originally started bowhunting as a way to add more time hunting. And given my lack of field experience I have needed all the time I can get. I would love to take something with my bow, and hopefully I will before I get too old to be able to totter up the hill.
You will get there...Just remember the wind can be your friend and your worst enemy when bow hunting.
Especially if i am assuming in your area you spot and stalk and are not in a tree stand.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts