Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
You can buy the parts on-line and make your own :smile:

Some gun parts you can print and make at home with a special printer, special is good, I’m special :yup:

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Always ask the ffl first as most are not happy with online sales esp on a gun they are selling .

I feel my ffl never minded as 99% of stuff I was into was rare or not made /imported anymore so not something he could call up and get ..

But if it something commen I would maybe ask first or find a dealer who you dont use a lot to do it ..

Also dont forgot the dealer might have to send over his FFL to the seller if not on file or the like ..So that can add time and effort

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
821 Posts
I can only think of a couple of reason to buy locally rather on-line...

1. You can not look at the "fit and finish" of the particular one that you are getting.
2. You are able to get a better price locally (not the case here).
3. You have a local shop that you use regularly and the relationship you have built up over time is more important to you that the savings you would get by purchasing on-line.

In most cases I find that is is less expensive to buy on0line, but I also like to see what I am getting before I actually pay for it.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I typically buy online. It's a vicious cycle.

You buy online to save money since the brick and mortar stores can't compete with online pricing which is one less sale for the local store. Less sales is less volume meaning less discounts so your price is higher as a result.

It really sucks however I'm a consumer first and foremost. I'm not just going to pay more, sometimes a significant markup, just for the sake of keeping it local. If there were even some type of flexibility, I would love to support the local mom and pop, but I've yet to get anyone to budge when I show them an online price.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I can only think of a couple of reason to buy locally rather on-line...

1. You can not look at the "fit and finish" of the particular one that you are getting.
2. You are able to get a better price locally (not the case here).
3. You have a local shop that you use regularly and the relationship you have built up over time is more important to you that the savings you would get by purchasing on-line.

In most cases I find that is is less expensive to buy on0line, but I also like to see what I am getting before I actually pay for it.
You can refuse any gun you purchase online at the FFL. I received a Gen 4 Glock a while back that had some splotching spots on the slide finish when inspecting. I refused the shipment.

Said online gun store paid for shipping back on the bad one and overnighted a new one.

I've purchased enough from one particular website that I've emailed asking if there was any wiggle room on a price and the vendor made an exception for me and knocked another 12.5% off the listed price.

You can build a relationship with some online vendors too.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
I've purchased 13 guns (11 new, 2 used) through Gun Broker with zero issues. I have a local FFL that only charges $10 for the transfer and $10 for the NICS check. None of the on line purchases have resulted in sales taxes (TN = 9.25%). I have also bought through local gun forums as person to person sales, and these have also had zero issues. At least with a person to person sale you can examine the gun before purchasing and either choose to go through with the purchase or not.

I no longer have what I would consider "my local gun store". Most sales locally seem to be big box stores. Those small LGSs that are nearby seem to be charging close to MSRP for guns. So I continue to buy on line. The big box stores seem to do quite well with sales to people who are clueless there are alternatives.

Reactions: Old Man and Rooster

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Wow, lot's of responses in short order. Thanks for all the input.

Main suggestion is secure your local FFL first & know their charges.

I made sure I did that before I placed my order. He said he charges $10 if the gun is bought from him, and $40 if it's bought elsewhere.

IF you can find free shipping & a $10 FFL, then your good deal is still a good deal. If you get slammed with $25 s/h & $30 FFL, then your good deal Just went out the window.

My shipping was $17 and the FEL is $30 more, but since the starting price online was $125 less it's still a good deal.

Keep us posted how your deal went ....

I will do that. I should know soon as UPS tracking says it will be delivered Monday.
Over the years I've made probably a dozen online firearm purchases for Gunbroker and Bud's.

All went seamlessly.

There's no reason not to.
That's reassuring to hear.

In any case, forty dollars seems high for a transfer. Here near Cincinnati the going rate is twenty-five, and I know one place that does it for fifteen.
I'm sure it probably varies greatly depending where you live. I think the price is fair since it's still saving my $78 overall.

Always ask the ffl first as most are not happy with online sales esp on a gun they are selling .

When I asked him about my buying the gun online and having him do the paperwork he didn't act like it was any problem, or that he resented it.

Also dont forgot the dealer might have to send over his FFL to the seller if not on file or the like ..So that can add time and effort

Funny you should mention that. When I told him the vendor wanted him to send them his FFL he sighed and said he deals with this company a lot and every time they ask for his license instead of simply keeping it on file.
It really sucks however I'm a consumer first and foremost. I'm not just going to pay more, sometimes a significant markup, just for the sake of keeping it local. If there were even some type of flexibility, I would love to support the local mom and pop, but I've yet to get anyone to budge when I show them an online price.
That's the way I see it too. If it were a matter of $20 or so I'd stay with the local guy, but $78 is too much to throw away. To be honest I didn't even ask about price matching as the difference was so great.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have you checked with pawn shops?

I just bought an AR lower and had it sent to a pawn shop for the FFL. $15 plus tax, where the other pawn shops and LGS's charge anywhere from $25 to $40 for a transfer.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Buy the gun from your LGS. Support him or he may not be around in the future to help you. I have bought guns from 3 LGS’s and they did not charge extra for the background check. Also if you buy locally if there is an issue with the gun it is much easier if it’s the LGS instead of an internet dealer.
I buy on-line and ship it to my LGS. He charges the mark up he receives as if he ordered it. He can't match the prices of the big sellers. We both win. He's happy. i'm happy.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
When I lived in a city that had a few gun stores competing for business I would buy locally. Now there is one 37 Miles away and charges way too much. But there is an FFL 60 miles away that charges 25 for the first gun and 10 bucks for each additional gun in the same transaction.

So I will normally order a gun and a few recievers at the same time. I figure the "local" pawn shop is getting their cut and the owner is pretty nice.

He still asks me every time I come in how my 358 Norma Magnum is doing. That was the first transaction.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
I enjoy having a LGS also, but...I just put together a complete AR for $350 from an on-line vendor. I couldn't have bought the cheapest assembled lower for that price anywhere in town.

Some time back I purchased a Sub-2000 from the same on-line vendor. In this case I asked (phoned) all the LGS's around town and nobody could find one in 40 S&W. The on-line store had more than 10 of them in house.

I live in a metro area with 2.5 million residents.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I enjoy having a LGS also, but...I just put together a complete AR for $350 from an on-line vendor. I couldn't have bought the cheapest assembled lower for that price anywhere in town.

Some time back I purchased a Sub-2000 from the same on-line vendor. In this case I asked (phoned) all the LGS's around town and nobody could find one in 40 S&W. The on-line store had more than 10 of them in house.

I live in a metro area with 2.5 million residents.
I, too, always check locally first. My purchases over the past few years have been about 50/50 online/LGS. One LGS copped an attitude about my online purchase, so I found my new LGS that has $0 transfers, will discuss pricing and negotiate within their limits, and when I get a STEAL they compliment me on my purchase while doing the paperwork for free. I drive past 3 other places to buy gear from them when they are even close to the online price. They have built a reputation for being OUTSTANDING in every way and they are always slammed with customers, and my old LGS is like a ghost town many days. I wonder why?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am for supporting your local range and mom and pop gun stores. Don't mind paying a little more for a supporting local range. One local range seems to encourage you to buy online. They offer transfer discounts if you have a membership. Another local range, well, don't mention online stores around them unless you want to get an ear full.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've bought a handful of guns online over the years, usually no problem. Don't assume your local FFL wants to do it, but also don't assume they won't want to or that they're losing money. That FFL fee they charge usually cover any imagined 'loss' by not buying from them. I've used the same pawn shop for transfers, they charge $30 for the service. I've talked with the owner and he said that's $10 for the background and the extra $20 covers what his average markup on a new gun is, so it's all the same to him.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I have to say I've been burned three times with used revolvers that had timing issues.

One was absolute junk and I sent it back. The other two were a good enough deal on a cool enough gun that I'm hanging onto them until I find a local smith worth a damn.

That said, the majority have been beautiful guns that worked great.

As far buying as new guns, I have had no problems at all.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've had good luck purchasing firearms online. Used to be a sales tax advantage too, but that recently went away.

·
Premium Member
33,717 Posts
I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I did a search and couldn't find a thread related to the topic.

In the interest of brevity here are the quick details. I was looking for a certain gun and found it online for $250 + $17 shipping. The local gun store charges $40 to do the backround check and paperwork for guns not purchased there so my total out of pocket price would be $307.

I checked 4 local gun shops and the best price for that gun was $375 + $10 for backround check and paperwork for a total of $385.

I thought maybe a chain would have a better price but the local Dunham's price was even higher.

Is there any reason why I should fork out $78 more to buy local? I can't think of one, but the last time I bought a gun there was no such thing as the internet (40+ years ago).
None that I know of. I've bought a fair number of rightly-priced guns online, never with a problem.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I haven’t bought a gun in a store in years. Everything I buy is from online. Not worth the 10-30% premium at local stores. While I like to support local businesses, I value my hard earned money and the price premium is too high. My FFL charges $10 and what I spend on shipping never comes close to the 8.25% Texas sales tax. I just don’t buy from Texas based websites.

·
Premium Member
33,717 Posts
I haven’t bought a gun in a store in years. Everything I buy is from online. Not worth the 10-30% premium at local stores. While I like to support local businesses, I value my hard earned money and the price premium is too high. My FFL charges $10 and what I spend on shipping never comes close to the 8.25% Texas sales tax. I just don’t buy from Texas based websites.
That sales tax dodge all by itself is going to be the death of brick and mortar retail.

Reactions: StripesDude

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yes there is. I bought an new Daniel Defense ar15 online thru gun broker. The gun looked mint in the photos. When I received the gun the fit between the upper and lower was sloppy. I called DD and they said it should have never left the factory like that, so I had to send in a brand new gun for fitting. Long story short always check gun over before buying.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts