Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife who is about a little less than 5ft tall or short whichever and will be getting her CHL next week in the mail. She shoots great with her auto 380, 32 acp but was wondering what other ladies or anyone carry in under 9MM guns. Also how do they carry. I checked YouTube but no real answers from them.

P.S. she kinda likes the Ruger LC380 and the Berretta Tomcat 32 Inox but at this time has not been able to hold one in her hands. Any have these types of guns??

Thanks
:danceban:

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'm going to our LGS tomorrow with my wife to get her a Bersa Thunder .380. She's handled a lot of pistols but immediately fell in love with the Bersa. I'm afraid it might be too big for her to carry comfortably but she thinks it'll be fine so I guess we'll see! She is also a little under 5 feet tall.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Check out the Sig P238. My wife has the P938, which is essentially the same gun chambered in 9, and she loves it. Very nice gun. The Walther PK380 is also a very nice choice in 380, although a little larger than the Sig.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
My wife carries a Ruger LCP .380 but now wants an LC9 (9mm) AND a Beretta Nano to see which one she likes better. She of course also wants to keep her LCP.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
+1 for the Sig P238

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Why does it have to be less than a 9mm? height has zip to do with a persons ability to effectively control a weapon. Its all about training. 95% of people who hate "heavy" dont dislike the recoil, they dont like the fact it takes some work. Im not attacking your post by any means, but anyone limiting themself to an anemic caliber is foolhardy at best. If she has a medical concern or other limiting factor, ignore me.

To answer your question, Beretta, Bersa, Sig, Ruger, S&W, and othe all make guns of diminutive caliber. I can say from personal experience the bersa .380 is a great little gun.... try some out and have fun.,.. and remember to get her what she likes, its her gun

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Has she looked at the Bersa's.... .380 ?

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Man, you live in Texas! A 7 inch Colt SSA works! :danceban: Seriously, consider a 9mm

GeorgiaCarry

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm looking for a Sig 238 for my wife. If I could only FIND one locally. I have heard nothing but good things about the gun though from women that carry one.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My wife who is about a little less than 5ft tall or short whichever and will be getting her CHL next week in the mail. She shoots great with her auto 380, 32 acp but was wondering what other ladies or anyone carry in under 9MM guns. Also how do they carry. I checked YouTube but no real answers from them.

P.S. she kinda likes the Ruger LC380 and the Berretta Tomcat 32 Inox but at this time has not been able to hold one in her hands. Any have these types of guns??

Thanks
:danceban:
Thanks for all your input, we appreciate it. Again Thanks.

:wave:

·
Banned
232 Posts
my wife is small, too. she currently has a Keltec P3AT...a .380. In the past she had an LCR .38. She shot both pretty well, but wasn't going to carry the LCR because she thought it was too big......ha. The .380 has a clip on it, making it completely logical to carry it all the time.

EDIT>>> I forgot to mention that both of my daughters have a Bersa Thunder .380 and shoot them very well. Both have been dependable.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Why does it have to be less than a 9mm? height has zip to do with a persons ability to effectively control a weapon. Its all about training. 95% of people who hate "heavy" dont dislike the recoil, they dont like the fact it takes some work. Im not attacking your post by any means, but anyone limiting themself to an anemic caliber is foolhardy at best. If she has a medical concern or other limiting factor, ignore me.

To answer your question, Beretta, Bersa, Sig, Ruger, S&W, and othe all make guns of diminutive caliber. I can say from personal experience the bersa .380 is a great little gun.... try some out and have fun.,.. and remember to get her what she likes, its her gun
I agree...there are too many good, concealable 9mm's today to limit yourself or your wife to smaller. Light, low-recoil 9mm ammo for starters, then upgrade as her skill allows. My experience: Smaller caliber guns - even industry leaders - are less reliable than larger calibers....just my opinion.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Shield 9mm is softer on recoil than most .380's and way better ballistically. I highly recommend trying one. My wife had a sig p238 and it was a POS. She sold it and bought a Kimber and Shield too.

My wife and I fight constantly because she rarely carries as much as I would like her to do so. Something about guns and women's clothing that don't mix and unless your wife is truly COMMITTED to carry, it may be the same for her.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have Beretta Nano 9mm; it's lightweight, the recoil isn't bad, and it's very easy to conceal (I carry it AIWB @ 11:00 when it's my primary, and I plan to start carrying it as a bug in an ankle holster when I carry my glock 19).

·
Registered
158 Posts
I brought my wife to a gun show a just told to try different ones and she would know when she found it. Ended up with the P238, nice little gun with night sights. She needs to work with it a little more before she is comfortable with carrying it.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Don't discount any size guns until she's had a chance to hold them (fire them if possible). Both of my kids have been shooting nearly all size guns without issue since they were very young. My 11yr old niece is a master with my brother's SR9c and she's tiny. The only time I've ever witnessed someone not having large enough hands to use a specific gun was when my son (10yrs old at the time) had to rotate his grip slightly to get his trigger finger far enough forward to reach the trigger on a Gen 3 Glock 26. He ended up limp wristing it so he put it down and went back to the Colt XSE Commander. I hear the M&P9c is very small hand friendly as is the HKP2000sk and CZ RAMI. Of course all the snubs would be great options as well.

I'm sure your wife has more options than the micro's or pocket semi's. they're great for carry but not always very fun to shoot which may kill enthusiasm for practice.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Whatever she is comfortable with. Has she shot a .9mm? Maybe she's good with a .45. I'm going through the same situation with my daughter. I know what I want her to carry, ( a cannon). But the decision rests on what they are comfortable with, proficient with, and confident with and sure they will actually carry!

·
Registered
11,193 Posts
My wife carries her LCP in either a Kangaroo Holster, or a belly band.

Folks, it has been said before, but bears repeating...while some of the smaller 9mm pistols are close in size to the micro .380s, they are in fact considerably heavier. For many, that makes a big difference.

As far as the .380 being anemic - that is only true if you try to make it something it is not. FMJ in .380 gets 16+ inches penetration, even after going through clothing - that is plenty. Use a standard velocity flat point, and they can tumble, making even larger wounds. Put them where they count, and they will do the job - same as any other handgun caliber.

Something to consider - for about the weight of one 9mm, you can carry two of the smaller .380s.

Carry on...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts