Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An earlier thread got me to thinking ( an always dangerous thing) about lasers, so I was wondering if anyone had found a relatively inexpensive pistol laser that was of quality manufacture. I know someone will chime in with laserlyte, crimson trace, etc, but they are cost prohibitive at this time. I like the laserlyte V3. It would really only be used on my glock for HD, not on my EDC.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
I can't see the laser in bright light. I have the crimson trace grips on my Kimber and unless it is indoors or overcast I can't see it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
"Inexpensive and Quality" in the same sentence?

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the downfall to all red lasers, they wash out in sunlight. Mine would be used in the dark so its not an issue. the green lasers dont wash out but are very pricey compared to red.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Take an NRA instructors course

Get deep discounts from Crimson Trace

I've used lasers from several other makers, and IMHO the Crimson Trace units are the only ones really worth having

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Crimson Trace are the only ones I have experience with and that's because the CT laser grips came on the used 1911 I bought.

I wouldn't mind finding a cheaper alternative to put on another gun or two.. hopefully somebody can chime in with some for us. :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'd encourage you to decide what features you want, then save up enough $$ to get them. Better to spend $120 and be happy, than to waste $85 on something that isn't going to work for you. Laser sights come in several configurations and with various features.

I have a CT laser grip on my revolver that cost $279 plus tax. I initially bought the cheaper model (I think it was $100) that was not grip-activated. Instead, you had to operate a teeny tiny switch, and then laser remained continuously on until you switched back off. Think about being in a panic situation in the dark and trying to operate that tiny switch, or in an intruder situation where you don't want to broadcast your location before you're ready to shoot, and you'll probably agree these are not ideal features. Fortunately, I was able to exchange the cheaper model for the pricier one, so the $100 wasn't wasted.

My husband put a Streamlight 69240 TLR-4 Compact Rail Mounted Tactical Light with Laser Sight - Amazon.com on the Glock we use for HD, and I really like it. It has a bright streamlight in addition to the laser, so you can ID your target while in the ready position, just before deciding to shoot. It is switch activated, but the switch is large and ambidextrous, has momentary-on (down) or continuous-on (up) and is easily operated with a flick of your index finger.

Lasers are NOT a substitute for regular sights, they're in addition to them. If it's daytime, use your regular sights.

Here's a good article on the types of lasers,and criticisms and myths of lasers: The Case for Lasers | Cornered Cat

Hope this helps.

Reactions: guitarzNgunz

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'd encourage you to decide what features you want, then save up enough $$ to get them. Better to spend $120 and be happy, than to waste $85 on something that isn't going to work for you. Laser sights come in several configurations and with various features.

I have a CT laser grip on my revolver that cost $279 plus tax. I initially bought the cheaper model (I think it was $100) that was not grip-activated. Instead, you had to operate a teeny tiny switch, and then laser remained continuously on until you switched back off. Think about being in a panic situation in the dark and trying to operate that tiny switch, or in an intruder situation where you don't want to broadcast your location before you're ready to shoot, and you'll probably agree these are not ideal features. Fortunately, I was able to exchange the cheaper model for the pricier one, so the $100 wasn't wasted.

My husband put a Streamlight 69240 TLR-4 Compact Rail Mounted Tactical Light with Laser Sight - Amazon.com on the Glock we use for HD, and I really like it. It has a bright streamlight in addition to the laser, so you can ID your target while in the ready position, just before deciding to shoot. It is switch activated, but the switch is large and ambidextrous, has momentary-on (down) or continuous-on (up) and is easily operated with a flick of your index finger.

Lasers are NOT a substitute for regular sights, they're in addition to them. If it's daytime, use your regular sights.

Here's a good article on the types of lasers,and criticisms and myths of lasers: The Case for Lasers | Cornered Cat

Hope this helps.
Exactly, you should just get quality from the start because lets face it you get what you pay for especially when it comes to something like this. I ended up getting the Crimson Trace laser grip for my M&P 40c and I have no regrets. Initially I was looking for the bargain quality just like you but after reading 800 reviews on many different options I just decided to get it right the first time.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Lasermax is more affordable and it gets good reviews in amazon...

Crimson has an excellent reputation online but they charge a premium...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts