Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll soon be in the market for a polymer semi-auto. I really like the look of Springfield's pistols and I like the idea of a grip safety on a striker-fired pistol. However they seem to get a lot of hate.

Are there any mechanical or practical considerations of the grip safety to be aware of?

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
My wife has a XD subcompact. During fast draws, she can grip the gun lower, not fully disengaging the grip safety. I have replaced all the Springfield grip safeties (we have quite a few Springfields) with Powder River Precision (my preference) or Springer Precision EZ Grip (her preference) grip safeties. They have a bump at the bottom that takes care of that problem.

Other than that, I have had zero problems with the SA grip safeties.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'd recommend going to a range and renting multiple guns in whatever caliber YOU want to carry, whether it's 380, 9mm, 40, 45, or whatever others. When I was buying my first pistol I held multiple brands in my hands and my favorite was a Springfield. Then I went to shoot it and I just wasn't a fan of it at all. This is why I/every other member recommend renting/shooting multiple brands rather than just buying one without any experience shooting it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a LCR 327 right now so this would be my first semi-auto. I do intend to find the right caliber but my specific question in this thread is about SA's grip safety and whether or not it causes issues while shooting or in what ways it can fail or lock up the gun etc. Basically any possible mechanical shortcomings. Thx for replying

·
Registered
828 Posts
I could be mistaken, but it seems that I read somewhere that the slide can't be racked unless the grip safety is depressed on the Springfield guns. Under most circumstances, that shouldn't be a problem. But I can imagine scenarios where that might create additional difficulties that I'd rather not have to deal with at the time. But do check that out for yourself - I could be completely off-base.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'll soon be in the market for a polymer semi-auto. I really like the look of Springfield's pistols and I like the idea of a grip safety on a striker-fired pistol. However they seem to get a lot of hate.

Are there any mechanical or practical considerations of the grip safety to be aware of?
In the XD, the grip safety blocks the movement of the sear, so that the sear cannot be drawn down and release the striker. In order to cycle the slide, the grip safety must be depressed. Some regard this as a problem. I do not.

The XDS grip safety (and the XDS itself) work quite differently.

I have had no problem with either.

I have a LCR 327 right now so this would be my first semi-auto. I do intend to find the right caliber
9, .40 and .45 are all right answers, to some question.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I've only shot one, and XDs in 9mm, and I liked it well enough. They're kind of ugly IMO, but otherwise quality guns.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No issues here with my XD-40 service model or XDm 9mm compact, love shooting them both, no malfunctions ever no matter what type of ammo. Great guns.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a LCR 327 right now so this would be my first semi-auto. I do intend to find the right caliber but my specific question in this thread is about SA's grip safety and whether or not it causes issues while shooting or in what ways it can fail or lock up the gun etc. Basically any possible mechanical shortcomings. Thx for replying
I do not believe there are any mechanical shortcomings. But you never know if you get into a real life SD scenario, you grab your gun as fast as you can, and you may not have grabbed it perfectly to depress the grip safety. You try pull the trigger, nothing happens, BANG, you're dead. Is this likely to happen? Probably not. Is it possible? Definitely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts