Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen more Wolf brand ammo for sale than any other recently and have stayed away from it for my pistols. One reason is the steel case is non-reloadable, I don't reload but I have started saving brass so I can in the future. A few years ago I had some 380 and was shooting it when something did not sound right. I stopped checked the gun and saw unburned powder so I cleared the chamber. In the barrel was a bullet! I pushed it backe toward the chamber and cleaned the gun, shot again and had a squiber, it came out of the barrel slow and hit the ground maybe 20 feet in front of me. I found unburned powder again. Emptied all ammo, threw away, cleaned gun, used other brands no problems. It seemed to be an ammo issue, and I have not bought wolf since. Am I paranoid? WAs this a fluke incident? I have shot a bunch of 7.62 and never had an issue...

·
Registered
358 Posts
I really can't speak for your instance, knowing no more than you told. I can tell you that I have shot .380, 9mm, .40 and over the weekend I shot 240 of .223 out of my newly built AR15 and I have never had a FTF. Well, I take that back. My Hi Point 9C didn't like Wolf (no extraction) but my Taurus Mil Pro 9mm eats it up. The Taurus doesn't like Blazer (stovepiping). All my weapons will shoot everything else though. Well, I've only put Wolf through the AR15. Obviously your mileage is varying.

·
Registered
371 Posts
In my Bushmaster wolf works great everytime
as well as in my Mak 90 but my KT PLR-16 does
not like Wolf ammo at all and will not cycle as the
Wolf ammo gets stuck in the chamber on each round
after firing. Guess it just depends on the gun you use wolf
for

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
My AR15 hates the 7.62x39 silver bear ammo,after several FTE I put in a o-ring on the xtractor spring which helped,but now my bolt has a chip off the locking lug,I'm selling the barrel and going to 5.56,i'll shoot the ammo up in my mini 30 til it's gone then only buy the wolf polycoat stuff

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My range will not allow any steel cased ammo like Wolf or Silver Bear. :mad:

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I use Wolf in my AK and it shoots reliably. I have only had one round load wrong and bend at the neck (or whatever that area where the case and bullet meet).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've shot hundreds of rounds of Wolf 7.62 through my SKS and never had a problem, although it's dirty as hell. I'm also put several boxes through my Ruger P90. I won't shoot it through my Kimber though....:)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I've heard more bad than good about Wolf and most ranges in my area don't allow the use of it.
Not for me thanks.

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
Slightly off topic, but Ruger told me not to use the "Bear" steel ammo in my Mini 14. Among other things, possible breakage of the firing pin.:blink:

Shame, since I just paid $26 for 50 rounds of Remington "value pack" .223 ammo (55 gr FMJ) at Wal Mart. Glad they had some, but not much of a "value" to me.:redface: Can't afford much shooting at $0.50/shot.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'll shoot Wolf through my AK, but I don't buy it for my other guns.

I was with a friend at the range a few weeks ago and he had a squib load from Wolf 9mm, so yes they do still happen. Pretty sure he's done with Wolf forever now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wolf ammo : is it worth your life?

I have and still own 14 different Sig handguns, and the only time I ever had a problem was with Wolf ammo. I fried and it jammed and ruined the barrel of a P 220. Is that the type of ammo you want your life to depend on?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Gunnitt welcome to the forum.

I've used Wolf from time to time and found cleaning takes twice as long. One of the guys at the range said it was junk ammo. And I have to agree.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I tried Wolf one time with a .45 pistol and I also had extraction problems.

My buddies shoot it in their military style rifles and have no problems.

·
Registered
182 Posts
A couple weeks ago we were out shooting my cousin's AR-15. He doesn't shoot Wolf through it, but after shooting only 4 rounds we had a FTE. Upon inspection, he realized he swapped a mag with a buddy who uses Wolf. Disappointing, but we did get in some good pistol time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I too found Wolf ammo (.45 ACP) to be extremely dirty. At one time it was a lot cheaper than other brands and it might of been worth the trade off. That no longer seems to be the case as it's no longer dirt cheap (pun intended). I take a pass on it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've heard more bad than good about Wolf and most ranges in my area don't allow the use of it.
Not for me thanks.
Many ranges do not allow it because they want to sell the brass you leave behind.

There is nothing wrong with Wolf, Brown bear and other steel cased ammo as range ammo. If you do not reload these are great and cheap to practice with in a handgun. Just make sure you clean them after every range visit (which you should be doing regardless) and you should not have problems. Buy a box and see if your handgun feeds it well. All my Glocks and my PM9 eat it just fine.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Many ranges do not allow it because they want to sell the brass you leave behind.
The public range I go to (Spring Valley) is actually having a problem with to many people picking up their own brass to reload. The rule is "you can pick it up if you shot it or the one who did gives you permission". I talked to Adam and Larry about there and they said they are among the lowest to do brass turn-in. So much so that their supervisor mentioned it.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
No problems with Wolf ammo here. I have run it through my Stag and Bushmaster AR's as well as my Springfield 1911. It does stink like ammonia though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts