Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This includes owning one or having a wife/girlfriend that really likes shooting one. My wife was eyeing one hard at a gunshop today. I have access to one, so I will be getting it for her to shoot soon. Just wondering if any ladies were shooting one and what they thought of it. Any info is good, recoil, size, how you CC with it, etc.

I want to put it side by side with a G26 from the range and have her shoot both. She handles my G19 fine for reference. Kicking around the idea of a single stack too. But none got her attention today. She's small so CC'ing the double stack 9 could get tough.

The little lady wants her own pistol, how can I say no! :comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
260 Posts
You're a lucky, lucky man. There's no way you can say "no". Congratulations on your wife being a great gal and taking a vested interest in shooting. Either the G26 or XDsc9 are fine weapons, as I'm sure you know. I'm partial to the XD though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is something simply special about a husband and wife sharing the same interest. Enjoy

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Welcome to the club. My wife is wanting a GLOCK 9mm, but the 19 grip is to big for her smaller hand. Are the XD grips any smaller? Man I wish GLOCK made a single stack 9mm....

Joker1

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
My wife is short and petite. Her gun is an XD9 subcompact. She is not the world's most accurate shot with it, and only it. I noticed this seemed to develop solely after she started shooting it with the 16-round extended magazine. It tended to rattle loose in the magazine well while shooting, and would catch a finger and pinch pretty badly. She started flinching badly after this in anticipation of that pinch.

That being said, she likes shooting it, the recoil is very mild.

She finds it difficult to carry. It's a thick gun and we don't have an adequate holster for her yet. Given its size and that holsters for women are rare, in order to carry it you need to find a very good holster that holds it close to the body, and your wife needs to be a bit flexible with her wardrobe. My wife can't seem to understand that tight jeans and form-fitting t-shirts make concealing guns pretty much impossible.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the XD40sc which is the same gun .40. My wife LOVES to shoot it. In fact, when we go to the range, my wife will shoot 75-125 rounds through the gun easily. It is her favorite range gun. I would think with the 9mm, the recoil would be even less for the shooter. Let her try it out and see what she thinks.

BJC

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would like to suggest that you possibly take a look at the Walther PPS. Slim gun and grip, three different mag lengths to aid in concealment and/or shooting comfort.

I just ordered one for myself for a summer gun, my EDC gun is a Glock 19, and after shooting the PPS I really, really, like it.

My wife's current carry gun is a Glock 26, she carries it daily in a F.I.S.T. ultra-thin kydex IWB holster.

Good luck to your wife on her choice.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i bought mine. because my wife and i could shoot it well. for home and (my) daily ccp when we are out of the house. her first time ever shootin any gun she was hitting the ten ring w/ little instruction. it is a little thick though but this is something you have to tolerate if you want 13 rounds in a small pistol. looove the options for 16 rnds @ the range i wish they made a single stack for those hot summer days. but i am very confident with mine.:wave:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. Keep it coming. I would lean toward a single stack, but this is the problem. I have a Kel Tec P3at. It was what I bought for her to keep at the house. She hates shooting it. She much prefers shooting my G19. Mainly because of the grip. She feels like the gun is going to jump out of her hands. I think it has her turned off of thin gripped guns like a single stack. The gun shop had a Karh and a couple others and she could not keep her eyes off the XD. We'll see if the love lasts through shooting it. The main thing is that I want her to shoot it and enjoy it before we buy anything. That's the mistake we made with the P3at, buying it without test driving it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have an XD9sc. My wife is a novice shooter but has fired a fair assortment of pistols. Her favorite is my XD...she's most comfortable with it. Her second favorite to shoot is the Kimber 3" Ultra's in .45. Hated all the .40's she shot.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
This includes owning one or having a wife/girlfriend that really likes shooting one. My wife was eyeing one hard at a gunshop today. I have access to one, so I will be getting it for her to shoot soon. Just wondering if any ladies were shooting one and what they thought of it. Any info is good, recoil, size, how you CC with it, etc.

I want to put it side by side with a G26 from the range and have her shoot both. She handles my G19 fine for reference. Kicking around the idea of a single stack too. But none got her attention today. She's small so CC'ing the double stack 9 could get tough.

The little lady wants her own pistol, how can I say no! :comeandgetsome:

My girlfriend LOVES my XD9sc... She doesn't think she'd ever be able to conceal it on her, but she prefers it over firing the Bersa .380. She prefers double stacks over single stacks. Here's a pic of her firing it...

·
Registered
164 Posts
start small

My Girlfriend hates my XD9sc to much flip for her. Have had luck with the LCP and the Walther PPK i believe is the model. Go to a range and let her shoot all there guns you can rent and see what she likes.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My wife loves hers....she started with a .22 and wanted to move up. She chose the XDsc9. Good luck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes I have an XD 9 subcompact. It is one of my favorite guns. I
conceal carry this gun when attire allows me to. I absolutely love the XD9!

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
I just bought one for my girlfriend for Christmas. She is 5'3 a buck fifteen. She loves this little gun. The recoil isn't bad at all and its easy to conceal. It also came with an extra mag that holds a few more rounds and extends the handle so I can shoot it. When she lets me. I think once since Christmas!

·
Registered
11,497 Posts
My wife shoots and carries an XD .40 sub compact. She loves it. It fits her hand and she is scary accurate with it.

If she likes it and it fits her hand, I say go for it. She picked it out, she will carry it!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
yes, my friends wife OWNS one...she loves it..she got it after shooting my Glock 23 and a mutual friends Glock 26. she didnt like the Glocks grips/grip angle she DID like the XD's and M&P's grip angles though and ended up getting a better deal on the XD. I like it also I tried to get her to trade me for the Glock but she would not :( oh well. Her comment on XD VS Glock was...the glock feels like its trying to squirm out of my hand when I shoot it the XD is like a extension of my hand/like a glove.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts