Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks nice. Never thought of a 4 inch revolver for concealed carry though.
I carry everyday a commander 1911 with a 4.25" barrel with no problems.
Don't think with the right holster it would be a problem
Just never had any experience with Kimber products. I have shot some of their semi auto pistols and they were Okay. Just a bit on the expensive side.
But i wonder how the revolvers stack up.

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
I have been very pleased with the 3 inch K6S I bought a couple months back. Seems like a very good piece of gear. Very accurate, nicely made. I looked at buying a Smith and Wesson and would have had to do a lot of things to it to get it where I want it (including removing the lock).

I've bought a 2 inch version of the K6S for my wife as a combination anniversary/birthday present.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
I have fired a 2" K6S. Great gun to shoot, but my buddy had two of them and both of them wound up with broken firing pins soon after he bought them. Kimber fixed them, but when they came back, he got rid of them fast. I've read about this happening to other people.

I have been shooting DA revolvers for over 50 years and never had a firing pin break. So I am sure that there are many people who have not had the problem...yet. But as for me, no confidence in the model. I buy revolvers 'cause they go bang every time.

My buddy I mentioned is now carrying an SP 101, six shot .327 Federal. He really likes it. I think that's what I will get next.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have only handled the K6S revolvers at my LGS a few times. I like how they look, feel, and really like the trigger - dry fired only at this point. I keep thinking about getting one, but I can't really get motivated to pony up $850 +/- for a revolver that I am not really going to use much.

If this revolver would have been out in the 80s when I started carrying; man would it have been something. I've owned lots of different snubby's over the years, only have one at this time - a S&W J frame Model 38 Bodyguard, and I really can't see myself getting another snubby.

But I do think that the K6S are neat.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,889 Posts
Looks nice. Never thought of a 4 inch revolver for concealed carry though.

I have never held or shot a Kimber revolver.

My concealed carry revolvers are a 4" Colt Python .357 magnum, a 4.2" Ruger GP100 Match Champion 10mm, and a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum.

My concealed carry semi-autos are 5" government model 1911s in either .45 ACP or 10mm, a 5" S&W 1006 10mm, a 4.5" SA XDM .40 S&W, and a 4.5" SA XDM 10mm.

Reactions: KILTED COWBOY

·
Registered
149 Posts
Like G26Raven I have two K6s', a 3" and a 2". (Did I mention it's kinda his fault?) Both great shooting revolvers, about the size of a K frame S&W. The cylinder is smaller in diameter than other 6 shot revolvers, about the size of a J frame 5 shot, making it a little easier to conceal. These two are DAO, and that's the way I like 'em.

I had a problem with the 3" in the first few days of ownership. It was out of my hands for 7 days while Kimber replaced the firing pin. The fit of all parts of this revolver are tight and the quality is high. The firing pin was a little too tight in it's hole, causing drag. It has been perfect since. The timing of Kimbers is much more solid and consistent than my S&W revolvers.

I've shot them both enough now that I'm comfortable relying on them for self defense. I'm a little guy, so the 3" works well OWB 4 o'clock. The 2" can go anywhere.

They are beautiful.

·
Super Moderator
18,340 Posts
I've only handled them, cycled them, but not fired one. Seems fine. I'd probably prefer them to a Ruger double-action revolver.

My hand's too molded to Smith & Wessons of traditional manufacture (not current manufacture) to have a deep desire to take anything else too seriously.

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Hey ButterSmooth, don't blame me. It's something in the gunpowder that's addictive....

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I would take a revolver over the 1911.

I've had my 2" ever since Kimber introduced em in 2016. Have had zero problems with it through thousands of live and dry fires.

Would like to add a 3" to my collection. I might sell off a couple of 1911s to help fund it.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Had the 2" out this morning, with the timer. I'm .5 seconds slower on the draw and .5 seconds faster on the followup shot. I think it takes longer for the grip to settle on the K6 than it does on my P365. The Altimont grip seems to be an exact shape match to the K6s 3" grip. The sights are great.

·
Super Moderator
18,340 Posts
I oftentimes carry one of my two 5" S&W revolvers. With a good holster it's easy enough to do concealed. I really like my Simply Rugged holster with CC straps.
Five-inch Smith & Wesson revolvers? Would love to hear more about which models and calibers.

·
Premium Member
33,908 Posts
"Love" and "Kimber" are mutually exclusive terms in my vocabulary.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts