Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I have spend a few weeks with my new judge, I plan on useing it more EDC in the summer when working in the mountains,

any ways I picked up a black hawk serpa II for it and so far I like it. but it is not near as easy to CC as my glock 30...

I have been shooing everything through it and seeing patterns etc.

I have heard people talk about having the first 1 or 2 as the 000 bbuck shot and the rest as 45 colt.... I am not really sure what I think...

any thoughts on this from everyone?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Not trying to offend you in an way but other than a trail gun or boat gun for snakes and vermin I really do not see much use for it, and as a CCW handgun its far to awkward and heavy for practical use IMO. But I guess as a fun plinker or gun to carry in the woods/trail it would do fine, unless you are in big bear or cat country . I certainly do not want to be shot with one but there are so many better choices that I personally see no reason to own one unless its just for the novelty.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not trying to offend you in an way but other than a trail gun or boat gun for snakes and vermin I really do not see much use for it, and as a CCW handgun its far to awkward and heavy for practical use IMO. But I guess as a fun plinker or gun to carry in the woods/trail it would do fine, unless you are in big bear or cat country . I certainly do not want to be shot with one but there are so many better choices that I personally see no reason to own one unless its just for the novelty.
No offense taken, When I am working (summer lots of snakes, cats, black bear etc) not sold on the 45 colt being to effective on bear but better then 45 acp), during the winter when running the sno cat if you have to snow shoe out there is a good chance of seeing a mt. lion, so that was the main thing I got the judge for was carrying while in the mountains.....
it is big and heavy for carrying around town CC but I think you could get use to it.. but I would much rather pack one of my other choices for town...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Box 'O Truth - Taurus Judge

Kind of strikes me as a gun that either has too little power (.410) or too much power (.45 Long Colt). But, interesting idea and I'd love to own one just to have another choice.
I also read that, I have noticed the federal 410 000 buck shot is a little week compared to normal 000 shells... Maybe the put less power to make room for the 4th shot? the other 000 shells I shot had alot more kick and showed more penetration, but the federal patterned much better, (the wad they use) even #8 bird shot had more kick then it...

I am VERY pleased with the pastern of the # 8s and # 6, very lethal snake gun, and the 45 isnt too shabby either. I went into it with low expectations, but all buyers remorse has been taken care of.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Xoolo,

I've heard tell that the Judge was designed to be a "Static Post" weapon.

In other words, it excels at "living" (when you are there) under a store counter, in a car, or some other spot where you are not expected to move around much.

Taurus had a marketing video to bring in the women sales, but if most guys call in to question its size and weight, well...

Make of such as you will...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The Box 'O Truth - Taurus Judge

Kind of strikes me as a gun that either has too little power (.410) or too much power (.45 Long Colt). But, interesting idea and I'd love to own one just to have another choice.
Thanks Lance, that was an informative review. I have really been thinking about one of these as a car defense gun, and also as a hunting sidearm for snakes or bear. (God forbid!!) I think that a good defensive bullet in a .45 long colt would be best for SD obviously, with the first say 2 with bird shot for snake. I think that the review points out that the 3" model is the one to buy if you're going to get one.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
The Judge was used in the OK pharmacy shooting in which the pharmacist initially used the judge, then had to finish the job with a .380 when he shot a wounded robber in the head.

He's being prosecuted for murder for shooting the downed robber.

This incident points out a bunch of things - among them, bring enough gun to do the job so you don't have to clean things up afterwards.

The 410 buck out of a judge won't have the punch you are looking for, and for the size, a Glock 17/22 would be a better option. More firepower, more potent ammo, faster reloads and more accuracy.

Also...while I hate to bring the aftermath in...the less "***" factor when the investigators come by, the better.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have fired one a few times. The .410 shells spread too much out of that short barrel. I think it is too likely to hit innocent people in many self defense situations.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
A great 'snake gun' IMHO:yup:, but not a CCW weapon.YOMV:blink:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
A taurus 617 revolver is a better option for a CC or OC option. Heck I think it might be a little better as a Snakegun/SD firearm.....

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I have fired one a few times. The .410 shells spread too much out of that short barrel. I think it is too likely to hit innocent people in many self defense situations.
+1... That makes good sense

·
Registered
11,193 Posts
Their ads for the Judge are so misleading ("Can your gun do this?") that it turns me off to all Taurus products.

Too bad, because the new 709 Slim 9mm and TCP .380 look like they could turn out to be nice guns.

I'm leery of a company that will go so far in misrepresenting what their product is suited for.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I would agree some what... I will be doing more loads / shooting and I can post up what I find later, but that being said I have seen the Federal handgun shells 000 do pattern very well at 50ft, I think it is because the wad they used...
Now not saying I would feel right about carrying it for SD, but I think there might be a viable option for the 410.
I think if you were to use the Sabot wad? or a wad that would keep the pellets tighter longer, but still be able to have the powder to have good penetration. (so far the only real drawback to the Federal shells I see)

now there is many variables that also come into play... like what judge.. the defender? 2 inch barrel, or the 3 inch, 6 inch etc,
or the 2 1/2 cylinder or the 3 inch.

but I see some hope with this gun for more of a "out door" gun and not so much a "town" gun.

one of the issues I have with it (and many wheel guns) is the lack of ammo. not that you would need 13- 16 rounds necessarily, but it sure is nice in an auto.

as far as the bird shot patterns at 20 ft mine has a very nice yet bigger pattern, but it would be very effective on snake. 20 ft is a long ways from a snake, if you are that far away you can hae other options, unless you are out hunting them I guess

·
Administrator
144,198 Posts
You folks pretty much covered it.
I've always been less than impressed with the performance of shot loads fired out of a rifled handgun barrel.
Great for close up snakes but, severely lacking in people penetration.

I think the .45 Long Colt is a worthy self-defense cartridge though.

Though the .45 Long Colt Cowboy Cartridge is modestly redundant considering the more modern cartridges and loadings that presently exist.

Some of the past radically chopped & customized .45 Long Colt revolvers converted by gunsmiths to Self Defense Snubbies were pretty neat. :yup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts