Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting an alloy framed Commander-length 1911 - probably either a Colt Wiley Clapp model or the Ruger Night Watchman - as a carry alternative to my older SA Lightweight Loaded.

So - does the .75 inches in barrel length and a few ounces in weight make any real difference in concealability, carry comfort, or real-world defensive applications?

I suspect this is a case of trying to talk myself into buying a new gun because I want to buy a new gun, rather than any kind of pragmatic reasoning, but I figured I'd solicit some opinions from the forum.

Thanks!

·
Registered
671 Posts

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Although I love my big guns, you'd be surprised at the difference an inch or so shaved off can make in carrying. Will you lose enough velocity to make any real difference between a Commander and Government? IMHO, no. Losing ounces, unless you're talking about medium to high recoiling calibers, is never a bad thing. Some of us love the big steel, some of love the lightweight (relatively) poly wonders. But I don't think most of uswould groan or cry if their EDC lost an ounce or two. Look at it this way, if it's smaller and lighter than your other guns, it stands a good chance of always being on you. That can't be a bad thing, right?

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
It makes a big difference. The shorter barrel makes it significantly more comfortable to conceal (especially AIWB!), and the weight difference is significant.
Agree, the shorter barrel does not poke you in the gonads making for a much more comfortable carry.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Im short so for me the shorter barrel is beneficial.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
In the operation I see no difference. Carrying a Colt LW Commander compared to a government is a big difference.

·
Registered
20,115 Posts
I see no difference, that's why I just stay with the gov model.
Both are to long for AIWB comfort for me, so they are strong side carry only.

Reactions: ExGM

·
Registered
287 Posts
Any REAL advantage to Commander vs. 5" 1911?

I have two Springfield RO, a 5" all steel and a 4" LW Compact (CCO size)

I find the lighter and the shorter Compact is much comfortable to carry. I only AIWB subcompact, no experience to AIWB larger weapons.

BTW, I came across a picture on other forums, a medium frame person AIWB a Gov't size, to hide the grip he has to position the holster close to his midline (I mean VERY close, according to the picture), I would think he will have some work to do to go pee. LOL

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I shoot the govs a little better overall than the commanders. But that's simply due to hundreds of thousands of rounds through one and tens of thousands through the commander.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
I prefer my 5" to my Combat Commanders.....also my Gov't Model's do have a slimmer profile and point better...and I notice it.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Agree, the shorter barrel does not poke you in the gonads making for a much more comfortable carry.
Either you AIWB carry a full-size 1911 or you are anatomically...INcorrect!

To the OP, "advantage" can be either subjective, objective or BOTH. Just simply LIKE (subjective) the Commander-length better. I'd have to MAKE-UP any objective reason(s). But... I can! :image035:

·
Banned
894 Posts
The Commander was in stock, so I could take it home with me.

Reactions: Gabill

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. Any 1911 is going to be a 4:00 - 4:30 IWB option for me until I lose a LOT more weight. For now, the only gun I comfortably carry AIWB on occasion is a J-Frame on a Barami Hip Grip, and that's really more at around 2:00 - 2:30 than a true AIWB position.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
can you elaborate on how a 5" have a slimmer profile VS. a 4.25" ?

The width of the slide between my Gov't Models and my Combat Commanders differ.....and I find the 5" points better in my hand.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts