Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reason I should not shoot 223 in my 5.56 chambered Ar15? 223 is easier to find and usually cheaper. Are there any ballistic reasons not to use 223?

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Depends on the use. .223 is cheaper and easier to find. It shoots paper and targets just fine. For hunting or home defense I'd go with 5.56 and hollow points - well depends on what you're hunting. For some critters with heavy muscle like hogs perhaps forget about the hollow points. I don't know about that. I have not hunted pigs.

·
Registered
229 Posts
5.56 will generally have more muzzle velocity because of higher pressures, so if you are hunting or you want more stopping power you man want to consider a 5.56 round.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
If your AR is marked for both .556 and .223, not an issue. Never shoot a .556 in an AR marked only with .223.

Personally, I wouldn't use .556 or .223 for home defense as there are far better systems out there.
Think 12Ga.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
That is your opinion and a hotly debated topic which is not what this thread is for :smile:
I agree, but did you read my entire post?

If your AR is marked for both .556 and .223, not an issue. Never shoot a .556 in an AR marked only with .223.

Personally, I wouldn't use .556 or .223 for home defense as there are far better systems out there.
Think 12Ga.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree, but did you read my entire post?

Think 12Ga.
Did you read post number 3? My ar is stamped 5.56

·
Registered
41,577 Posts

Think 12Ga.
That is your opinion and a hotly debated topic which is not what this thread is for :smile:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

·
Registered
41,577 Posts
Did you read post number 3? My ar is stamped 5.56
Did you consider that his reply may have been intended as general information to other readers out there rather than a reply intended strictly for your post? Huh?

The rest of my post was deleted because I'm a nice guy with endless patience and tolerance.

Reactions: Erich1B

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
My Ar15 is stamped 5.56 so I wouldn't have a problem shooting either one.
No problem, shoot .223 all day long! My comment was not directed to you personally. Sorry if you took it that way.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Absolutely. I was going to provide several links, but there are literally thousands of references for this. If @molleur would like to start yet another AR v. shotgun thread, I'd be happy to participate as an owner of both.

...and it would derail your OP. Which is that I shoot mostly .223 for the reason you stated. It's plain cheaper. I also use .223 to hunt. 5.56 is used to zero the red dot and BUIS and sits loaded in a few magazines.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you consider that his reply may have been intended as general information to other readers out there rather than a reply intended strictly for your post? Huh?

The rest of my post was deleted because I'm a nice guy with endless patience and tolerance.
Not sure if your joking or not I can't tell. You think he needed to repeat what he wrote two posts earlier?

·
Registered
41,577 Posts
Not sure if your joking or not I can't tell. You think he needed to repeat what he wrote two posts earlier?
If you didn't get it the first time...maybe.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I didn't notice much difference but I usually buy 5.56--for no particular reason.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts