Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to be camping soon at a state park in VA (near Williamsburg). We're from NC (I have a CC permit). I browsed the handgunlaw.us site, but didn't notice any changes that could get me into trouble carrying there. With all the governor/legislative changes you've had, I just wanted to check and make sure nothing significant has changed for carry there with all the crazy changes you're dealing with.

It looks like you still don't have to inform an officer you're carrying (important to know being around park rangers), and you still have no force of law for "no weapons" signage.

Any thing I should know that might keep me out of trouble? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
The gun laws in VA will undergo major changes starting July 1, based on bills signed into law in February. Your best source for VA carry laws is vcdl.org. The VCDL stays right on top of the laws.

Virginia Citizens Defense League - Virginia Carry Info shows all the limits of VA carry law up to June 30.

On July 1, a new law goes into effect that allows localities to create their own gun laws. Localities can control guns in government buildings, parks, recreation and community centers, permitted events and surrounding roads. As far as the VCDL is aware, the only jurisdiction who is currently poised to do local restrictions is Alexandria. However, any jurisdiction could pass restrictions at any time and those restrictions would take effect on July 1 or later, immediately upon passage.

We have local community watch teams in every jurisdiction keeping any eye on new local restrictions. FWIW, I am the team lead for my county, with two other members on my team.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gun laws in VA will undergo major changes starting July 1, based on bills signed into law in February. Your best source for VA carry laws is vcdl.org. The VCDL stays right on top of the laws.

Virginia Citizens Defense League - Virginia Carry Info shows all the limits of VA carry law up to June 30.

On July 1, a new law goes into effect that allows localities to create their own gun laws. Localities can control guns in government buildings, parks, recreation and community centers, permitted events and surrounding roads. As far as the VCDL is aware, the only jurisdiction who is currently poised to do local restrictions is Alexandria. However, any jurisdiction could pass restrictions at any time and those restrictions would take effect on July 1 or later, immediately upon passage.

We have local community watch teams in every jurisdiction keeping any eye on new local restrictions. FWIW, I am the team lead for my country, with two other members on my team.
That information is very helpful, thank you. Fortunately for me, our trip will be complete before the end of this month.

We did the same trip last year and enjoyed it so much, we talked about making it an annual event. So if we do this again next year, I will have to pay a whole lot closer attention to these kinds of changes.

·
Registered
488 Posts

We have local community watch teams in every jurisdiction keeping any eye on new local restrictions. FWIW, I am the team lead for my country, with two other members on my team.
Yeah, basically the withdrawal of state preemption is going to make carry permits basically null and void, as you'll be playing a game of "am I a felon" any time you cross town or county line. The blue municipalities are going to adopt restrictive statutes almost immediately when this goes into effect is my guess.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, basically the withdrawal of state preemption is going to make carry permits basically null and void, as you'll be playing a game of "am I a felon" any time you cross town or county line. The blue municipalities are going to adopt restrictive statutes almost immediately when this goes into effect is my guess.
In other words, VA residents who want to exercise their second amendment rights are going to have to become very diligent, continuously, to keep up with what they can and can't do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts