Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I got my first glow on order today. I got a bottle of the original and a small piece of adhesive glow on paper. I was wondering if any of you guys that have already bought some could give me some tips. Maybe I could learn from your mistakes instead of my own. I plan on putting it on my hunting shotgun and some of my handguns. If it works good, I might put it on everything that doesn't have a scope or a reflex sight. Pics would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My experience is what ever you are going to use it on, do it right away. I bought a bottle and used two drops on the front and rear sights of a pistol. Next time I went to use it the product it had dried up completely. It was not a good investment for me.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guy told me to add a couple of drops of water every now and then. I wish I had bought a smaller bottle. I haven't even opened it yet and already I'm making mistakes! LMAO!!

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
Definitely add a couple drops of water regularly. The last time I opened my bottle it was mostly dried up BUT I added water and stirred it with a large fat sewing needle and shook the heck out of it and it was usable again.

Once it is on the gun sights and thoroughly dry, coat it with clear nail polish to keep it stable. I usually apply the glow on with with a toothpick. The nail polish with the brush in the nail polish bottle.

For a bedside gun, lay the gun down under a table lamp or desk lamp for an hour before you go to bed. The sights will glow all night long. They do for me anyway.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I didn't buy glow on but I did get a bottle of glow in the dark fishing lure epoxy for about $3 works great very durable. I use a tooth pick to apply. This stuff is thick. It's designed to dip lures in. A lot less expensive than glow on.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I used it on the sights on my P250 I had years ago. The stuff works as advertised, bright as you could ever want. The problem is for them to be truly effective, you have to "charge" them for a few seconds before use. The time needed could be the difference between life and death. Plus, IMO it's impossible to train to you sights properly if they are constantly changing brightness.

Reactions: Bandit99

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Sights looked good until I shot the pistol. Once I shot a few rounds the front sight would get covered in powder. This was shooting a 40 S&W and it was harder to see than the non painted sight. I did not cover mine with clear nail polish once it dried, so that may have made a difference. I opened the jar up one day and it had dried out. Didn't even think of adding a couple drops of water, so I just threw it in the trash.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From now on I'm going to start a new thread before I spend my money. I bought it though, so I'm going to try it out.

·
Registered
887 Posts
How much light is needed to "charge" the Glow On sights? Would the light from alarm clock or light from a cell phone work?

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
How much light is needed to "charge" the Glow On sights? Would the light from alarm clock or light from a cell phone work?
I just added to my post above but will repeat it here: Put the gun under a table lamp or desk lamp for an hour before you go to bed and the sights will glo all night long. It works for me. OR if you forget to do that: Shine your super bright llittle hand flashlight on the sights, up close and personal, for 10 to 15 minutes (like while you get undressed and brush your teeth) and they will also glow all night. If you do that often enough, be sure to keep spare batteries for that little flashlight........I have a big box of spare batteries.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I don't see it being very practical for self defense distance. If I could no longer draw and hit a man sized target at 25 ft, or so, I'd probably stop carrying a weapon. I put the fishing lure stiff for range work. My old eyes get tired and I figured I'd give it a whirl but I don't find it all that beneficial. It's not like I go to the range and turn all the lights off before shooting. Besides my home defence weapon now has a laser. I guess it might work for some folks. I'm not saying it's a waste but I'm glad I only spent a few bucks instead of $20or $30 though. What the heck at least my granddaughter's like painting stuff with it. That alone makes it worth the money I spent

·
Registered
887 Posts
I just added to my post above but will repeat it here: Put the gun under a table lamp or desk lamp for an hour before you go to bed and the sights will glo all night long. It works for me. OR if you forget to do that: Shine your super bright llittle hand flashlight on the sights, up close and personal, for 10 to 15 minutes (like while you get undressed and brush your teeth) and they will also glow all night. If you do that often enough, be sure to keep spare batteries for that little flashlight........I have a big box of spare batteries.
Thanks ShooterGranny :smile:

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
......... OR if you forget to do that: Shine your super bright llittle hand flashlight on the sights, up close and personal, for 10 to 15 minutes (like while you get undressed and brush your teeth) and they will also glow all night. If you do that often enough, be sure to keep spare batteries for that little flashlight........I have a big box of spare batteries.
TMI ShooterGranny, T M I! :rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reactions: royal barnes

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
The guy told me to add a couple of drops of water every now and then. I wish I had bought a smaller bottle. I haven't even opened it yet and already I'm making mistakes! LMAO!!
Sure, if you can get the bottle open a second time without breaking it.
It's a good product but didn't work for me. I could never make time to give it charge time.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sure, if you can get the bottle open a second time without breaking it.
It's a good product but didn't work for me. I could never make time to give it charge time.
I have haven't even opened mine up yet and I wish I hadn't got it! Darn! Oh well!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts