Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Im new here, Ive been a shooter for over 30 years. I have worked in law enforcement for almost 16 years. Here's my question.....

I currently carry a Glock 22 .40 for a duty weapon, dept issued. My backup is a G27 .40. For obvious reasons I chose the G27 for the interchangable mag's.

I carry the G27 in my vehicle when off duty. I find it hard to conceal if Im not wearing a heavy jacket. Im looking HARD at buying a off duty carry weapon. I have read countless posts here over the past 2 weeks. It seems most are impartial to a .45 of some kind. I have been leaning toward a Colt mustang or a PPK in .380. I also thought of a Beretta tomcat in .32. Im looking for any suggestions or comments good or bad.

I decided to carry full time due to changing people we deal. In this area in the past few years we have seen an explosion of meth users. One of the deputy's from my agency had his residence shot in a drive by shooting not long ago. I have also had a few "uncomfortable" situations arise in public with people I have arrested/dealt with. I dont think things will get better anytime soon. I have always been a firm believer that there was never a need for the average citizen to carry. This mentality has changed. It comes to a time to realize the bad guys already got guns, so should the good guys.

Huckster

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
A Glock 27 is pretty easy to hide IF you have the right holster. First thing is to determine if you're going to carry it in a Belt pancake type holster, or a In-the-waist hideout holster. There are TONS of different rigs out there to choose from. It also depends on your body size, and weather/heat conditions as well. If you place your Glock beside a Smith J frame, you'll find it's pretty much the same size, except for the width.
Maybe a J Frame Smith in 38/357Mag, Ruger SP 101 2in 357mag, a Walther PPKs 380 might do you also, but the smaller calibers might not be enough to do the trick on the Hyped Meth user.
What is your price range? and do you prefer revolver over Semi-auto?
You've come to the right place, because you'll get LOTS of GREAT advice here!
Welcome to the Forum!! Glad to have you here! :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Seems an IWB rig should conceal a G27 even with just a t-shirt

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Huckster. We have a number of officers here.

Huckster said:
I have always been a firm believer that there was never a need for the average citizen to carry. This mentality has changed. It comes to a time to realize the bad guys already got guns, so should the good guys.
Glad to have you with us, I would almost pay you to preach that on a street corner. :wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys. I have been looking at guns at www.budsgunshop.com. It gives size and weight demensions for almost every weapon they list. It seems the G27 is not really bigger than most everything else out there(in the same caliber). I want to stay with a semi auto, mainly because thats what I train with. I would like to stay under $500. I believe I will order an IWB holster and see how that works. Hmmm, maybe a holster for the G27 and a new gun for when the G27 just isnt right for the occassion. SO many decisions.......

Huckster

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
Huckster

Firstly...Welcome To Our CombatCarry.com Forum.
LEOs (Former & Present) Always Are Welcome! :smilygifs

OK...Now let me get up on my soapbox & preach the merits of a decent shoulder holster for "in vehicle" carry.
You might just want to try a good quality inexpensive ballistic nylon shoulder holster under a light windbreaker or very light jacket for most of your "outings" where you'll not hafta remove your jacket.
A G27 will disappear in a shoulder rig under a light windbreaker & if you pick a shoulder holster with a wide "gun side" strap you'll be very comfortable all day.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Glad to have you aboard. If money is not a problem, I would go with a Rohrbaugh R9s. Its very small and a full 9mm(no+Ps). It shoots the W-W Silvertips very well. Bad thing is its about $900. With a good holster and belt you should have no problem with a G27. Lots of good stuff out there. Combat tupperware for combat tupperware. Mind set helps too. Stay safe and I'm glad to see you changed your mind about civilians.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have always been a firm believer that there was never a need for the average citizen to carry. This mentality has changed. It comes to a time to realize the bad guys already got guns, so should the good guys.
Always nice to hear.
Welcome!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
A Second to the Kahr Line

I Highly recommend the Kahr's. I have a kahr P9 that weights less than the options you've mentioned but is almost as small. Yet I the recoil is very moderate and I can get a full grip on the weapon. With a Blad Tech IWB I can carry it and forget it's on my person. I've not fired the Kahr P40 but have heard it's quite a bit more sharp on the recoil. Kahr just introduced a P45 or whatever they call it, but in a polymer frame I imagine that will be a real handfull. What I like most about the Kahr P or PM series is that they're only .90 inches wide. The PM will fit in a pocket holster in docker stype pants pockets. Can't say enough about them. They also have one of the smoothest DAO triggers I've ever shot. The quality and reliability are also outstanding IMHO.

Gideon

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
The right holster is sometimes the wrong holster for that gun....

CLASS3NH said:
A Glock 27 is pretty easy to hide IF you have the right holster.
I carry my M27 in a Blade-Tech (http://www.blade-tech.com) IWB meant to carry a Glock M30 45ACP. That little shorty forty just nestles right in so the the grip rides right at my belt line and is sooooo comfortable you wouldn't believe it! Disappears under a t-shirt even.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'll pass, for 900 bucks, one could have a G27, G19, and a pocket holster+an IWB holster.

900 Bucks for an unproven gun that parts and magazines may not be available for a year from now, takes a real real optimist.

Were I in Wisconsin, I would be very concerned about getting a CCW law passed. Lack of a CCW law is one of the reason I do my best to avoid the state, and I do like the state and the people.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Huckster why don't you try a Galco Ankle Glove. I'm a salesman and i wear one every day i put on long pants. I carry a 26 and nobody and I mean nobody knows it.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
I agree with you Ex........The IWB holsters that are out there are GREAT.........Glad I got a response from you :) Pleny of good stuff out there .and easily hidden....:)

·
Registered
340 Posts
www.comp-tac.com

Look at the C-TAC...

I carry a G23 and G27. They both disappear...remember going IWB you may need to buy new pants/jeans/shorts...depending on how much room you laready have. And a good gun belt, like one of the many leather offerings or a 5 stitch from the Wilderness. I carry the 23 IWB and you cant see it, the 27 you cant even tell is there.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Huckster said:
Hello everyone,

Im new here, Ive been a shooter for over 30 years. I have worked in law enforcement for almost 16 years. Here's my question.....

I currently carry a Glock 22 .40 for a duty weapon, dept issued. My backup is a G27 .40. For obvious reasons I chose the G27 for the interchangable mag's.

I carry the G27 in my vehicle when off duty. I find it hard to conceal if Im not wearing a heavy jacket. Im looking HARD at buying a off duty carry weapon. I have read countless posts here over the past 2 weeks. It seems most are impartial to a .45 of some kind. I have been leaning toward a Colt mustang or a PPK in .380. I also thought of a Beretta tomcat in .32. Im looking for any suggestions or comments good or bad.

I decided to carry full time due to changing people we deal. In this area in the past few years we have seen an explosion of meth users. One of the deputy's from my agency had his residence shot in a drive by shooting not long ago. I have also had a few "uncomfortable" situations arise in public with people I have arrested/dealt with. I dont think things will get better anytime soon. I have always been a firm believer that there was never a need for the average citizen to carry. This mentality has changed. It comes to a time to realize the bad guys already got guns, so should the good guys.

Huckster
Not flaming or attacking, just noticed that it took a personal situation to change your mind about ordinary people carrying. And I wondered how many other LEO's think like this? Hope you try to explain to fellow LEO's that WE are not the problem. Most of us here would come to your aid if needed. Were are Sheepdogs not Sheep.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Huckster said:

Huckster
Maybe I'm crazy. I don't consider myself an "average citizen". Don't get me wrong, I don't stand out. I consider "average citizens" to be sheeple.

So, am I crazy, or am I average?????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts