Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been shopping. Holster shopping, that is. I've decided that I want an IWB for my XD40SC. Here's the rub: I sweat buckets, so a cover garment in summer is out...oh, and my perspiration likes to eat watch bands and belts. I also have to either tuck or go for the new style un-tucked which doesn't go with my body type...grrrrrr...'cuz of work.

While I have my eye on a few premium pieces from the usual list of custom makers, I ran across something a little different. Crossbreed Holsters Have any of you carried with one? If so, let me know what you think.

I know...I want a MaxConV SG (in budget...won't tuck...Gary has explained why in these pages)...or VMII (Can tuck...but out of budget)...but your thoughts are appreciated anyway!

Michael

·
Registered
58 Posts
It just so happens that I received my super tuck a couple weeks ago.
I really like it, I know others on this site don't like the tuckables, but I feel they have their place.

I ordered the adjustable model for a Kimber Ultra CDP and it is as comfortable as any IWB I've used.
I've carried with it pretty much all the time since getting it and in some "controlled" situations, I've asked if anyone noticed and not a single person has.

If you don't like it, they'll take it back, mine was a seven week wait and I'm keeping it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I bought a crossbreed for my Taurus Mil Pro. Actually I like the concept of the kydex and leather. I found it comfortable to wear and it fit and held the gun in place well. It also held the gun close to the body which helped enhance concealment. What I didn't like was the way the leather was run up behind the pistol grip. I found it got in the way when I drew the gun. I actually took mine apart, bought some leather and remade myself a custom holster using the kydex portion and clips, basically using the same design, but trimming the leather to an arc that ran under the pistol grip. Also reduced some of the cant which I thought was overly steep. Turned out very nice.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
If you sweat that much, what is going to happen to the leather portion of the crossbreed. Perhaps a full kydex holster might suit you better with a underarmor or other sythetic t shirt.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your impressions.

Rocky, for the record, I love UA and similar style shirts. The only concern I have about a full-kydex holster is it digging into my side...er...love handles.... Time to lose the gut once and for all. Something with leather is on tap for fall, I hope, but the temps are climbing already, so I'll probably have to go with plastic.

The other concern is the need to tuck on occasion. Like DB mentioned, there are some very knowledgable folks here who don't like tucking. However, I can't afford more weps and my wife won't let me have my .38 snubbie back. I might not be able to pull it off, anyway.

I'm glad to see a neighbor (I'm in Ark. and Crossbreed is in MO) getting some good comments. I'll have to think on this one a little more.

Michael

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ordered mine

I ordered my CrossBreed for my new G 30 about 2 weeks ago. After speaking with Mark, I ordered the tuckable one. I may use the tuckable feature, or I may not, but at least I have the option. I also ordered a pair of leather belt loops. The extra fot the tuckable feature and loops is negligable.

There have been other threads on other forums about the CrossBreed, and almost all of it has been favorable. I like the idea of the leather protecting me, and the kydex holding the gun. If the leather wears out in 10 yrs or so, I'll get another one. I think they are a bargain priced the way they are compared to other quality IWB holsters, either leather, kydex or hybrid. I can't wait to get mine and see how it feels and carries.

·
Registered
287 Posts
DizTbone said:
Well, I've been shopping. Holster shopping, that is. I've decided that I want an IWB for my XD40SC. Here's the rub: I sweat buckets, so a cover garment in summer is out...oh, and my perspiration likes to eat watch bands and belts. I also have to either tuck or go for the new style un-tucked which doesn't go with my body type...grrrrrr...'cuz of work.

While I have my eye on a few premium pieces from the usual list of custom makers, I ran across something a little different. Crossbreed Holsters Have any of you carried with one? If so, let me know what you think.

Michael
Mine came in the mail this afternoon. I've been carrying my XD40SC. Carried today mostly untucked, but took some crappy bathroom mirror pictures of it tucked
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/pqdave/misc/crossbreed/
(for anyone interested in picutures of an overweight man in a green shirt...)
My initial thoughts: Very, very comfortable, the leather spreads out the sharp corners of the gun, nothing digs in. More comfortable and more secure-feeling as far as tipping than my Hume JIT slide. Good retention, easy draw, one-handed reholstering. Mine is the adjustable version, but stock feels right.

No idea how long the leather will last, but it looks like anyone with basic leatherworking skill could cut a new piece and attach the kydex in no time. if mine wears, I'll probably get a few pieces cut and either rivets or screws to change it myself the next time.

Running about 5 weeks for delivery.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Woody: Thanks for the link from HS2000Talk...I don't why I didn't search there since the hoslter would be for my XD40SC! There was a wealth of discussion there inlcuding the holster maker.

Sevesteen...thanks for the pics. We have similar builds, thus you answered my questions about how this piece would work with my curves-in-the-wrong-places body.

I haven't made a final choice...but price will be a factor, else I'd go for a VMII

Oooohhh...bottome of the ninth...my dream....maybe...Oh, please...Braves lose! and just for gravy...CUBS WIN! Maybe...oh, please..

Michael

·
Registered
122 Posts
No problem. That thread has been going on and on for a long time now.

·
Administrator
143,579 Posts
At first I thought the idea of the crossbreed holster was an interesting & novel idea.

Thinking about it now though I can't really see any true advantage in the combination Kydex & leather over a properly constructed all leather holster.

If you sweat a lot then I would maybe go with a holster by Brommeland since I'm almost positive I read that he uses a special Acrylic polymer final finish.

That should be pretty doggone sweat resistant. :yup:

Regardless, if you sweat a lot you should keep a coat of something like Blue Wonder Armadillo Wax on the exterior metal surfaces of your firearm.
That would be because your firearm is in a humid, corrosive (sweaty) environment...no matter what type of holster you are packing it in.

·
Administrator
143,579 Posts
CombatEffective

Yes, he did. He did register here way back when.
He was here for a short while to intro his line of holsters.

Here today...gone tomorrow...he just dropped off I guess.

·
Registered
287 Posts
QKShooter said:
At first I thought the idea of the crossbreed holster was an interesting & novel idea.

Thinking about it now though I can't really see any true advantage in the combination Kydex & leather over a properly constructed all leather holster.
Price is probably the biggest advantage. The Crossbreed is very functional--I especially like the wide belt attachment points. Nowhere near as nice looking as a Brommeland, but mine works very well, and the as-delivered price is very hard to beat. Since it is specifically meant to be hidden, looks aren't as important as price to me.

·
Administrator
143,579 Posts
Oh...the lower price yep, forgot about that.

I do think the crossbreed holsters look comparatively a bit odd.
but, if it is working out fine for you then (for sure and absolutely) go with it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
QKShooter said:
Yes, he did. He did register here way back when.
He was here for a short while to intro his line of holsters.

Here today...gone tomorrow...he just dropped off I guess.
No, not really, :wave: just really busy making LOTS of holsters. I have +/- 600 satisfied customers after less than 6 months of being officially open for business. I haven't the time to cruise all the boards these days but I drop by now and then.

The advantages of my design are comfort and concealment. The whole rig is a bit less than 1/8 inch in cross-section and still allows one handed reholstering. Usually an all leather rig with reinforced mouth runs about 1/2 inch in cross section adding considerably to the bulk inside the waist.

Also the large "footprint" of my design aids tremendously in stability and comfort. If you have not tried one on, you should. I promise it's not a "novelty" but rather a very effective design.

It is flattering to see such positive comments on so many of the boards.

thanks

Mark

·
Administrator
143,579 Posts
Hey Mark

Stop in...find a little bit of time once every Blue Moon to check in & say "Howdy" & post a few holster pics & update the forum members as to what new gun models you are making your holsters for.:yup:

Especially since we are getting a ton of new members & MANY "New To Concealed Carry" people.

I'm very glad that you are doing very well.
I wish you much continued success.:yup:

Don't forget about us here on CombatCarry:usflag:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Glad you could drop in Mark - realize you are busy.

I might mention - as a fellow very heavy 'sweater' Michael - I use only OWB - and of course that ain't for everyone. Despite hating extra cover garments, I do find my combination of light weight Smith and Alexander vest over OWB does the job - and tho yes, sweat is slightly worse - it seems a better option that going IWB, well for me anyways!

My K&D Eagle Defender tho is just dandy for what I need - only thing I have to pay attention to on the gun (SIG 226 ST) is the corrodable parts like slide lock lever, decocker and also in fact the rear sight block - these need a dose of CLP to keep the sweat off them!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts