Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a almost new(less the 250 rounds through it) S&W 442 Airweight in 38spl, as well as about 6 boxes of ammo, holster and 2 sets of grips for a VERY reasonable price. Think under $550 for the works. Now my question is does anyone have any experience with these small (J) aluminum frame Smiths? I don't, I have always carried larger all steel revolvers. Also are there any issues I may need to know about with these, besides the fact that a steady diet of full power +p ammo may be detrimental to it's well being.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
IMO, the appropriate price for a used 442 Airweight is under $400 if like new, or under $350 is fairly well-used. Perhaps that's just me.

The 442 is a great gun, for what it is. At 15.8oz, it's wonderful in the pocket. As a baby revolver, it fits well in a good holster. It is a .38spl gun, not a .357 like some of the scandium-framed alternatives out there. Caution, but +P gets hard to handle. With "hot" ammo, it has a very sharp, painful recoil with the stock boot grips. And these teeny grips are what help it be so concealable.

Mine wasn't rated for +P. Though, that's what I had in it, for carry. I had put ~500 rounds through it, in total, by the time I sold it. Almost all of that was standard .38spl. It seemed to be very manageable with Remington's standard Golden Saber JHP .38 ammo.

I wasn't ever very accurate with it. I would strongly suggest first trying one out at the range. You might find you can't hit the broad side of a barn.

By comparison, I was deadly accurate with a 3" Ruger SP-101. The extra 10oz and longer barrel changed the balance enough to make all the difference, for me. YMMV, but I'd suggest a test-drive, if you're able.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I personally own one. Runs like a top, but hey, it's a revolver. Only issue I had was the piece that screws into the ejector and holds the cylinder in place. It loosened and wouldn't allow the cylinder to close. Only thing I have found so far. Otherwise they're great. Enjoy it, as it will serve you well.

·
Banned
123 Posts
Is $550 reasonable for all of that?

In my area a brand new in the box 442 can be bought for $400-$450 depending on the dealer.

Anyway nice guns...own a 642 and carry it alot and shoot it occasionally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally I would keep looking until you found a Ruger LCR. They handle the recoil better and have a much better trigger.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is $550 reasonable for all of that?

In my area a brand new in the box 442 can be bought for $400-$450 depending on the dealer.

Anyway nice guns...own a 642 and carry it alot and shoot it occasionally.
Cheapest I have found a new one here is $470 plus tax and background check. I asked and I can get the gun and everything for $500. I know the owner of this one and he bought it 6 months ago and can't shoot it very well, he replaced it with a Sig 238. I've looked at it as well and it is in as new condition, shot a little and never carried. That and the extras I believe make it worth 5 bills.

Jackawala: I have been perusing the Superduper Snubby thread as well. Lots of good info on snubbies but not a lot on this one in particular.

I used to have a Taurus 605 .357 mag and have ben kicking myself for selling it about 10 years ago. I think I may like this one a bit better as it is lighter and has no exposed hammer.

IDbound: I'm not sold on the LCR yet, I've handled one but not shot one as of right now. I know Smith & Wesson makes darn good small revolvers though.

Thank you toeveryone for their input thus far.:hand10:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I think that's a good deal... You know the history of the gun and you're getting the extras, I'd say get it. The 442 is a great pocket carry gun. Carry it with +P's, do most of your practicing with std. power .38's, shoot a few +P's so your comfortable and you're good to go... My 642 is one of my favorites...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
IMO...that is a good deal on a great gun....642 and 442 is the same firearm in different colors. both are great, and will last forever...I haven't heard of any breaking...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If the grips are above average then the deal is probaly worth it. I can get a new one around $450.00. 6 boxes cheap ammo $75.00. A good holster $50.00. I have a 637 and its very close to being my favorite gun in the safe. Shoots well with standard ammo and a joy to carry. I added a set of grips from www.esmeralda.com. I would take an Airweight over a pocket pistol jammer mousegun .380 anyday.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
I have one thought-- wish I had one.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Take $500 cash with you. Put $450 in your right pant pocket and the rest in your left pocket. Offer him $450 and put the wad of cash in his hand and see what happens.

Under the circumstances, as you describe, I think the packet is worth $500, but you may feel better if you got it for less. Right? Go for it!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I hpocket ave carried a 442 for over 12 years. It is a speciality gun for me. I use it when i know I will be wearing a jacket and can carry it in a jacket pocket. Or, I carry in a Thunderwear holster when I am wearing gym shorts, which, in Florida, is often.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I Have A Question

It is 20 years old and has an aluminum cylinder, I beleive. I have Magsafe P+ in it when I carry and just wondered if anyone here thinks that it will not tolerate such a strong load and, perhaps, explode??? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
IMO, the appropriate price for a used 442 Airweight is under $400 if like new, or under $350 is fairly well-used. Perhaps that's just me.

The 442 is a great gun, for what it is. At 15.8oz, it's wonderful in the pocket. As a baby revolver, it fits well in a good holster. It is a .38spl gun, not a .357 like some of the scandium-framed alternatives out there. Caution, but +P gets hard to handle. With "hot" ammo, it has a very sharp, painful recoil with the stock boot grips. And these teeny grips are what help it be so concealable.

Mine wasn't rated for +P. Though, that's what I had in it, for carry. I had put ~500 rounds through it, in total, by the time I sold it. Almost all of that was standard .38spl. It seemed to be very manageable with Remington's standard Golden Saber JHP .38 ammo.

I wasn't ever very accurate with it. I would strongly suggest first trying one out at the range. You might find you can't hit the broad side of a barn.

By comparison, I was deadly accurate with a 3" Ruger SP-101. The extra 10oz and longer barrel changed the balance enough to make all the difference, for me. YMMV, but I'd suggest a test-drive, if you're able.
Yup! an +1 on taking to the range. Biker would kill me but I suck with a revolver on the range. The titaniums take forever to get back on target, IMHO, and forget speed strips or speed loads unless you practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I think that's a good deal... You know the history of the gun and you're getting the extras, I'd say get it. The 442 is a great pocket carry gun. Carry it with +P's, do most of your practicing with std. power .38's, shoot a few +P's so your comfortable and you're good to go... My 642 is one of my favorites...
Same here. I bought my 442 new about $500 out the door (no holster, ammo, or extra grips at that price). It's been great for pocket carry. Not overly snappy.

What brand or type of ammo? That's about $100 worth of ammo if it is range FMJ. If it's JHP (depending on brand) $150+. Holster is worth about $20+ depending on type and brand.

I think it's a good cash price and you'll love the gun.

+1 on offering the $450 cash...the worst thing he can say is no.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a 642 that I carry a lot. Nice gun with 135gr +P Gold Dots. I wouldn't trade my S&W simply because of personal taste but you might want to also look at the LCR, even lighter and quite the rage.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Its a great gun, but that price is high for a used gun, unless the holster is really nice and you actually want that too. The ammo shouldn't really count for much IMO, unless we are talking a significant quantity.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Same here. I bought my 442 new about $500 out the door (no holster, ammo, or extra grips at that price). It's been great for pocket carry. Not overly snappy.

What brand or type of ammo? That's about $100 worth of ammo if it is range FMJ. If it's JHP (depending on brand) $150+. Holster is worth about $20+ depending on type and brand.

I think it's a good cash price and you'll love the gun.

+1 on offering the $450 cash...the worst thing he can say is no.
It is 5 boxes of range ammo and 1 of carry ammo,300 rounds all total, I believe the holster is a Galco OWB, it's leather not kydex, that much I do know. Stock and Hogue mono or bantam grips. Thats as much as I know at this point. I work with the gentleman selling it so I can get more/better information on monday. One thing I do like is that is DAO. I used to carry and qualify with a 4" S&W model 10 with no exposed hammer spur when I worked for Brinks. DAO is comfortable for me. Thank y'all for your insight.:smile: Also I may be able to get it for less, he made the mistake of saying he may have to post it in the local classifieds for less the $500 to get it to sell.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think you have a good deal. For petes sake, you have a S&W Airweight 642. This is the standard that J frame revolvers (short barrels) are measured by ... Plus 6 boxes of ammo ! Take this deal. This is a top shelf revolver. I wouldn't shoot a steady diet of +P ammo but this S&W is will serve you well for years if you want to keep it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts