Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My EDC is a 9mm Walther P99 AS. I've been through a lot of guns and really love this one, but you don't see it very often, for some reason. Just wondered if anybody else out there carried one. I carry mine at 4 oclock in a Clinger StingRay IWB holster.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I used to own a Walther PPS, nice slim gun, but to blocky feeling in hand. I think Walthers are overlooked some. The P99 is a sweet gun though. See it as you being special, since not as many carry the Walther.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The 9mm P99AS is my ONLY poly striker. I am looking at ways to possibly bring it into an EDC mode. I am not big fan of the P99 Compact as it seems is too short and capacity only +2 over very ergonomic 8 rd single stacks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I used to own a Walther PPS, nice slim gun, but to blocky feeling in hand. I think Walthers are overlooked some. The P99 is a sweet gun though. See it as you being special, since not as many carry the Walther.
The PPS has bee refreshed. It's called the PPS M2. I Picked one up recently and really like it.

·
Registered
822 Posts
The PPS has bee refreshed. It's called the PPS M2. I Picked one up recently and really like it.
Yep, I know. Its a great refresh also, with the typical mag release and much better ergonomics. I went with a double stack the second time around. Needed a carry pistol and something that I felt could double as home defense. 10rd mag for carry, 17rd for more serious business. Walthers are great though. Fantastic build quality and accuracy. :congrats:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My EDC is a 9mm Walther P99 AS. I've been through a lot of guns and really love this one, but you don't see it very often, for some reason. Just wondered if anybody else out there carried one. I carry mine at 4 oclock in a Clinger StingRay IWB holster.
Then, you should come on over to WaltherForums.com. There are lots of us who carry the P99 and PPQ (I'm a Q guy, myself). Most of what you'll still see is the people who carry the PPS and PPK, but plenty with the P99, P99C and PPQ.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a P99 AS compact which I carry some and like a lot. Some people consider it to be the safest striker fired carry gun which doesn't have a manual safety. I can't disagree with that.

The AS (anti-stress) trigger is a jewel which requires little handling or shooting to become accustomed to. Like other chopped 10-round double stacks it is a bit stubby, but in my opinion it has better ergonomics and much better trigger than the Glock 26. On mine I installed Trijicon HD sights with a big orange front dot which is most excellent for daylight shooting as well as a good night sight.

If your are looking for a 10-shot double stack it would be hard to beat the P99 AS compact. It has the additional feature of using the same sights as the PPQ and can use the 15 round magazines of the PPQ and P99 full size.

Nice handgun.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was seriously considering getting a p99AS as my first pistol but opted for a P2000 in v2 LEM.
An excellent handgun as well. In recent years I've been mostly a striker fired handgun buyer but, I have recently been seriously looking at the P2000 SK.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I was seriously considering getting a p99AS as my first pistol but opted for a P2000 in v2 LEM.
I was carrying a PPQ-9 M1, but changed a while back to a P2000 V1 LEM (.40 & 357SIG).

There's just something about a hammer while re-holstering that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.......and the P2K with small base plate is a little smaller than the PPQ/P99.

Had I gone with the P99 1st I'd probably still be carrying it. The AS trigger is very cool.

Chuck

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have thought about an H&K 2000sk. I was wondering how it would compare with my Walther P99as Compact.

I do have a H&K P30sk V3 that I have to compare with my Walther P30as C. Bottom line I prefer the Walther over the H&K. I think the H&K feels a little better in my hands (small hands) but that's pretty much it. They shoot about the same. I shoot 3 to 5 times a week and use paper pie plates as a target
drawing a 1 1/2 inch circle in the middle of the plate. At 10 yards we eliminate the circle with either pistol leaving a nice big hole at 10 yards but if I have any shots that are not toward the middle it's the H&k and we attribute that to the noticeable harder DA pull and that's my major dislike with it other than a long reset.

We have one other H&K, a VP 9
LE version with NS that's a tack driver. We really like it and had never thought about one but a local dealer had a like new used one for a little over $400
and we couldn't pass it up. A real pleasant surprise. If we didn't already have it we would get a PPQ M2.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I carry my P99c AIWB with the 15rd mag and sleeve. Most versatile pistol out there. Had to get used to that DA/SA. Never use the AS feature. It's so light, it's pointless to me. JMO

·
Registered
188 Posts
What sold me on the P2000 LEM was that it essentially decocked itself once a finger was off the trigger. It's natural state was decocked; the p99AS has a better trigger.

Reactions: Chuck R.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts