Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turkey season here in Utah on Saturday. I've never done well in the spring, but I am getting closer this year.

Saturday it blew like crazy so I did not bother going out. On Sunday, I was out before dawn hunting a small area about 20 minutes north of town, where there is a creek and agriculture is close by. At just after 0700 I heard a gobbler about 50 yards away. Tried to call him in, but no luck. He kept moving further away. After sitting for almost two hours, I decided to hike down the creek as I killed one in the creek bed two years ago in the fall. Saw nothing. By 1100 I hiked back up to the dirt road where the car was parked and as I crested the berm, I saw a huge bird, about 60 yards away. At the time, I was not sure he had a beard, so I did not take the shot. He beat feet into the woods and was gone.

This morning I was hunting the same spot, but about 100 yards close to where I thought the gobbles were coming from. Again, heard him shortly after seven and fairly regularly for the next hour, but he moved away again. Never could connect with him today.

I did see at least 20 deer this morning, which always brightens my day. And, this is the first spring hunt where I have heard them gobble, so I am good with that.

Anyone having any luck? turkey.png

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Was in Georgia last week with 3 inches of rain and wind 20 plus miles an hour winds. The afternoon of the last day saw 12 going across a grain field. I couldn't make out if any were gobblers or not.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Our youth hunt is this coming weekend and then first week of season starts next Wednesday. I set up the turkey blind two weeks ago. A family friend is bringing his son this weekend and I hope he is able to bag his first turkey. I'm more excited for him than I am for my own bird.

I drew first season so I'll be sitting every morning until I drop a bird. Unfortunately we haven't been having the massive amount of critter traffic we usually get by this time of year, but the game camera card I pulled Saturday tells me we have some birds.

I'll be sure to come back to this thread when I drop a tom or better yet, a bearded hen.

To add to your gobble comment; that's what I live for. The sound of a gobble in the distance is just a massive morale boost. The thunderous sound of one in the pine trees behind you? Absolute adrenaline rush.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I had a very fun hunt opening day and chased a flock of 8 for about 5 miles. I could get them to stall a bit but, I could not call them any closer than about 40 yards which is not a very good kill range. That afternoon I got into 2 lone birds but, standing in the pines they were only silhouettes so I could not make out any beards. I had a good 15 yard shot too. Dang, I may get another spring chance and if not I will try the fall season for the first time. How do you hunt them in the fall without mating season? Just stalk hunt them?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
We have Toms and Hens on the property They come out of the hardwoods in to back and side yards. I don't hunt. The other evening we had seven deer in the side yard. We have people, we let hunt deer on the property (5) deer per tag. We also now have an occasional Black Bear every now and then.,

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
How do you hunt them in the fall without mating season? Just stalk hunt them?
That's what I do. Haven't had any luck in the fall though.

I recently found out that our fall turkey season doesn't stop during gun deer season and start back up afterwards, but runs right through. Not sure why I ever thought it stopped, but I for some reason did. My father recently picked up a .223/12g Savage 24 that I may take for a couple morning sits during deer season. Last rifle season I had at least 25 toms right underneath me and all I could do was enjoy their presence.

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you hunt them in the fall without mating season? Just stalk hunt them?
I'm not a highly experienced turkey hunter, but I'll tell you what I have learned here in Utah. The spring hunt here is very difficult for some reason. I drew an early tag for the first time and there just aren't many birds around. A woman from my wife's church says they normally see 200 this time of year and they've seen none. I've never taken a bird in the spring. However, the fall hunt here, which goes from November through January, seems to be a much better hunt. Less hunters and the snow drives the birds off the mountain. I am hunting right now at about 5700 feet in one of the two areas where I have seen birds and taken one of the ones I have harvested. Last November we saw many flocks of birds in an area where I scouted last week and saw none.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
We can take up to 9 per year here but, some are draws. You can buy one General good statewide and one in each of the 7 areas specific to that area only plus the draw tag. I have always done well in spring in Idaho but, I scouted the roost trees the day before and called them in after they come down in the morning but, requires walking in at dark to get set up usually about 30 yards away. I did the same here but, was late getting into the roost tree and they were already down and moving. Toms only April 8 to May 21 and either sex Sept.1 to Jan 1. Should have time to get at least one? Good hunting to you.

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good hunting to you.
Same to you.

Actually, it's all good for me as I have only been hunting for 6 years (started late in life) so every time I step into the woods I learn something new. But, it is always a lot better when I am at least seeing or hearing critters.

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
I'm on vacation this week and the season just opened this past Saturday. I haven't been out for all the damn projects on the farm but it's my own fault for not being there now....... This is the AM witching hour.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Little bit of an update: Our family friend connected with a jake after sitting through two lightning/thunder storms Saturday. It was in a blind but he and his dad still had to tough it out with all the wind.

After harvesting his game, and whilst measuring "trophy" qualities, we noticed it was doubled bearded. Never seen one in the wild (only a few full body mounts) and to know we had one around the property was pretty cool. That's his second bird and he's only 11 or 12 years old.

This means there is still two decent sized toms and one big 'un running around the area. Should be able to bag at least one this spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts