Defensive Carry banner

3961 - 3980 of 4902 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Picked up these 2 today at the LGS.

Ruger Single Six 22LR/WMR mfd. 1991

Colt Trooper MK III .357Mag mfd. 1972

Both are for my wife, the revolver collector.
Nice finds. The barrel on the Single Six seems to go on forever! What length is it?

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,964
Nice, you certainly got your money's worth, PA. :35:

I've bought a couple horns from the usual online BP sources and I have to agree with you. You can't buy a kit for 20 bucks, much less the scrimshaw.
It even came with powder in it, lol.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I received $40.00 Cash and some original Charter Arms ads from the early 80's from a seller on GB from a sale that was a little off.

I bought a 3" Stratford Bulldog .44 special on gunbroker that was supposed to be in very clean condition, low usage with 5 boxes of different ammo (Underwood fwc, Silvertips, Rem 246, Cowboy loads and a local new 200gr swc), 2 holsters (a Mernickle along with a belt cartridge holder and an off brand iwb) and 2 speed clips. for $405.

When I opened the box, the cylinder was flopping around, the crane screw was loose, the front pin was backing out and the cylinder was hard to close. I tightened the obvious and shot it within a few days. While shooting, I found the cylinder would not close. The extractor screw had backed out and the recoil was peening a flare on the little sleeve and the screw. Besides that, it shot and has shot consistantly left. Plus it moves an inch or so left with every 5 yards of distance added. So, something wasn't straight - like maybe the rifling. I'd asked him before bidding if poi and poa were together. I got a 15 yard reply, plus it was a womans name on the account (but I was dealing with the man.)

I was a bit aggregated and disappointed that anyone would ship one that loose and that poi and poa were that far off. Obviously he wouldn't take it back and I wasn't hard nosed enough to fight over pay pal or a credit card - I forget which I used. He offered to help with the cost if I had a gunsmith look at it. So, I agreed and decided to send it off to Charter Arms and pay their $49.95 plus shipping. Well it came back fixed, the pull was a bit smoother, they threw in a set of rubber grips, and filed the left side of the front sight, but it still shot the same way.

Back again, but this time they paid postage. We talked about a new barrel, but it arrived with maybe a bent front sight? and a lightly chipped pair of wood grips from a Classic. But, it still shot progressively left. So back it went, but this time I had to pay postage since it was an older gun? I believe they are going to re-barrel it this time. I'm hoping for the best.

Meantime, I called the seller and told him what happened and that I had about $70.00 in it so far. I think the seller has probably taken more of a beating on this than I have. He originally paid a decent price for it thinking it was a safe queen. I really like the revolver, the way it carries and even the way it shoots. Of coarse I'd like it alot more if it shot straight at more than 5 yards. I think it was pretty fair of the seller to help with the costs, and now it's up to Charter Arms.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Pick up a M&P Shield .40 2.0 the Shield came with three mags they even gave me a free holster with a mag holder, oh yeah also pick up a .357 sig barrel for it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
Liberated from consignment at a LGS. S&W Model 10-6 with a Bucheimer holster. Dickered awhile and got my price. A heavy barrel, the lock up is tight and the bore looks good.

Nice. :35:

Do you know if yours was NYSP model, that was really chambered for .357 Magnum, like the ones @CLASS3NH had mentioned in another thread? It looks like a cops gun.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Not sure OD*. Gun store knew little about it. Bucheimer as I understand it made holsters for police from Maryland, but need @CLASS3NH to school me on this one. Barrel is marked .38 Special, no other special markings. From the S&W forum:

The Mod 10-6 was made in both 38 Special and .357 Magnum The original .357 Magnum versions were made for the NYSP and were the pre-cursor to what became the Model 13, which - like the Model 10 - was just another variation of the S&W M&P (Military & Police) line. The other fairly common but less seen M&P in the K frame was the Model 12, which had an alloy frame, and was the M&P Airweight model. There was another M&P Model, the Model 11, chambered in .38 S&W, but these were very scarce and rarely seen.

The D in the serial prefix was not unique to the M10-6 in .357 Magnum, it was used on all the K frame M&P models at the time, including the 38 Special versions. Your gun will (or at least should) have a D prefixed serial number on the butt of the gun, if you have over-sized grips covering up the butt you will need to take them off to see the S/N.

The M10-6 variation in .357 Magnum is sought after as a collectible, the overwhelming quantity of these were made for and delivered to the NYSP, but there are some that were over-run guns that were released into general distribution. The only way to know for sure if your specific gun was an NYSP version is to send for a factory Historical letter (cost $50) to determine. If it was an NYSP gun orginally it would have a premium on value, assuming of course the condition isn't terrible.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I can't carry on the belt. Just a few hours carrying IWB or OWB requires a chiro visit. I finally broke down and tried a cheap Walmart belly band holster. I've been wearing it all day and not too bad for a $15 holster. Just a few teenie weenie issues:

As with anything on the waist, the muzzle digs in when sitting. I had some leather left over, enough to put a little backer on it and run about an inch past the muzzle. We'll see if that helps.

With the pistol in about the 1-2 o'clock position, the magazine holders are in the small of my back. I don't like that, so will have to move them farther forward in the future.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
Not sure OD*. Gun store knew little about it. Bucheimer as I understand it made holsters for police from Maryland, but need @CLASS3NH to school me on this one. Barrel is marked .38 Special, no other special markings. From the S&W forum:
Do you have a .357 Magnum cartridge you could drop in the cylinder to check it?

·
Registered
155 Posts
My new Mitch Rosen RJR Thumb Break leather OWB holster (lined, "full-detail", black, left-handed) and matching single-magazine holster for my Kahr K9 arrived a few minutes ago. They seem to be exceptional. Wearing them now. I will add photos when we get our sun back. (Black holster and blackened pistol don't play well with iPhone flash.)

I placed the order about five weeks ago, expecting it to arrive within ten to twelve weeks (per the web site). So, extremely happy with the early arrival.

rx7sig

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Hi Scotty
Yep, NYSP had ordered about 1200 Smith 10-6 models in 357 Mag. Back in 1980-81 I was also informed from a Rep from Camfore (Huge S&W Distributor in Westfield Mass) That the NYPD also had the same guns Marked Model 10 but chambered in 357 Mag ( Thais was so the average citizen would think it was a 38 spl, but actually in 357 Mag (NOT sure if that info was correct though)
The 10-6 was never issued to the NYSP, but eventually filtered thru distributors to the Public Hands.
Same went for the Model 520 N Frame with fixed sights...

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
A couple weeks ago, a guy came into the Store, looking to sell some handguns and Rifles. Couldn't help myself by strolling to the Trade Counter where I saw this coming in.. Gun has a few issues, mostly cosmetic stuff, and they customer didn't want it anymore. Looked dirty and O/A condition was "bad" in his eyes, and he wanted no part of it anymore. We gave him what he was looking for out of it. I decided, that if nobody elese wanted it, I would take it, and dress it up, get it running. 30 rnd may with it was junk, but I placed a HK 20 rnd mag in it, and took it out to shoot it... RAN FLAWLESS.....Hesse rifles had a very storried past and rep for being junk, but at 150.00 (135.00 my cost) I think you'll agree it was WELL WORTH the adventure, just for parts alone, but it's a shooter and a keeper for sure!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
@NelsonHolsters, the Avenger for a 1911 sized Commander (and mag pouch) came in today. Solid work, James.

That's one sharp set up scottync! :yup:

Nelson Holsters are the best looking holsters I've seen.

3961 - 3980 of 4902 Posts