Defensive Carry banner

5901 - 5919 of 5919 Posts

·
Registered
3,375 Posts

Was at the LGS getting a holster for the J frame and found these Uncle Mikes grips in the box of knick knacks. I'm in there frequently so the owner threw them in for Free with the holster. According to some other forums these are very much sought after by J frame folks, I do like how they look but let's see how they shoot later this morning.
Oh the Uncle Mikes is the more rounded of the two grips pictured the other set is the Hogue that came on the gun.

·
Premium Member
8,590 Posts
Got some mahogony office grips from Hogue. Didn't like them, too thick. So I just sanded by VZ 1911 grips that came with my Defender and stayed with the VZ's. VZ's can be pretty harsh; but I should have just sanded them first before buying the new grips. Might use the grips for some other gun.

·
Registered
267 Posts
View attachment 354370 View attachment 354371
View attachment 354372
Was at the LGS getting a holster for the J frame and found these Uncle Mikes grips in the box of knick knacks. I'm in there frequently so the owner threw them in for Free with the holster. According to some other forums these are very much sought after by J frame folks, I do like how they look but let's see how they shoot later this morning.
Oh the Uncle Mikes is the more rounded of the two grips pictured the other set is the Hogue that came on the gun.
I put Hogue monogrips on my 360 AirWeight and love them. The only other grips I have had on it were the stock grips and while shorter the pistol beat the crap out of my hand. The monogrips make shooting the AirWeight a lot easier. Those Uncle Mike's look just a tad longer than the Hogue grips

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
First off... no.... I still have not fired the Kimber Black Ice... both bad weather and work came between it. Maybe tomorrow?

But I did find a nice little Henry H001 at a Walmart of all places for a reasonable price. I think was reasonble anyway. Was $297 so very decent since many other places think they worth $349 or so now days when they have one in stock but still not too shabby... I have a Henry in .22, a Golden boy, and I also have one of their oddball "Garden Guns" in .22 rat shot. I've got a lot of other .22 rifles, but mostly semi auto so really I just do not have a "Beater" regular .22 lever action just to shoot... so I just broke down and added one. From Walmart of all the places... She's a looker for a plain 22 lever action. Nice walnut. Seems a fine little firearm

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Ok. Henry shoots no problems but hurriedly I put just like 5 rounds. Fed and fired perfectly.

Kimber had 2 Failures to fire out of 20 rounds. Problem is I used ammo says specifically not to use on Ported firearms and I got about what you should expect except it was more that it appears the firing pin never cocked but same result. No bang bang when trigger pulled. Trigger had not cocked but bullet appeared to have completely loaded into the chamber. Manual cocking then clears it. Bullet works next time around. Will repeat, now that my other two mags arrived, with hotter ammo. Report results then.

See the warning on the ammo box below. This gun is a ported firearm.

·
Premium Member
6,434 Posts
Got a box of Blazer aluminum 9mm yesterday at three times what they're worth, but at least it helps keep me from burning SD ammo for range use. I usually don't buy aluminum-cased ammo, and never use it in my .380's, but I'll make an occasional exception for 9mm practice/plinking.

My big score was 300 Large Rifle Magnum primers. Most ridiculous price I've ever paid 😒, but at least I found some.

Reactions: airslot

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Picked up a PX4 FS Special Duty/Competition Cam Block from Beretta today (they've been out of stock for a while) and was pleasantly surprised to see that the MOM25 code still worked as of this evening for 25% off ;)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I stumbled across this soon to be extinct Marlin yesterday and went back and got it today. The XT 22r bolt action with accu-trigger. 22" barrel I think it is. The thing is mint and also had the original box and even the blue Marlin sticker inside. No manual.

I investigated the barrel number and it proves out to be a 2015 manufacture date, Remington plant in Kentucky. I paid about what it used to sell for at about $200. I think the plant quit making them by 2019. I'd not expect Ruger to reissue them because Ruger has guns directly compete with it. Id call it a soon to be dinosaur so I decided to pick it up even though the price was nothing special. These are microgroove barrel models and so notoriously accurate little bolt action things. Mags are hard as heck to find and I should I say expensive when you do find them. But overall a great little budget rifle that is soon to be a collectable I think.

·
Premium Member
6,434 Posts
The OCRAS flared up!

I've got a strong weakness for old Colts, Detective Specials in particular, and 3" revolvers in general.

Sooo, couldn't let this 1967-vintage Dick Special get away!

·
Super Moderator
18,839 Posts
OOOooo... Jim! Both uncommonly seen and yummy!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I got a little ammo yesterday. Two boxes of Sierra JHP 9mm that was kind of expensive but it rather hard to find. 2 boxes of Fiocchi FMJ 9mm and a box of leverlution in 45 colt that was hella expensive but I couldn't really turn it down. The guy at the local gun store was bragging they had gotten two cases in that morning and it was all gone, then he disappeared for a while and came back from the back room with a box and handed it to me. Wasn't marked but I took it and thanked him for doing that. Its certainly behavior I want to encourage! Got to check out and it was $45! Well... at least hes trying.

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
After using (cheap) ugly, flimsy mini flashlight pouch holders for my single stack magazines, I finally decided to keep looking until I could find real ones, either leather or Kydex at a decent price. I don't mind paying $60 or $70 for a custom double layer leather belt, or noticeably more than that for a custom leather holster but I balk at paying $40 for one decent single stack magazine holder.

After buying and returning a couple, I found these on Amazon and I can just fit two of them on the front of my belt between belt loops, since I always wear the buckle to the side of my body.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IWX3OI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are very basic but a huge improvement over the sloppy nylon things. However, 3 of the really side to side narrow "padded" nylon things held 6 magazines and now I can only have 4 magazines on my belt at one time, but that's plenty for the kind of shooting I do now.

I can't get my black 1/4" thick belt through but hubby can force it through for me. I think I will have him get the old faithful Dremel out and widen the holes on the sides that the belt goes through so I can ditch the stupid extra belt attachment that comes screwed on the back of the thing. It is nice that the compartments are adjustable for the width ("fatness") of various magazines, but no way am I going to be adjusting that width while I'm on the range, so they are set for my P238 magazines and the .22lr magazines will just have to be extremely loose. I don't do black flips anyway. On purpose.

5901 - 5919 of 5919 Posts