Defensive Carry banner
6181 - 6200 of 6228 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
@cphilip NOT my "go to reviewer", BUT, I do read the "TFB blog". Here's a review by "Mr. short shorts"! 😂

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Yes.... I got to say he is close on some observations but perhaps a bit overly critical on others. Go to that video and read the comments to it. Most of them are critical of his review. I gotta say hes right it is heavy. I gotta say that the double action trigger is heavy but manageable. The single action is very decent. The weight tames the recoil nicely but I agree its not a concealed carry gun but then again Its not marketed to be. It is not a light alloy variant at all. I disagree with him on the finish, its actually quite nice but maybe things have changed in 5-6 years? I dunno... its a beast. Its a holster gun or a drawer gun or even a console gun not a concealed carry gun. His reference to a $250 gun is way outdated. Its a $400 gun now a days. Which is still quite reasonable in todays market. But its a well made heavy duty firearm from what I can tell. Hes right in some ways... wrong in others. Seems to have an agenda even.

Now... as to the Phoenix Arms... also has its draw backs. Overly complicated safety systems. Otherwise a decent little firearms. But the redundant systems that create a confusion of actions needed to load, cock, fire and then reload are a bit confusing and unnecessary. I'd not have done it that way. There are a couple simple work arounds to change this so its not a deal breaker. But otherwise a great little gun. Nothing ground breaking in the way of function or size.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
@cphilip YES, like I said, "he's NOT by any case, my favorite (or even as knowledgeable as I prefer) reviewer*. Just chose it (that review), to indicate "time of introduction", which for sure, is evident by price change. Finish changed; like you said, maybe it's been upgraded? All in all, I'd say a good pistol, for what you paid. Think I'd maybe prefer it over a Charter Arms, or another "mid price ranged pistol", that kinda favored a S&W Model 19 clone vibe. For sure, because of the added weight. Nothing bad, that I've heard, overall.

*while he's been around for some time, and MAY have a military background, "I think he's an attorney by profession1".

1. ALL the attorneys on the forum, DON'T get bent. Just an analogy, to his not having spent years/decades in the use & study of firearms. I am well aware of those here, whom do practice that profession, and DO know their way around a firearm!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I got at replacement barrel from In Lead We Trust for my 1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless. The gun’s in great shape, the bore not so much. It shot OK but wanted to keep it in top shape. New barrel dropped in & cycles perfectly.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Well all that discussion of the Windicator don't matter much anymore. A good friend and old coworker came into town last night and over dinner he starts talking about needing a good .357 revolver. He didn't say cheap but I know him well enough and he is a cheapskate if you ever knew one. I said "Well well.... I think I just happen to know were one is..." and so it happened. I had him come by on his way out of town this morning. We shot it. We compared it to a old Ruger Security Six and a new Python. He of course didn't want to spend THAT kinda money... so he went off merrily with the EAA... and a mixture of some ammo I put together for him.... happy as a clam.

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
Two #s of Leverevolution came in this week.

Picked up a WESTERN AUTO R310AB. A Mossberg 500 made for Western Auto.
A guy brought it into the LGS wanting to sell it. Originally, it had a 30" Full choke barrel. This guy cut it down to 18" on one side and 17"+ on the other side. When he was told it was technically ILLEGAL, he gave it to the LGS.
They replaced the barrel with a new 24" vented rib/ported with internal choke. Still needs a complete cleaning and stock cosmetics.
I'll get some before and after pics for a separate thread.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Ups and usps dropped off my 5.11 shoot me first vest and and a utg "TACTICOOL" vest like HR has in one of his videos. Because I can that's why.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Found this at the local GS yesterday. One of the sales guys has put it up for sale and he had included Just over 8 boxes of various ammo with it. 170 rounds in all. Heck thats like nearing $300 of ammo by itself at retail prices. About half the price I paid for all of it. Seemed a good deal really. These rifles sell for about $600 by themselves. I paid $600 for the whole package. Id have to value the now put together rifle scope combo plus all that good ammo at $1000. Thought it was fair for sure. This one still has the stickers on it. He fired it about 15 rounds and also has original box.

These things are the new game (or kid or... well... Ricky) in town caliber. 350 Legend or (.35 Legend). Its the newest kid on the block (or something like that). Its actually quite a nice performing cartridge, not just a fad. This one, that Ruger made, is a short version in the "Ranch Rifle" line. Short and sweet really. Comes with the optics rail already on it and uses AR style magazines that can be had fairly cheaply at about $20 a pop. The barrel is threaded for a brake and has a thread protector on it. The trigger is a superb target style. Nice shooter.

I paired this one with a Bushnell scope that I had laying around just to get started and it hit the gong 3 out of 3 times after a BSA bore sighting. I had very little in that scope as I bought it in a grab bag of things. I maybe have $25 in that. Had some rings laying around too.

Neat little carbine sort of rifle. Looks like a great Deer/Hog/Coyote gun for sure. Neat cartridge with lots of power with not much recoil at all. I like it.

Read all about it here: Ruger American® Rifle Ranch Bolt-Action Rifle Model 26981

Trigger Air gun Wood Fence Shotgun
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood Gun barrel
Automotive tire Gas Cylinder Nickel Sword

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Well... well... I went to, of all places, Walmart to find a cheap metal Ammo case... found one but what do I see in the case but three boxes of 350 Legend! One is FMJ and two are that fancy black tip stuff. The FMJ is ridiculously low priced turning out to be $12.44 a box and the two black soft tip stuff were both just over $22 a box. Get this.... there were three boxes and the limit is 3 boxes! And also there was little of anything else in the case but this 350 legend ammo. It was like destiny. I mean I've just bought a 350 legend firearm with some good ammo... and I'm looking for a ammo box to put the ammo in and I find enough ammo to really fill that box! I should go buy a lottery ticket?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well... well... I went to, of all places, Walmart to find a cheap metal Ammo case... found one but what do I see in the case but three boxes of 350 Legend! One is FMJ and two are that fancy black tip stuff. The FMJ is ridiculously low priced turning out to be $12.44 a box and the two black soft tip stuff were both just over $22 a box. Get this.... there were three boxes and the limit is 3 boxes! And also there was little of anything else in the case but this 350 legend ammo. It was like destiny. I mean I've just bought a 350 legend firearm with some good ammo... and I'm looking for a ammo box to put the ammo in and I find enough ammo to really fill that box! I should go buy a lottery ticket?
That's funny, down here in southeast Louisiana, that's the only round I ever see for sale at Wally world

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Interesting. I had been seeing it quite commonly lately too but didn't have a firearm to shoot it. Now its kinda scarce but Id imagine its two fold. More people buying for deer season and more people owning this firearm. Its catching on somehow. I know once you shoot one you'll want one. But most buyers don't get to shoot one first so its all word of mouth I guess. Just one more reason to buy anything is availability of ammo. Try one if you get a chance.

In the mean time lets watch "Mullet" here sight one in... He finally gets it... watch

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Wood Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Bicycle part
Tap Wood Brickwork Gas Hardwood
Wood Hardwood Gas Lumber Wood stain
Got a another assault rifle couple of days ago. Came used in box though to be honest I doubt more than a box of 20 rounds have been fired from it. It looks brand new, a few scratches on the bottom of the lever. Not sure if I got a deal or not. Paid $1,540 out the door for it. Even the box was in pristine condition. Came with a high capacity 8+1 magazine. It's a Winchester 1886 Deluxe 45/70. This thing is built like a tank, in fact you could mount it on a tank turret. Check out the bolt on this thing.Don't really need a 45/70, my Marlin 444 will take care of any critter that needs to be shot for one reason or another.
Think I have issues.
Wood Pet supply Grey Security Line
Wood Brickwork Brick Pipeline transport Gas

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Is that a Japanese made Winchester? I do believe they made some of the finest ones from what Ive seen. Looks spectacular to me.
Made in Japan, 24" barrel. Weighs 9 lbs. What really sold me was when I put a barrel light in the chamber. That bore is as smooth as glass.
It really is a beauty.

6181 - 6200 of 6228 Posts