Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a .223 Wylde chamber in a semi that's supposed to be accurate, so I thought I'd start reloading .223.

I just finished testing grain variances and 24.0 grains seems to work pretty well. That's pushing a 69gr SMK, COL is 2.25, which just works in the Magpul mag I was using, and using VV N140. FPS was just over 2600. As near as I could tell the average was 2617. I was shooting round robin and was missing a reading in both strings, but I could pretty much tell from the FPS jump which shots belonged with which grain loading. That actually seemed a little low, but my FPS is never what the book says it's supposed to be. I wish I knew someone else with a chrony nearby I could compare with.

Anyway, considering it's an AR platform using a 9x scope that covered the dot I was aiming at and with a 6-8 wind today, I don't think I did too bad, but I'm curious if anyone else is loading for accuracy and what the particulars are. I tried a couple searches and didn't come back with anything.

Five shot and three shot groups at 100 yds.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Barnes 69 gr HPBT, 24.2 gr IMR 4064, COL 2.2615. Winchester SR primers. Gun has a PSA 16" stainless barrel. Using a 6-24x Vortex Crossfire 2. I don't have a chrono.

I don't have pics but off a bench using sandbags I can shoot a five shot group and produce a cloverleaf at 100 yds. Just for fun, at 50 yds I took a target with a quarter sized center and shot the paper out in a perfect circle.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Stripes.
Going off Hodgdon's site that should be close to 2872fps.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I reload the Sierra 69HPBT, but for my REM 700 XCR Tactical with 20" barrel, Leupold MK4 6.5-24X. My OAL will not fit in an AR mag, but is .0020 off my lands:

REM Brass, neck turned, primer pockets and flash holes uniformed, 1.7525 Length:

AA2460 24.6 GRNs
FED SR Match
OAL 2.2960

2929 FPS at 67 degrees with my Ohler 35P 10' from the muzzle. Usually runs about.5 MOA and holds pretty well out to 600.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
I reload 223 for accuracy, PA. But I went with a 223 Remington bolt action. 40 grain VMax in front of some H335 is wonderful. It's a 1:12 twist.

My 1:7 twist is strictly for personal protection. I shoot 77 grain SMK. They are wonderfully accurate for iron sights cowitnessed with a Aimpoint PRO. If I put some glass on it and shot the SMK or Hornady 68 grain HPBT, it would do wonderful things at long range.

Also, I hand load for both. Do you want me to discuss the loads or not, since you're shooting a 223 Wylde?

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I reload 223 for accuracy, PA. But I went with a 223 Remington bolt action. 40 grain VMax in front of some H335 is wonderful. It's a 1:12 twist.

My 1:7 twist is strictly for personal protection. I shoot 77 grain SMK. They are wonderfully accurate for iron sights cowitnessed with a Aimpoint PRO. If I put some glass on it and shot the SMK or Hornady 68 grain HPBT, it would do wonderful things at long range.

Also, I hand load for both. Do you want me to discuss the loads or not, since you're shooting a 223 Wylde?
Discuss away, Rob. My one AR is chambered in .223 Wylde, it doesn't shoot .223 Wylde.
.223 Wylde is just a chambering cut that is supposed to be very accurate and allow the shooting of both .223 Remington and 5.56 NATO. I'm shooting cases stamped .223 Rem.

I'm kind of curious what these same loads will do in my Bolt .223.

I'm interested in any accurate loads. Especially if you can give me a FPS.
And the twist was a nice addition. I should have mentioned I'm using a 1:8 in this particular rifle, but I plan on shooting them out of 1:7, also.

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
I hand load .223 but only for my Remington 700 SPS tactical with an HS Precision stock. Easily shoots sub MOA at 100 yards.

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
If you're shooting out of 1:7 and 1:8 I would look at the Hornady 68 grain HPBT. I have about a thousand of the HPBT Match (no cannelure) if you want some. I have a lesser number of the plain HPBT with a cannelure if you want some of those. I found that 26.4 grains of CFE 223 shot best in my 1:7 twist. That pushes the bullet at around 2950 fps.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're shooting out of 1:7 and 1:8 I would look at the Hornady 68 grain HPBT. I have about a thousand of the HPBT Match (no cannelure) if you want some. I have a lesser number of the plain HPBT with a cannelure if you want some of those. I found that 26.4 grains of CFE 223 shot best in my 1:7 twist. That pushes the bullet at around 2950 fps.
You prefer the Hornadys over SMKs?

The top target was Black Hills 69gr OTM, which is supposed to use SMKs. The bottom was 77gr OTM. So the nod went to 69gr, which shot better in all my AR's.

This group was 68gr Hornady Match factory. Ignore the hole on top. I didn't put a black dot over it.

Not sure why I decided on SMK. Maybe they were on sale.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
I shoot a Barnes Varmint Grenade at 36 grains from a single shot rifle. I'm not happy until I can get three bullets touching at 100 yards. It lets me shoot ground squirrels out to 250 yards. DR

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I shoot a Barnes Varmint Grenade at 36 grains from a single shot rifle. I'm not happy until I can get three bullets touching at 100 yards. It lets me shoot ground squirrels out to 250 yards. DR
A single shot in 223 is on my short list. 243 or 223, but since I'm already loading 223 I'm leaning that way.

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
You prefer the Hornadys over SMKs?
I have the 77 grain SMK for SD. You're going to have better luck with the 68 grain loadings in that 1:8 twist barrel.

As for SMK vs Hornady. Potato, potahto. Whatever your gun shoots best. Don't go by the factory loads though. Those aren't tailored for your gun.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the 77 grain SMK for SD. You're going to have better luck with the 68 grain loadings in that 1:8 twist barrel.

As for SMK vs Hornady. Potato, potahto. Whatever your gun shoots best. Don't go by the factory loads though. Those aren't tailored for your gun.
I like trying different higher end factory loads before deciding on a starting point to reload. It prevents me from buying bullet weights that don't work well. Especially when there's not a lot of data to be found on reloading for a particular rifle.

I'm not sure I'd really notice a difference between a 68gr Hornady HPBT and the 69gr SMK's I already have. Maybe if the Hornadys were poly tipped I might try some. Thanks anyway :smile:

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
I'm not sure I'd really notice a difference between a 68gr Hornady HPBT and the 69gr SMK's I already have. Maybe if the Hornadys were poly tipped I might try some. Thanks anyway :smile:
No worries.

And no. You probably won't notice a difference.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...And no. You probably won't notice a difference.
That's why I wondered why you offered them. They are so close to what I am already using :wink:
It seems Sierra and Hornady have several bullets that are a mere few grains or less difference.

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
That's why I wondered why you offered them. They are so close to what I am already using :wink:
It seems Sierra and Hornady have several bullets that are a mere few grains or less difference.
I thought you were trying different combinations. I didn't know you had plenty of SMKs. :smile:

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
Here's 5 shots with a Sierra 52 weight bullet from a bolt action sporter weight rifle at 100 yards, with an old Tasco scope.
IMG_2269.jpg

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's 5 shots with a Sierra 52 weight bullet from a bolt action sporter weight rifle at 100 yards, with an old Tasco scope.
27.0 grains of what, Gman?
Looks like Hodgdons something :smile:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts