Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an ad for this really sawed down AR in a gun magazine (called the PL-6) but I haven't yet seen it on their website. It will accept M16 mags! This thing looks really interesting!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
we talked about it on missouri carry and someone had the inside on the gun. She is pretty cool, I didn't realize that it was a .223 though.

I will search for the video link for it that was posted too with a dimenstration of the gun.

ETA ~ Here it is,

www.kel-tec.com/videos/plr1.wmv

http://www.thegunsource.com/shopping_viewproduct.aspx?idproduct=56520

Rendering of 2 SU-16c's
http://www.kel-tec.com/documents/keltecsu16cs1small.jpg

I think it is a sweet home defense gun. I am wondering about the quality though.

Ti.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm wondering about leather. Talk about a custom rig! I haven't seen or heard of something like this since the character "Mississippi" in the movie El Dorado with John Wayne. He carried a sawed off 12 ga in a hip holster. Then there is the tv character Josh Randall played by Steve McQueen in WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE. He had a sawed down Winchester 30-30 that he called (IIRC) the Mare's leg or something like that. It was strictly a prop gun, I don't think there was ever a version that fired live ammo.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I am hoping to read feedback from folks initially - see if quality is adequate. I have a yen to get one perhaps!

Useful vid Ti - thx a lot for the link. The muzzle brake (when done up! LOL ) does appear to have some benefit. Interesting too - which I have seen with CAR 15 as well - big muzzle flash quite a lot but some shots - none at all!!

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
A couple Customers order em......... got em,,,,,,,,, got rid of em..
mags drop out of the weapon, kinda like the Carbon 15 problem. The mag catch doesn't hold the mags (notice I didn't say "clips") in place.
Any of you remember these?( Bushmaster Pistol)I do, and they were also in full auto mode too........Sold em in the 1979-83 era..
They were VERY hidable, utilized a swivel type reciever, and you couple rest it along your arm, in order to help reduce the recoil and facilitate accuracy as well.
http://www.biggerhammer.net/armpistol/variants.html

·
Banned
318 Posts
Oh well maybe they'll work the bugs out of them soon.

I've heard Keltec is questionalble in QC but I've also heard they try their best to make something right if there is a problem.

BTW- What is a reasonable price to pay for one? I'm looking at it as another addition to my Louden-Boomer Arsenal to annoy the sand-baggers and beer-hunters at the public range right before hunting season.:stups: :buttkick: :biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Someone even mentioned a price of $425 from somewhere - thing is it seems, no way a need to pay RRP.

·
Banned
318 Posts
True Chris, Going by that I don't intend to pay more than $500 OTD from a local shop at the very most.
If I decide to get one, which'll be after I know they fixed the bugs in them.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
$425.00

P95Carry said:
Someone even mentioned a price of $425 from somewhere - thing is it seems, no way a need to pay RRP.
WOW, even better! I guess it pays to look around.

Ti.

·
Registered
83 Posts
As do I!

As far as the Kel-Tec quality goes, it must be a hit or miss thing. Friday I took the Sub 2000 and P-3AT out and hammered them pretty hard. Shot at least 200-250 rounds through both and didn't have as much as a hiccupp from either.

I would gladly buy any of the firearms Kel-Tec makes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There's a decent thread over at AR15.com about a PLR-16 that blew up. The cause was determined to be the ammo, but Kel-Tec is still replacing the gun. They've already done one change to help address this in current versions.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=420968

You can say whatever you want about the products, but at least the company stands behind them, which counts for something.

Mike

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I've been looking for something to keep in my truck. Been thinking about the Sub Carbine in 9mm or .40 caliber. I like the way it folds up to not take much space.
Now I'm rethinking since seeing the little pistol rifle thingie.

I'd like something good for 100 yards or so.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you seen the options? There is a nifty muzzle brake and a handguard with a picatinny rail and you can put optics on it (I think I'd put a reflex or EO Tech on it). But the muzzle brake is sweeeeet.

I am seriously thinking about this...perhaps instead of the Sub-2000 in a 40. You know, if you have a pistol for which Blade Tech does not make a Kydex holster, if you send them your weapon so they can make a form (they guarantee not do damage the weapon) they'll make the holster and give it to you for free! Something to consider. Maybe a tactical thigh holster sort of thing for the woods.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I just saw M2 Carbine on THR post some chrono info - thought y'all might find it of interest.

I finally set up the chronograph today to see what the new Kel Tec pistol is doing.
So this is about what can be expected from that short pistol barrel.

The chronograph is a PACT.
I was standing about ten feet away from it.

I shot five samples of what .223 ammo I have on hand.

1. 1998 South African FMJ. Imported a couple years ago. Very good ammo. I wish they would import it again.
Average velocity=2538fps

2. One of my handloads. 52gr Sierra HPBT Match. 24gr Acurate 2230 powder.
Av.=2374fps

3. Black Hills 55gr JSP.
Av=2514fps

4. New Wolf 62gr FMJ.
Av-2387

5. Old Win White box, 55gr FMJ.
Av=2514

If I can find a muzzle brake/flash hider that would prevent the blast from wrecking my unprotected ears this gun will become number one as my car and house gun.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well I contacted my local gun store and asked them to see about getting me one. They are working on it. Hope to have it soon.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
If the Kel-tec turns out to be decent quality, it'd be a fun little toy :biggrin:

ExSoldier762 said:
I'm wondering about leather. Talk about a custom rig! I haven't seen or heard of something like this since the character "Mississippi" in the movie El Dorado with John Wayne. He carried a sawed off 12 ga in a hip holster. Then there is the tv character Josh Randall played by Steve McQueen in WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE. He had a sawed down Winchester 30-30 that he called (IIRC) the Mare's leg or something like that. It was strictly a prop gun, I don't think there was ever a version that fired live ammo.
They do exist, however they're expensive as all get out.
http://www.jbcustom.com/article.htm
http://www.jbcustom.com/marespec.htm
http://www.jbcustom.com/mareholster.htm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts