Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long delay I got back pay. I'm lucky to have a decent job and the GI Bill helps to suppliment my income. I wasn't in danger of losing my home or car like some vet who have signed up for the new GI Bill and are still waiting on their checks.

Anyway I used some of that back pay to buy a new beretta, take that Obama! :danceban:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
....the new GI Bill is how I lost my old one. I get out wait a year to use my GI Bill and they changed the requirements retroactively. So I lost mine.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Terri Li,

Are you sure about that? The briefing I got specifically stated that you could keep your Montgomery GI Bill or opt for the new one.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Trust me the rules got changed alot, I ended up losing my GI Bill completely. Also you should know better, if it isnt in writing then dont believe it.
Military Service 101, unless its in writing it never happened....and thats if the Joint Chiefs dont get involved. Then its fair game if they do.

·
Registered
150 Posts
if u had the mont. GI bill, you better check again because you have 15 years from when you get out to use it, don't have to convert to the post 9/11 gi bill. You can even use the 3 years worth on the mont. gi bill and get 1 year under the post 9/11 bill.
If someone is telling you that you have to convert to the new bill, tell them no and file the Mont. bill on line.
I am still going to school and using the Montgomery GI Bill.

·
Registered
911 Posts
if u had the mont. GI bill, you better check again because you have 15 years from when you get out to use it, don't have to convert to the post 9/11 gi bill. You can even use the 3 years worth on the mont. gi bill and get 1 year under the post 9/11 bill.
If someone is telling you that you have to convert to the new bill, tell them no and file the Mont. bill on line.
I am still going to school and using the Montgomery GI Bill.
As far as I know, the Montgomery GI Bill generally expires at 10yrs after your last day of active service.

You can select to continue to receive benefits under it or select the Post 9/11 GI Bill, but you receive whatever months you have remaining under the new benefit program.

If you exhausted the Montgomery GI Bill before the Post 9/11 GI Bill came into effect (August 1, 2009), you can request benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill and you can receive up to 48 months of benefits (statutory limit of benefits vets can receive combining all benefit programs). The VA is no longer advertising this, however I took a snapshot (print screen) of the VA's website before they took it down.

If you did not exhaust the Montgomery GI Bill before the Post 9/11 GI Bill became effective (August 1, 2009), be advised, the VA has warned that you receive one of the two programs (either Montgomery GI Bill or Post 9/11 GI Bill - hence the election between the two programs). Recently the VA's website tells you that you can use up the Montgomery GI Bill and then request the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Be careful when selecting one program over the other.

Post 9/11 GI Bill

·
Registered
150 Posts
As far as I know, the Montgomery GI Bill generally expires at 10yrs after your last day of active service.

You can select to continue to receive benefits under it or select the Post 9/11 GI Bill, but you receive whatever months you have remaining under the new benefit program.

If you exhausted the Montgomery GI Bill before the Post 9/11 GI Bill came into effect (August 1, 2009), you can request benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill and you can receive up to 48 months of benefits (statutory limit of benefits vets can receive combining all benefit programs). The VA is no longer advertising this, however I took a snapshot (print screen) of the VA's website before they took it down.

If you did not exhaust the Montgomery GI Bill before the Post 9/11 GI Bill became effective (August 1, 2009), be advised, the VA has warned that you receive one of the two programs (either Montgomery GI Bill or Post 9/11 GI Bill - hence the election between the two programs). Recently the VA's website tells you that you can use up the Montgomery GI Bill and then request the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Be careful when selecting one program over the other.

Post 9/11 GI Bill
Yes, it's 10 years, my bad.
TerriLi, is it the school that told you you had to go to the new plan?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Trust me the rules got changed alot, I ended up losing my GI Bill completely. Also you should know better, if it isnt in writing then dont believe it.
Military Service 101, unless its in writing it never happened....and thats if the Joint Chiefs dont get involved. Then its fair game if they do.
However, what you've been told does not square with what they are currently briefing. If you'd like, I can get you the number for my education office and they can help you.

Or you can just keep griping at people like me who are trying to help.

·
Banned
1,972 Posts

Did you serve on AD for at least 90 days after 9/11 then you should be able to recieve the new bill

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have my application in but haven't heard back from them yet. It's like a 6 or 8 week process from what they said.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have my application in but haven't heard back from them yet. It's like a 6 or 8 week process from what they said.
Good luck. I exhausted my Montgomery GI BIll this past may. Filed for the month and some change I had remaining and it took the VA over 4 months to direct deposit the amount. I can't wait to see how many hoops I'm gona have to jump to claim the 12 months of the Post 9/11 GI Bill I'm eligible for :scratchchin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts