Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took one of our sons to shoot my wife's new Shield 9 and my new Shield 45. He liked my 45 better, but the stippling on the grip hurt his hands. He is now saying he wants a Shield 40 as a compromise. I have never shot one and the reviews on youtube and other review sites vary. Some are good and some are bad.

I was just wondering what the folks here thought about this firearm.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I have the 9mm and 40 shields and I carry the 40, the felt recoil is the same for me, it's not noticeably different. It's been 100% reliable for over 2000 rounds with various ammo brands and types. I can't say that about my 9mm shield it took a little breaking in to get reliability. The first 500 rounds had about 1 in 100 FTEs.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am carrying my Shield 40 daily, these are very accurate shoot, and when I took CHL (Concealed Handgun License) now LTC (License To Carry) in Texas. The class folks almost all used 9mm except me 40 caliber.

I scored 100% in 3, 5, and 7 yards perfect bullseye. Everyone surprised my Shield 40.

I must warn you that the Shield 40 is not for anyone who has weak wrists and this thing is big kick recoils. My wife could not handle the 40 caliber and she went 380 acp using Glock 42 met her comfortably.

If you can handle faithfully Shield 40 for it as long if you handle very well with 40 caliber.

In FBI 90-95% agents failed shoot test with the 40 caliber. That's true story!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,310 Posts
I haven't shot any Shields, so take this with a grain of salt, but the recoil in .40 is probably going to be very similar to .45. If it's just the different stippling that's the problem, the .40 might be better, but he could also put a grip sleeve on the .45.

Reactions: Instymp and rmak

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I have one that stays in my car. Pretty easy to shoot, and not snappy or painful at all YMMV. Mags are hard to load to full capacity by hand, no slide "release" only a slide "stop", and if you have small or maybe average size hands, you may have to break your grip to be able to reach the mag release. Other than those minor cons, it's a good little pistol. As a contrast, I shot my buddy's XDs 45, and the recoil was noticeably harsher compared to the Shield 40. I haven't had the chance to shoot the Shield 45...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I enjoy my Shield .40 and it will always have a place in my carry rotation. I'm not fond of the 9x19 Parabellum cartridge and I wanted something I could carry year round without needing to dress around it much. Since Ruger (fanboy here) doesn't offer a single stack .40, the S&W it was.

Its recoil is certainly manageable and I am confident in my ability to accurately put rounds downrange with it. For what it is, I have no complaints.

bmcgilvary has a nice write-up on his .40 Shield. I did a little digging and found it. His review was the push I needed to decide on my first CCW purchase and after 10 months, I know I made a good decision.

Reactions: rmak

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I enjoy my Shield .40 and it will always have a place in my carry rotation. I'm not fond of the 9x19 Parabellum cartridge and I wanted something I could carry year round without needing to dress around it much. Since Ruger (fanboy here) doesn't offer a single stack .40, the S&W it was.

Its recoil is certainly manageable and I am confident in my ability to accurately put rounds downrange with it. For what it is, I have no complaints.

bmcgilvary has a nice write-up on his .40 Shield. I did a little digging and found it. His review was the push I needed to decide on my first CCW purchase and after 10 months, I know I made a good decision.
Thanks for the link. I don' have much luck with the search here for some reason.

My thanks to everyone for their input. I assumed the pistol was just as good as my 45 Shield, but it's good to hear no complaints before we lay down the $$.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I had one and sold it. Even though I am not very sensitive to recoil, the 40 Shield was not at all pleasant to shoot for me. The 45 Shield is fine. If you can go up a little in size, the M&P 40c is great.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have three Shield40's. I carry two(1 IWB, 1 pocket), and my wife carries the third. Both of us also carries one reload apiece, for a total of three guns, with 5 mags between us when we go out. Sound like too much? Not at all. The whole setup is light and thin- VERY easy to conceal a single stack like the Shield. And then all mags work with all guns, same triggers, sights, manual of arms etc. It is a slick setup overall. BTW before I bought them I had my wife shoot the SHIELD in 9 and 40 back to back, and for her she said she couldn't tell much of a difference in recoil. Only thing that in hindsight makes me maybe wish I would have gotten them in 9 is that now the magguts systems are out there, adding more capacity . . .
IMG_1307.jpg

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
I was impressed with how the Shield handled the 40 S&W. I have yet to shoot the 45 version. I would guess it would be similar to the 40 Shield.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I don't have the .40 but I am eying the .45 Shield.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts