Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several types out there.

80 gr Critical Defense.

A few different types of 85 grain hollow points -- Federal being one.

Semi wad cutters, wad cutters.

Georgia Arms 100 gr hollow points.

Buffalo Bore 100 gr hollow points, 130 gr flat points, 100 gr wad cutters (actually 32 long).

And on top of that, a bunch of other 32 S&W long choices.

Any thoughts.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I typically stick with .327 ammo in my LCR but I have run some Federal .32mag 85gr jhp thru it and they have a nice snap to them so I would expect it would be effective as a good carry ammo. The S&W longs are a very weak round imo. Good for plinking that's about it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
For those that use the 12" penetration testing as one factor in choosing defensive rounds, 32 S&W long Fiocchi and PRVI test to 12" in ballistics gel. I'm not endorsing it one way or the other.

·
Registered
863 Posts
For those that use the 12" penetration testing as one factor in choosing defensive rounds, 32 S&W long Fiocchi and PRVI test to 12" in ballistics gel. I'm not endorsing it one way or the other.
That is surprising to me the .32 s&w long has virtually no recoil sort of like a 22L

·
Registered
514 Posts
Keep in mind that at one time this round was used in a police issued firearm. But also keep in mind that it was later surpassed by the police use of the 38 special, then 357, and even more currently the auto calibers: 9mm, 40, and 45.

I still carry from time to time my 32 HR loaded with Critical Defense 80gr. Mags, because it is my lightest and smallest 6 shot revolver......my grab and go gun!

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
I use Hornady Critical Defense in my 32 H&R mag. It is usually available online. Haven't tried the Federal ammo yet.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Buffalo Bore JHP. Georgia Arms for budget friendly round that still has good snap.

I understand that Double Tap's light, but very fast rounds may work well, but have not seen testing.

Other then that, what others have already said -- except that the old Federal 85 grain standbys may not test as well as a lot of the newer rounds out there. Compared to some others (eg, BB and GA, mentioned already) they seem underpowered for modern guns. The exception is for recoil sensitive individuals. The Federal's seem to have been developed for the older early guns available in this caliber, that were not as strong as the newer guns ... (I think NEF and Harrington & Richardson guns would qualify for "not so strong", if memory serves -- can't really recall if NEF made guns in .32 H&R, but if they did ...). Apparently, the original round was apparently designed around the H&R firearms, so was sporting much less gumption than the round is capable of, and that effected the earlier-developed loadings.

·
Registered
558 Posts
PS/ buffalo Bore even warns against use of its 100g JHP in early guns. Too much pressure, too much recoil -- but safe for all modern guns in the caliber.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It all comes down to bullet placement. Two shootings that come to mind both took place in Florida: Travon Martin and the movie theatre shooting by the retired police Capt. Both died almost instantly with a single shot through the heart and I believe a 380 was used in both cases. 380 matches up Ballistically very similar to the 32 HR.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Colt needs to bring back the 6 shot "D" frame Detective Special and offer it as a 6 shot .38 special +P or 7 shot .327 magnum! This would be a winner and this ole retired cop would be the first in line for one! Colt management are you listening!

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
It all comes down to bullet placement. Two shootings that come to mind both took place in Florida: Travon Martin and the movie theatre shooting by the retired police Capt. Both died almost instantly with a single shot through the heart and I believe a 380 was used in both cases. 380 matches up Ballistically very similar to the 32 HR.
Just FYI Kel Tec PF-9 (9mm) was used in the Travon Martin case.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Colt needs to bring back the 6 shot "D" frame Detective Special and offer it as a 6 shot .38 special +P or 7 shot .327 magnum! This would be a winner and this ole retired cop would be the first in line for one! Colt management are you listening!
I'm holding out for a 6-shot Dick Special in .41 Long Colt - but you're probably aware of my bias! :yup:

·
Registered
484 Posts
My uncle had one the had either wad cutters or the hotter jhp depending weather he or my aunt was carrying the gun. I don't believe the CD ammo was out yet and he felt either were close to standard 38 special in performance. I would think the more modern offerings would be better choices but the old stand by still have merit.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
When Federal and H&R developed the cartridge in the early 1980s, I think the goal was to match the energy of the 38 Special.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just noticed that Georgia Arms has their 32 H&R Magnum 100 gr JHP load back in stock.

It's been out of stock for a while.

I carry this load most of the time these days, and I ordered 8 x 50-round bags so that will give me enough to practice with my actual carry load.

Just in case someone else is looking for it. :smile:

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I have a cowboy gun in that caliber.. I do like to shoot it

·
Registered
2 Posts
ICYMI ...
In 2019, Charter Arms came out with a 7-shot 32 H&R Magnum sporting a 3-inch barrel, called the PROFESSIONAL (note the caps)
hopefully
it catches on !!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts