Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired one of these little pocket carry pistols. I shot my friend's gun from about 20 yards, and we were surprised that it actually could hit that far. I am considering carrying it as a backup. Anyone else carry one? What is the role of it in your everyday carry?

·
Banned
2,030 Posts
I have four of these little monsters and when I can't carry one of my regular carry guns, I will have an NAA with me. They are great guns and I feel very comfortable carrying one. Good luck

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I have one put the LR cyl. in it I leave at house for play. I am not a fan of it in 22 Mag lot of noise and recoil . Way more than 22 yet no real increase in power.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well michael t and I do not agree on the difference between the .22 Mag and the .22 LR. I am seeing an honest 300 to 400 fps increase in velocity from my magnum cylinder than from the long rifle cylinder out of my 1 5/8" mini magnum. That has to account for something. The noise level we do agree on, but at "contact distances" this makes no difference to me.

As for carrying, mine is always with me, either in a front pocket (pocket holster) or in a diminutive IWB holster. As for it being a backup, you will find you carry it as a primary more often than you'd think the little gun deserves. Case in point, I was doing some yard work the other day, and needed to refill my gas can. Without a thought I hopped in the truck and went to the closest gas station. While pumping gas a young man walked towards me, asking for money. He kept walking toward me and talking about why he needed money, some change or just a few dollars. When I stood and squared off at him and slipped my hand into my pocket he noticed the gesture and stopped 5 feet away, mumbled something and quickly walked away. The only thing in that pocket was my mini magnum, but it was a big comfort.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I have used one as backup when waring a suit. I have also used it as a third gun.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
.22 mag is a good small game cartridge, but not a reliable or effective self defense round. Plenty of pistols chambered in SD rounds are easily concealable.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My CCW instructor carried one of the little monsters in his pocket. I can't imagine the recoil and the muzzle flash from one of the short barrels. My 6 1/2 in AMT AUtomag-II has a huge flash and its barrel is 3 times longer!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I knew you could get these in .22LR and .22Magnum but did not know there was a version with a conversion cylinder.
I have wanted one of these for as long as I have known they have existed but never bought one.

·
Premium Member
6,200 Posts
They're fun!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have an NAA mini-mag and love it. Although I have a dozen other handguns, I carry the NAA more than any other gun, mainly because it conceals so easily and comfortably. I,also, enjoy shooting it. I, also, keep a Cobra 22mag in each of my vehicles that are easily accessible.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've been looking at these for a while. I can't yet muster up the justification to get one, but the convertible cylinder with the folding grip holster keeps calling to me... I look forward to hearing more about your experience with it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have used one as backup when waring a suit. I have also used it as a third gun.
Third gun? Do you wear body armor too?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Third gun? Do you wear body armor too?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
This is actually more common than you would think. I don't do it, but why knock it? Many people give us in the CC community grief for carrying one gun (or two), because it seems to be overkill to them...

·
Registered
131 Posts
my wife and I both have one. bug for me as I also carry a Sig P938 iwb. the NAA conceals well in a pocket, and its use will be very close range, last ditch effort.

sent from ...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't own one yet, but I do know that ther is a significant difference between 22 wmr and 22 lr. I've been looking at these online and am currently trying to convince my wife that I only *need four more guns to **complete my collection.

*I may or may not actually need more guns.

**. I sincerely doubt my collection will ever be complete.

·
Registered
150 Posts
To answer the OPs question: Yes. I own two and carry one of them almost every day. I also carry a full(er) sized gun. The NAA are backups in my battery. Both at convertibles, but I find that I tend to put the .22 mag cylinder in and leave it there. Those who say that there is too much flash or blast may have a point.......but who cares? In the moment, I want ANY sort of thing that will further disorient and freak out an attacker. If I appear to have a flame thrower concealed in my hand....fine!

The recoil is not an issue. The muzzle blast is not an issue. The accuracy of these guns is just fine, at tactical distances and I will likely never use one to do more than that. Fixed sights on a gun that is smaller than my phone?.....NO biggie.

If I am wearing something that doesn't allow any other option, I will carry one of these and be just fine.

·
Banned
2,289 Posts
I have a NAA .22lr. Figure it is going to be a get off of me gun at best so might as well reduce recoil and ability to do quicker follow up shots. Nothing wrong with the .22 mag round as with the new ammo they have for it from Speer, Winchester and Hornady, I have seen it penetrate more than a .380 and it expands almost every time, at least with the Gold Dots it does. I even bought a LCR in .22 Mag but have not shot it much due to lack of ammo but I may carry it one day when I am older and feebler. For now it was supposed to be for cheap shooting with future carry use in mind but the ammo is not so cheap anymore and hard to find in quantity.

The problem with the NAA mini revolvers, and I have had 2 and still own one, is their size and sights do not lend themselves to anything but an up close get off me gun and that is how I use it. If my main gun is on my belt or in the center console of my car I will carry the NAA in my pocket. If I carry a revolver I will carry the NAA as a NY reload, although since I have two LCRs I might as well carry both of them. Sometimes if I am carrying my Sig P238 I will carry my NAA instead of a spare mag. Once or twice a year I may carry it as my only gun if I am just going to a neighbor's house or something like that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts